Some thoughts on 2020-21 | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts on 2020-21

billsin01

All American
Some food for thought given that the goal at this point is to try to win the next couple and at least have something to build on. For this exercise, I'm going to assume the following:
  • Hughes moves on -- love to have him back but not sure it makes a ton of sense for him
  • Carey transfers -- be interesting to have him back but my guess is that he seeks greener pastures
  • Washington is not truly a member of the guard rotation -- not sure he'd transfer and hope he stays but I doubt he figures too much into the rotation
  • Braswell is a non-factor -- I loved this kid and am rooting for him but the reports on his shins didn't sound good even looking forward so I think it's tough to count on him being a big part of the rotation.
If others feel differently, that's cool, just explaining my rationale on those players. Having said that, some thoughts on what we need/hope to see going forward.
  1. Would love to see this team play smarter defensively and avoid silly fouls to bigs
    If you had told me preseason that Sidibe would be healthy all year, average 7 rpg and be a functional catch/finish guy down low I would have been pretty happy. Yes, we know he is going to get bullied by true bigs and it would have been nice to see him playing closer to like 225, but ultimately that's not bad production. Same with Marek going for 10/6.5/3. That would have been a win. Not sure I would have said that guarantees us an NCAA berth but pretty solid. The issue is these guys have spent so much time on the bench. Sid is averaging 23 mpg. If he's averaging more like 28-30 we would have been better this season. Marek is averaging 33 mpg, which is good and I, like everyone else, don't love the idea of guys having to play 40 mpg, but the reason he's at 33 is b/c he's been in foul trouble so often. That has hurt us and hurt his numbers. Need to come back next year and see both of these guys play smarter down low.

2. Need to see the frosh take a step forward
    Girard will never be the prototypical Syracuse PG (beating guys off the dribble, using his length to disrupt teams defensively) but he's been solid even if the efficiency has been a little hit or miss. Guerrier has really come on late and been a key factor in our ability to at least be respectable in conference. Edwards has had some moments for a raw, not terribly highly recruited big. Goodine has struggled but played a bit more of late. JBA, obviously, has redshirted. Really need to see Girard and Guerrier become more consistent and well-rounded offensively and, ideally, defensively as well as a couple of the other guys emerge as legitimate rotation pieces -- goodine as a third guard and either edwards or JBA as a functional piece of the rotation. The Edwards/JBA combo is particularly important given the first point on foul trouble. Guerrier is a pretty big 'X factor' if he can start knocking down a few jumpers and maybe improve a bit off the dribble. I say that knowing it's a bit unfair, but if there is no Hughes, Guerrier could become a de facto go-to guy at times. That's tricky.
  3. Strength and conditioning gains in the offseason
    Hasn't been a strength for some reason. There are examples of guys who have improved while here -- Hughes, Marek, Gbinije, etc. -- have all improved as players but we haven't seen many guys change their physique. I don't really believe Marek/Sidibe will come back jacked or Girard will be two steps quicker, but even 10 pounds for Sid/Marek would help and Girard could get stronger and/or quicker if he's going nuts in the gym. Edwards needs to get stronger as well. The nice thing is that the two bigs are at least starting from better spots than the veterans we have now. Really hope we can work with them to improve.

4. How do we replace Hughes' offensive output?
    Really sort of the biggest matzo ball hanging out there for us right now. I don't worry about Hughes shooting a ton b/c he's under 30% from three in ACC play (not his fault, he's carrying a huge load). I think people underrate how much we could improve defensively and on the glass with sophomore Guerrier getting a bunch of Hughes' minutes (I feel like Hughes is really inconsistent on defense and not a great rebounder). But trying to replace Hughes' ability to create a shot could be a huge issue (his 5.3 FTs a game compared with Buddy's 1.3 a game and Joe's 3.1 despite a bunch of FTs in late game situations are a big issue). A more consistent Girard would help and a more well-rounded Guerrier would be great. A bit more from Goodine and Marek wouldn't hurt, but I really do wonder how we create a look in those key moments when we need to stop a run or try to ice a game. Rebounding and defense were huge question marks coming into this year and they doomed us. This is the huge question for next year and I'm pretty concerned that we'd struggle significantly here as well. I guess we go to Buddy?
Overall outlook
Not sure what to think exactly but I'm not entirely certain Hughes' likely departure blows up our season. The concern, which I share, is that a lot of our guys are pretty decent players and pretty fun to root for but maybe miscast in the roles they play. You'd love Dolezaj ... if he was your sixth man. You'd love Girard ... if he was your third guard. You'd love Buddy if you had a PG who broke down defenders and kicked to an open Buddy on the wing. Sidibe would be an overqualified backup center but isn't ideal as your starter.

But, having said that, is there a path for this group to get to 20+ regular season wins and get back to the dance? I think so. We need to get something from the young bigs and continued improvement from Sidibe/Marek. To be honest, Sidibe's 7 rebs in 23 minutes is pretty damn good for a cuse center. He's also a pretty decent catch/finish guy and put-back guy, which is fine. He's just got to be able to stay on the floor. Same with Marek -- he can be a 12-13 ppg guy who passes well and battles on the glass.

We also need to see Guerrier look more like Hak (not that they're terribly similar players) than Terrance Roberts. Needs to show some offensive refinement.

Girard's freshman season has been pretty darn good for a kid walking into the big time from Glens Falls. The turnovers have hurt us the past few games, but he pushes the tempo, has good vision, can shoot the ball and I think he has more ability to create a shot than we've seen. We just need him to be more consistent on both ends (he sometimes gets caught ball watching on defense). His height, or lack thereof, will always be an issue defensively, but he should be a solid player for us.

Goodine needs to be good enough offensively that we can take advantage of his strong defensive potential. Kadary and Woody? I'd be surprised if we get much out of either but maybe Kadary surprises and can help some with the shot creating.

Buddy is what he is, IMO, in terms of upside but he's a really solid offensive option and he's improved enough to be passable on defense.

We've done some good things but just haven't been able to figure out enough defensively and on the glass. If we can improve in those areas next year with Guerrier in the lineup and hopefully Sidibe/Marek staying on the floor a bit better as well as some sort of contribution from the younger bigs, we should at least be more effective on that end. Finding a go-to guy when we need a shot offensively is the difference between another .500-ish season and more like a 20-21 win season.

Strongly disagree. Unless your definition of passable is that they can pass right through him.
Felt that way last year. He’s not great there but I think he’s better than last year and something approaching ok.

Carve it in stone 13 to 15 more losses next year. I don't think the roster configuration will make much difference. Boeheim is a good enough coach to figure out how to win 17 or 18 games without Hughes, but even with him the system and overall talent isn't that great. At this point we are a perpetual bubble team regardless.

Which stats? Eye test for me. I could be wrong. Do you have individual metrics on buddy?
There were some advanced metrics that showed Buddy was the most picked on defender. I’m too lazy to find it but it was discussed last week when JB lashed out at pomeroy.

A note of caution about these early forecasts of next season. How wrong were people about Buddy’s ability to play? Or Girard? Both were positive surprises, while others (Carey and Guerrier) did not live up to early forecasts.

‘The 2019-20 team was limited due to the lack of a third guard and the lack of size and depth inside. Could not defend any strong center. The guard spot could be fixed by Kadry (if he can earn minutes in the rotation) and inside depth could be fixed if Guerrier develops, Ajak can compete, or Edwards adds some muscle. There are several possible options — something that was not the case this season. Buddy has exceeded expectations (offensively) both as a frosh and again as a sophomore. He might have another season of improvements. Not all good things will happen, but there are plenty of ways to get better when 6 of your top 7 players return.

i'd say bullet points 1 and 2 are highly likely. hughes is a grad and JB has burned all bridges with carey.
not sure washington leaves. hope not. 40 minutes of buddy and joe are gonna mean another NIT.

Last edited:
Not sure why posters think Edwards can gain muscle. Look at his frame, he make dolemite look like a bulgarian weightlifter! I think he can be somewhat effective offensively and disruptive defensively with his wingspan but a good rebounder--forget about it. No quick hops and lack of strength are fatal to being an effective rebounder. PS I would love to be wrong about him.

Not sure why posters think Edwards can gain muscle. Look at his frame, he make dolemite look like a bulgarian weightlifter! I think he can be somewhat effective offensively and disruptive defensively with his wingspan but a good rebounder--forget about it. No quick hops and lack of strength are fatal to being an effective rebounder. PS I would love to be wrong about him.
I believe he said he already put on 20 pounds since he arrived last summer. Who says he can’t put on 25 pounds with an entire year to work with.

Buddy to the 3 if Eli leaves. If this isn’t gonna happen I want a new coach as I think the program won’t go .500 next year unless we really load up on OOC cupcakes (to give us no shot at a bid) without a huge grad transfer which is unlikely as they’d take PT away from Buddy.

Don’t care what happens with the other guys mentioned in the OP. I’d like to see Edwards redshirted. The 2 forward spots are set with Marek Sid and Quincy. I’d like both Jesse and Ajok to have 3 years remaining when Marek and Sid are gone. Eli was a third year guy when he started playing for us and both should be very good as third year guys when they get meaningful minutes.

Kadary and Woody nice backup options at the 2 and 3 spots. Hope Brycen takes a big step forward I think he will.

Only hope that I have is

1. Richmond or Woody pull a Moten and come in and greatly exceed expectations or we pull an as yet unidentified grad transfer that proves to be a Wes like difference maker.

2. Boeheim limits both Buddy and Joes minutes significantly.

3. Marek doesn’t start and play 30+ minutes. He occasionally does the spectacular, but more frequently does the stupid. He has great qualities for a 6th man, but he’s not a third option on a winning team.

4. JBA or Jesse are able to either supplant or truly push City Bay for minutes and not because they are all equally bad.

Assuming Eli leaves I am not optimistic with the personnel and game plan we’ll have.

There were some advanced metrics that showed Buddy was the most picked on defender. I’m too lazy to find it but it was discussed last week when JB lashed out at pomeroy.

Ah, didn't see those. Maybe. I'm definitely going off the eye test. He's not a great defender, I know that, but I haven't noticed him getting picked on specifically this year. Last year, it happened all game long. The Baylor game was insane. Not a hill I'm going to die on, but just think it's looked a little better this year.

Ah, didn't see those. Maybe. I'm definitely going off the eye test. He's not a great defender, I know that, but I haven't noticed him getting picked on specifically this year. Last year, it happened all game long. The Baylor game was insane. Not a hill I'm going to die on, but just think it's looked a little better this year.

Probably because JGIII is similarly picked on so it doesn’t appear to be all BB?

Only hope that I have is

1. Richmond or Woody pull a Moten and come in and greatly exceed expectations or we pull an as yet unidentified grad transfer that proves to be a Wes like difference maker.

2. Boeheim limits both Buddy and Joes minutes significantly.

3. Marek doesn’t start and play 30+ minutes. He occasionally does the spectacular, but more frequently does the stupid. He has great qualities for a 6th man, but he’s not a third option on a winning team.

4. JBA or Jesse are able to either supplant or truly push City Bay for minutes and not because they are all equally bad.

Assuming Eli leaves I am not optimistic with the personnel and game plan we’ll have.

So you're down on this group then. I get that. i'm not sure I get why people don't think guys can improve but I get it. I'd love a legit third guard to give us a different look and more flexibility but I'm not entirely sure we have that. Like Goodine but he's very much trying to figure things out and Kadary sounds good but we haven't hit a home run (in a moten kind of way) in a while.

I don't think you're going to see most of what you're hoping for but I do think Edwards/JBA could contribute more meaningfully and we could see another guard play closer to 20 mins theoretically b/c either Kadary brings the ability to beat his guy 1-on-1 or Goodine adds a combination of OK offense and high-end defense. But I don't see a world where we don't see a healthy dose of Joe/Buddy (I would think at least 30 mpg on average) or significantly limited minutes for Dolezaj.

Buddy to the 3 if Eli leaves. If this isn’t gonna happen I want a new coach as I think the program won’t go .500 next year unless we really load up on OOC cupcakes (to give us no shot at a bid) without a huge grad transfer which is unlikely as they’d take PT away from Buddy.

Don’t care what happens with the other guys mentioned in the OP. I’d like to see Edwards redshirted. The 2 forward spots are set with Marek Sid and Quincy. I’d like both Jesse and Ajok to have 3 years remaining when Marek and Sid are gone. Eli was a third year guy when he started playing for us and both should be very good as third year guys when they get meaningful minutes.

Kadary and Woody nice backup options at the 2 and 3 spots. Hope Brycen takes a big step forward I think he will.
I'm wary of thinking we'll get a lot from Woody or Kadary in year 1 but that would be awesome. Agree that Brycen could emerge and redshirting Edwards is an interesting idea. I think a 5th-year big would help a lot and I'm interested to see Joe and Guerrier as sophs. I think they could be improved, though I may be alone on thinking that of Joe.

A note of caution about these early forecasts of next season. How wrong were people about Buddy’s ability to play? Or Girard? Both were positive surprises, while others (Carey and Guerrier) did not live up to early forecasts.

‘The 2019-20 team was limited due to the lack of a third guard and the lack of size and depth inside. Could not defend any strong center. The guard spot could be fixed by Kadry (if he can earn minutes in the rotation) and inside depth could be fixed if Guerrier develops, Ajak can compete, or Edwards adds some muscle. There are several possible options — something that was not the case this season. Buddy has exceeded expectations (offensively) both as a frosh and again as a sophomore. He might have another season of improvements. Not all good things will happen, but there are plenty of ways to get better when 6 of your top 7 players return.

Yeah, I'm not really predicting things as much as hoping we see improvement in certain areas. A functional Edwards and/or JBA would be great and a solid 5th-year would be even better.

I feel pretty comfortable -- though I could be wrong -- saying this isn't going to be a 24/25 win regular season win team but I don't see a reason we couldn't get to 20/21 and get in the dance.

So you're down on this group then. I get that. i'm not sure I get why people don't think guys can improve but I get it. I'd love a legit third guard to give us a different look and more flexibility but I'm not entirely sure we have that. Like Goodine but he's very much trying to figure things out and Kadary sounds good but we haven't hit a home run (in a moten kind of way) in a while.

I don't think you're going to see most of what you're hoping for but I do think Edwards/JBA could contribute more meaningfully and we could see another guard play closer to 20 mins theoretically b/c either Kadary brings the ability to beat his guy 1-on-1 or Goodine adds a combination of OK offense and high-end defense. But I don't see a world where we don't see a healthy dose of Joe/Buddy (I would think at least 30 mpg on average) or significantly limited minutes for Dolezaj.

I absolutely believe these guys will improve, just don't think they will improve enough to give us the kind of players we need to improve the team beyond what we've seen the past few years.

Remember Hughes is our clear #1 player. He is going to leave. If one of the current guys takes a big jump forward all we're really doing is replacing what we've lost, so individuals may improve but I'm not sure it leads to an overall collective improvement in the team.

They all need to improve just to account for the loss of Hughes.

Last edited:
Flaws and all does anyone think any of our incoming guys are going to put up better numbers than JG3? Goodine improves and he gets what 8-10 minutes at each guard spot? Most of our minutes are going to be Buddy and Joe until JB/Buddy are done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom