Some stats to ponder | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Some stats to ponder

But see, you're cutting out all the negatives to build a narrative. This time frame allows you to include the 2 F4 appearances but yet you neglect the missed tournament due to Jim getting whacked with sanctions for a second time (we all have our opinions on it, but it's happened, twice). You disregard the COVID year because there was no tournament, which allows you to cast off what was a BAD team. The line in the sand should be the move to the ACC. They had a FANTASTIC team their first year in the league, but it has been mediocre, at best, since then. They had the 1 F4 run in 16 that we need to be honest about. They caught a MASSIVE break with MTSU beating MSU in the first round. I get that's how the tourney goes, but that plays to my point. The tourney is a crapshoot of matchups. Including this year, they will have made the tourney 5 of 9 times (and I'm absolutely counting the COVID year, that team existed and was bad).
Please. I am not defending the state of the program. I am simply saying that dismissing post season success as a fluke as many have is equally imbalanced. Don’t think I should have to rationalize eliminating the Covid year from my position as an anomaly, even though we were coming off our most impressive win of the year and by no means completely outside the conversation for a Tourney invitation. And I agree. The postseason ban year was a convenient exclusion. I felt a ten year sample was a non arbitrary size but no issue with any disagreement if you feel I should look at longer or shorter periods.

And I have stated continuously that I am not satisfied with our standing as of March 1, 2022. I simply don’t think it is fair to minimize 7 Sweet 16s including 2 Final Fours - a resume that 95% of D1 teams would kill for - as irrelevant to an overall assessment of Syracuse basketball

Don’t think I should have to rationalize eliminating the Covid year from my position as an anomaly, even though we were coming off our most impressive win of the year and by no means completely outside the conversation for a Tourney invitation.

I honestly think you aren't remembering the right season. We see this around these parts sometimes with this season.

Our most impressive win was vs a 14-18 team, 14 seed in the first round?
We beat Virginia AT Virginia.

We were WELL out of the conversation. We had to win the ACC.

I expect to see the same in about 2 years from now with this season.

Please. I am not defending the state of the program. I am simply saying that dismissing post season success as a fluke as many have is equally imbalanced. Don’t think I should have to rationalize eliminating the Covid year from my position as an anomaly, even though we were coming off our most impressive win of the year and by no means completely outside the conversation for a Tourney invitation. And I agree. The postseason ban year was a convenient exclusion. I felt a ten year sample was a non arbitrary size but no issue with any disagreement if you feel I should look at longer or shorter periods.

And I have stated continuously that I am not satisfied with our standing as of March 1, 2022. I simply don’t think it is fair to minimize 7 Sweet 16s including 2 Final Fours - a resume that 95% of D1 teams would kill for - as irrelevant to an overall assessment of Syracuse basketball
That COVID team was bad and had ZERO chance of making the tourny without winning the ACCT (which they have never done, not even close). Beating up on a 14-19 UNC hardly qualifies as impressive.
As far as minimizing the tournament runs, sweet 16s equate to two wins. I'm sorry, but quantifying a season as successful because of 2 wins hardly make sense. The trajectory since joining the ACC has been in a free fall. Equating what the program was in the BE to what we can all plainly see in the ACC doesn't make any sense. It has no bearing on the state of the program.

That COVID team was bad and had ZERO chance of making the tourny without winning the ACCT (which they have never done, not even close). Beating up on a 14-19 UNC hardly qualifies as impressive.
As far as minimizing the tournament runs, sweet 16s equate to two wins. I'm sorry, but quantifying a season as successful because of 2 wins hardly make sense. The trajectory since joining the ACC has been in a free fall. Equating what the program was in the BE to what we can all plainly see in the ACC doesn't make any sense. It has no bearing on the state of the program.
Ok.
1646182828215.jpeg

not a big fan of the "only march matters " crowd . tell that to the ticket holders.
i'll take being ranked top 20 all season and dominating my enemies to a couple wins in spring. JB seems cool with the latter and has said as much recently.

not a big fan of the "only march matters " crowd . tell that to the ticket holders.
i'll take being ranked top 20 all season and dominating my enemies to a couple wins in spring. JB seems cool with the latter and has said as much recently.
JB is in full spin cycle mode. If we were having great regular seasons and flaming out early in the tournament, he’d be playing up the “crapshoot” nature of tournaments.

JB is in full spin cycle mode. If we were having great regular seasons and flaming out early in the tournament, he’d be playing up the “crapshoot” nature of tournaments.

I remember when we had very good to great regular seasons and then flamed out early in the tournament. People wanted to string JB up.

I remember when we had very good to great regular seasons and then flamed out early in the tournament. People wanted to string JB up.
LOL stop it. The frustration of losing as a higher seed is fleeting and will be forgotten before Easter. What you're seeing from the fans now is years of built up mediocre seasons. These are not the same. At all.
You get a protected seed, you have a MUCH better chance of advancing far. Yes, there will be a Vermont/Richmond, that's part of the tourny (as I've mentioned). Winning in the regular season matters. Beating good teams matters. Winning your conference matters. It's not just hoping to get in and winning a game or 2. On a big enough timeline, those types of bubble seasons start to even out. We are starting to see that now.

LOL stop it. The frustration of losing as a higher seed is fleeting and will be forgotten before Easter. What you're seeing from the fans now is years of built up mediocre seasons. These are not the same. At all.
You get a protected seed, you have a MUCH better chance of advancing far. Yes, there will be a Vermont/Richmond, that's part of the tourny (as I've mentioned). Winning in the regular season matters. Beating good teams matters. Winning your conference matters. It's not just hoping to get in and winning a game or 2. On a big enough timeline, those types of bubble seasons start to even out. We are starting to see that now.

LOL. None of that has a thing to do with my post. Nice try.

LOL. None of that has a thing to do with my post. Nice try.
It absolutely does. You made a baseless claim that fans wanted to "string Jim up" after early exits. I contended that was not the case and that the frustration over those loses was much more quickly forgotten than what we're seeing now.

It absolutely does. You made a baseless claim that fans wanted to "string Jim up" after early exits. I contended that was not the case and that the frustration over those loses was much more quickly forgotten than what we're seeing now.

It absolutely was the case. And I didn’t compare anything to today. That’s you.

It absolutely was the case. And I didn’t compare anything to today. That’s you.
Ahhhhh so you just randomly pulled up your perception of what's happened years ago for no reason??

Ahhhhh so you just randomly pulled up your perception of what's happened years ago for no reason??

Clueless. And you weren’t even here when that would happen.

Clueless. And you weren’t even here when that would happen.
Name-calling and insults. The clear sign that someone has nothing to add to a conversation.

I am amazed that some fans THIS YEAR have been bXtching about playing zone. The bonehead who sat behind me at the last game with his girlfriend went on and on about it.

Does anyone actually think this year’s team would be a good time to play M2M? Really? Other years, maybe. Or maybe you just don’t like the zone. But for whatever defensive deficiencies SU may have this year, they would be magnified 10x over in M2M.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom