Somebody 'Splain to me How Minnesooooota... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Somebody 'Splain to me How Minnesooooota...

Our football history is far superior to the Minnesota football history.

The Gophers have not made any national noise since I began watching college football in 1968.

overall history, sure, but like many teams, their more recent history is certainly a hell of a lot better than ours. 14 bowls in the past 19 years etc.

overall history, sure, but like many teams, their more recent history is certainly a hell of a lot better than ours. 14 bowls in the past 19 years etc.

2013 Texas Bowl is on line 1.

I believe Dino can win here. Not just win, but win big by almost any standard we have. I think we have to be patient, accept that this is not a linear process, and support the program. Success will follow.

I live in Minneapolis and just heard on the MN sports radio station that Penn St has 50 4 or 5 star players on their roster and MN only has five 4/5 star players on their roster. MN recruits almost exclusively 3 star players overlooked by bigger programs and tries to coach them up. It may be that Fleck is not a great recruiter but he knows which 3 star players to recruit.

Also, Franklin is now 1-8 in road games against ranked teams.

If the campus has a drone policy you could get in a lot of trouble for this if it's not cleared. Would definitely be careful there.

I don’t think so. I don’t believe anyone can make their own drone policy. There’s laws that regulate it and it’s been determined that nobody owns the sky/air above a building. If a drone is flying in your backyard or above your home, you can’t shoot or knock it down.

I live in Minneapolis and just heard on the MN sports radio station that Penn St has 50 4 or 5 star players on their roster and MN only has five 4/5 star players on their roster. MN recruits almost exclusively 3 star players overlooked by bigger programs and tries to coach them up. It may be that Fleck is not a great recruiter but he knows which 3 star players to recruit.

Franklin is overrated too IMO. I think Fleck is a good coach and is doing a good job. I think Dino is too (although this year has been tough).

Awful OOC schedule. Play in the worst division in P5. That helps a lot.

Opened against South Dakota State at home.
Played Fresno State on the road (4-4). Won in OT.
Barely beat Georgia Southern at home.
Barely beat 3-6 Purdue.
Beat a bad Illinois team.
Beat a bad (4-5) Nebraska team.
Rutgers. Enough said.
Maryland. Enough said.
Then Penn State.

I think this is the first team they have beat that has a winning record. Maybe South Dakota State or Georgia Southern do. If so, it really doesn’t matter given who they are and who they play.

"Worst division in P5" is a fun, but not true statement anymore. To put it in perspective, the top two teams in the Big Ten West have beaten two of the top three teams from the Big Ten East (Ohio State is on a different level). Three teams are ranked, as opposed to the Atlantic having one team ranked and the Coastal not having any ranked teams.

Four of the seven teams in the B1G West have winning records (don't look now, but Lovie Claus has Illinois bowl eligible with a 6-4 record). The Atlantic has three teams with a winning record (although there are two teams sitting even right now) and the Coastal has four teams with a winning record.
Neither Alabama nor Clemson has a win against a ranked team. Alabama still has a ranked Auburn on its schedule and Clemson is unlikely to have a win against a ranked team all year. Minnesota has one and, if it wins out the regular season, will have two (Iowa losing to Minnesota will likely get it dropped from the rankings).

I really hope Minnesota is a paper gopher and loses to both Iowa and Wisconsin, but they looked good against Penn State.

Last edited:
Honestly, I still think it's lightning in a bottle. Their OOC schedule is Rutgers-esque. They did punch PSU in the mouth first and PSU never fully recovered, but once they put another season of this together, I'll be a believer then.

I'm glad that PSU got beat. That's easily my favorite football story of the weekend. Bye, bye CFP.

All true. Minny defense is also very senior laden. Gives up 20.6ppg. Offense is mostly redshirt juniors and redshirt sophomores and seems to be ahead of the curve. The OC and QB coach is Kirk Ciarrocca

Syracuse - 1959 National Champions
Minnesota - 1904, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941 and 1960 National Champions

Syracuse is 16-9-1 in bowl games
Minnesota is 8-12 in bowl games

One reason SU may have played in more bowl games was that prior to 1975, only the Big Ten Champion was allowed to play in a bowl game.

Not sure how recently it was updated, but I did see this for historical records:

Syracuse - 722-546-49 (0.567)
Minnesota - 704-522-44 (0.572)

Okay, I need to go take a shower. As a Wisconsin alum, saying nice things about Minnesota makes me feel dirty.

This coming from a guy who's playing both sides of the fence with your H0T Takes. You should pick a lane and stay in it.
Ya know...alot of so called H0T Takes this year were dead on accurate. Maybe you're a bit too cold with your takes and need a little fire in your belly. We are a dumpster fire this year, you can feel the heat everywhere, maybe the reason for the all the H0T Takes.

Ya know...alot of so called H0T Takes this year were dead on accurate. Maybe you're a bit too cold with your takes and need a little fire in your belly. We are a dumpster fire this year, you can feel the heat everywhere, maybe the reason for the all the H0T Takes.

I always think it’s gonna rain and then it did!

I thought they were paper tigers all year, then they prove me wrong vs Penn St. I give them credit, then they lose to Iowa

go figure

I hate picking winners/losers in college football. Rutgers is really the only easy bet in CFB and that's being serious.

I thought they were paper tigers all year, then they prove me wrong vs Penn St. I give them credit, then they lose to Iowa

go figure

Iowa is ranked, and was playing at home.
No shame in taking that L.

Oh, and it’s a trophy game, although not nearly as important as the Civil Conflict , of course.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom