Some Stats to Chew On | Syracusefan.com

Some Stats to Chew On

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Syracuse is ranked 54 out of 63 D1 teams in FO Percentage. Really...I mean REALLY?

Syracuse is ranked 47 out of 63 D1 teams in ground balls per game. Ooof...

With Staats, Evans, the other Maltz and Galasso coming in, there is enough raw material there generate more firepower. But, otherwise, the agenda would seem pretty clear.

Appalling numbers. The ground balls especially. As Phat said, getting GBs is about toughness and effort, and athleticism helps. Man, I miss Joel White.

This loss stings badly. Duke deserved every bit of the win, but it still hurts.

Lamo let some junk past...

We couldn't win a faceoff...

Their goalie intercepted 4 passes..

Our sliding went to pot..

If we could get just a little bit of a favorable bounce on those game themes, we could have stemmed Dukes tide, and maybe made it a true contest.

We just never slowed their momentum.

The GB stat is misleading ... The guy who wins the FO gets credited with a lot of GB's.

Fowler had 14 yesterday, nobody else on Duke had more than 4. Croonquist at Nova had 11. Massa at Bryant was credited with 6 (when he wasn't back handing the ball to himself).

Syracuse is ranked 54 out of 63 D1 teams in FO Percentage. Really...I mean REALLY?

Syracuse is ranked 47 out of 63 D1 teams in ground balls per game. Ooof...

With Staats, Evans, the other Maltz and Galasso coming in, there is enough raw material there generate more firepower. But, otherwise, the agenda would seem pretty clear.

As Extreme noted the GB stat is misleading due to the horrific issues we have at the X. SU is usually a pretty good groundball team, I wouldnt put to much worry into that.

The X has been issue since Brennan and has somehow gotten worse the past few years. Daddio is now a complete disaster and while Paduda can much it up, the next draw he wins to himself will be his first, ditto for Conroy who lays on the ground for christ sake.

As I posted in another thread the entire Faceoff group needs an overhaul. We need at least two fresh faces at the X and all new wing personnel. Lost in how bad are faceoffs guys were was how bad we were at the wings. We must have tried at least a dozen different guys there this year and not one could consitently scoop a groundball outside of Harris. In fact it was Jenkins horrific attempt to pick up a GB off a faceoff that led to the winning Hobart goal.

A lot of these X guys are moving toward teh Massa technique of winning the ball in the back of the stick and then flipping it to themselves or a teammate. Theres zero chance of the NCAA outlawing that for at least another year as the rules committe doesn't meet this summer. Desko and the rest of the staff are really going to need to pound the pavement this summer and find at least 1 new faceoff guy to bring in or were going to continue to have major issues winning another Title.

A lot of these X guys are moving toward teh Massa technique of winning the ball in the back of the stick and then flipping it to themselves or a teammate. Theres zero chance of the NCAA outlawing that for at least another year as the rules committe doesn't meet this summer. Desko and the rest of the staff are really going to need to pound the pavement this summer and find at least 1 new faceoff guy to bring in or were going to continue to have major issues winning another Title.

This is very true and was especially noticeable to me in the Yale and Duke games. I lost count of how many times Fowler did this yeaterday and then just stepped over the ball and flipped it back to himself. We have got to find a physical specimen at the X who can scrum with the best of them.

Maybe AAM could be enticed to try his hand at lacrosse :).

The GB stat is misleading ... The guy who wins the FO gets credited with a lot of GB's.

Fowler had 14 yesterday, nobody else on Duke had more than 4. Croonquist at Nova had 11. Massa at Bryant was credited with 6 (when he wasn't back handing the ball to himself).
Yup. Overall, SU lost GB's 589-568. Factor out 3 overly horrendous games (Nova, Rutgers, Duke) and SU is respectable on GB's. Not great, but prob in the top half of D1 schools.

Any chance any of the guys we have recruited might be an answer at the X?