Some thoughts going into camp | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts going into camp

I think our season comes down to a couple of factors:

• Backup QB -- Shrader exposes himself to a lot of hits. Is Del Rio Wilson capable of seeing the field and contributing from the jump? If so, that goes a long way toward ensuring that there isn't a massive dropoff if Shrader gets dinged up.
  • OL -- which pieces gel? Seems like we have 4/5 of a high performing OL. Problem is, no natural RT, and several of the "top" OL are guards. Remains to be seen how Ialoa, Bradford, and others can fit in and provide depth. Vett's a fifth year senior, I believe, and Tisdale has started. That's a lot of experience. Need to find a functional starting group, and figure out the two-deep behind them.
  • DT -- lots of pieces here, including two incoming frosh who enrolled early. Do we have enough to effectively stop the run? Love the raw materials; fear that this group is another year away from being optimized, but the raw materials are good.
  • S -- how quickly will the transfers be ready, to elevate this group?
  • WR -- I think we've got a strong nucleus. Who's going to step up? And more importantly, how will they be utilized under new offensive coachings, in a new offensive concept?
For me this season comes down to these 3 key points.

1. GS has improved quite a bit as a passer. Critical to get more downfield.

2. Tucker does not get worn down or injured. Most important offensive player by a mile.

3. We see a couple of young guys on the DL step up. Without enough pressure, we are going to be asking our back line to really, really do a lot.

I have confidence that Schmidt will have the OL ready to go. Did not have that confidence with cavenaugh.
The OL improved last year under Schmidt in his first year. Now that he had more time I am expecting the OL takes a step forward.
DL is a question mark. I do think we have a lot of young guys with high motors and upside. A lot have been in the program at least a year. Not sure about Linton as an every down player. Possibly passing downs. Still need to see if Hough is healthy. Has Conduff taken a step forward. Think they will be good getting to the qb it’s stopping the run that is the question mark.
Excited for the season as always but tempering expectations. Will not know anything until 9-3.

All this hand wringing about Vetterolo amounts to nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

Vet was good enough that an opposing player thought it was important enough to cheap shot him from the backside and knock him out for the season.

I hope the kid who did it ends up working at McDonald's for the next 15 years

Love this time of year. I have a feeling that this is going to be a very competitive team. I have no idea how our record will shake out, but I believe that we will be in most games. What I want to see more than anything is good coaching. Losing is one thing but losing because of poor coaching, clock management needs to stop, and I believe that it will now that we have a solid OC and specials coach.

Vet's going to be the starting center.

People keep talking like he'll be bumped from that spot, but I see nothing that indicates he's not the best option there.

Vet was solid at center last season until other injuries on the line hit and things had to shuffle.
I seen something completely different. Vet at rt wasn’t bad but when he was at center, he was blown up an awful lot. Worried about snap and run side hand seemed a step slow for my liking. He tries hard but Iloua, hope I spelled it right, is way better at center. Vet is our best backup. He will no doubt get time playing with all injuries on oline.

Vet's going to be the starting center.

People keep talking like he'll be bumped from that spot, but I see nothing that indicates he's not the best option there.

Vet was solid at center last season until other injuries on the line hit and things had to shuffle.

first OL today was L-R > Berg, Ellis, Bleich, Davis and Vet

me-myself-irene-lets-roll-baby.gif

If Bleich can snap the ball effectively, that goes a long way toward getting our "best" group of five on the field at the same time, with three of them being natural Guards. Still concerned about RT, though.

Wonder if Cruz makes a move up the depth chart this season.

Need to win 4 of first 5 games, to have any shot at a bowl. So, I'm fine with this; go all out from Louisville. If any of the 3 interior guys go down, Ilaoa goes in at center, and someone slides to guard. E.Cruz comes in for either OT sub. That's my Top 7. Bradford and Tisdale after that.

If Bleich can snap the ball effectively, that goes a long way toward getting our "best" group of five on the field at the same time, with three of them being natural Guards. Still concerned about RT, though.

Wonder if Cruz makes a move up the depth chart this season.

I thought Vet was decent at RT tackle last season (better than his C/LT runs) and by natural progression would expect him to be better this season. I'm concerned with a lot of things with this team though until I'm not. I do believe these are your 5 best OLineman and Bleich working gaoline as C1 in the open portion was probably not a tryout.

I thought Vet was decent at RT tackle last season (better than his C/LT runs) and by natural progression would expect him to be better this season. I'm concerned with a lot of things with this team though until I'm not. I do believe these are your 5 best OLineman and Bleich working gaoline as C1 in the open portion was probably not a tryout.

I'm not sure that we saw enough of him at RT to definitively assess -- I still have PTSD from his stints at LT and RT earlier in his career. But as a senior with tons of starting experience, this would be the year you'd expect him to peak.

Hope Vet is up to the task. If not, we'll need someone to ascend -- as stated earlier, I felt like we played with 4/5 of a strong line last year, and that's my fear again this season. I know how Vet graded last year, but I am concerned about him at tackle.

I'm not sure that we saw enough of him at RT to definitively assess -- I still have PTSD from his stints at LT and RT earlier in his career. But as a senior with tons of starting experience, this would be the year you'd expect him to peak.

Hope Vet is up to the task. If not, we'll need someone to ascend -- as stated earlier, I felt like we played with 4/5 of a strong line last year, and that's my fear again this season.

Agreed.

It does appear like we've got some viable parts if any of the starting 5 get dinged or aren't effective.
Seems like a matter of time before Enrique Cruz cracks the rotation. He's gonna be a stud.
Ilaoa and Red now have seasoning and experience.

Tisdale & Bradford have the requisite size, at least.

Here's hoping we never hafta see Rhino as an actual OL ever again.
(nothing against Chris, he's a team-first dude who will do whatever it takes to help, but that's not the best use of his skills)

Most importantly - Coach Schmidt is a guy who can coach dudes up, and has proven it.

Hope Vet is up to the task. If not, we'll need someone to ascend -- as stated earlier, I felt like we played with 4/5 of a strong line last year, and that's my fear again this season. I know how Vet graded last year, but I am concerned about him at tackle.

Vet played 341 snaps at RT last year, 118 at C and 10 at LT. He graded fine at RT and overall graded higher than Servais, Davis, Ellis, Illoa, and Tisdale. And wasn’t that far behind Bleich. Berg was well ahead of all of them obviously.

I thought he played a lot at RT. 6-8 games?

I'm kind of confused over the Cruz hype.

He's our tailgate guy. Cool.

He was a decently rated croot. Cool.

But I don't feel like we've actually heard a lot about him from the staff, and certainly haven't seen him.

Yet his name comes up by fans on the board as a guy that could push for snaps, or maybe even bump an experienced guy.

What am I missing? Is something real there, or is this just fan hype?

But I don't feel like we've actually heard a lot about him from the staff, and certainly haven't seen him.

Yet his name comes up by fans on the board as a guy that could push for snaps, or maybe even bump an experienced guy.

I think it started with the rating and fan hype, but Bergeron mentioned him specifically at the ACC event I believe. That was the clincher for me.

You’ll see in time

From everything I’ve heard from good sources, he’s been a stud in spring and they expect him to build even more on that in camp.

He’s one of the first one in and last out kinda guys. Always working to improve his game. Very high motor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom