Someone tell that Wichita St. Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Someone tell that Wichita St. Coach

I have steadfast sung the praises of that team all year. They are incredibly talented.

Still no excuse for ESPN to whore out and have this guy on set in anticipation of SU losing.

"Ok coach here is what will happen. As soon as Pitt wins we will come back and start the Wichita lovefest.

Not disagreeing with that, just the idea that they aren't any good is ridiculous

Not disagreeing with that, just the idea that they aren't any good is ridiculous

I agree. This team is solid schedule aside. Van Vleet would be getting way more press if it wasnt for Ennis. Kid is legit

Reactions: MGP
I think its more for him getting a big time job than for his recruiting. Just the way I read it, who knows though. Undoubtedly it was a strange thing to see during the season and he has to be more diplomatic than agreeing he wants us to lose that's just weak and counters his own point about them deserving a 1 seed. If he really believes that why rout for another team across the country to lose?

Yeah, never looked at it as job positioning.

I think its more for him getting a big time job than for his recruiting. Just the way I read it, who knows though. Undoubtedly it was a strange thing to see during the season and he has to be more diplomatic than agreeing he wants us to lose that's just weak and counters his own point about them deserving a 1 seed. If he really believes that why rout for another team across the country to lose?

I don't see how it counters that. He wants to be the last undefeated team in the country. Just like how there are threads on here predicting Wichita State or Arizona losses.

He was successful at Winthrop but couldn't get a power conference job because of his reputation for being a richard. 9 years @ Winthrop, 7 NCAAs and no big time offers

That makes sense, because he came off like a huge richard yesterday.

I don't see how it counters that. He wants to be the last undefeated team in the country. Just like how there are threads on here predicting Wichita State or Arizona losses.

We are fans he's a coach. Sure he wants to be the only undefeated team but admitting to be rooting against us leads me to believe that even though he said they absolutely should be a 1 seed if they are undefeated he knows in his heart that he would still need help because the resume isn't going to be deserving when you start stacking quality wins against each other. Granted winning all your games means you did all you can and its an amazing accomplishment but I maintain as I have all along that they are a very good top20ish team but would not be undefeated in any major conference this deep in the season. I think they'd even have been clipped in the SEC, AAC and BE which is no knock on how good they are just the nature of tougher schedules and playing teams that have the athletes and size to compete with them every night.

We are fans he's a coach. Sure he wants to be the only undefeated team but admitting to be rooting against us leads me to believe that even though he said they absolutely should be a 1 seed if they are undefeated he knows in his heart that he would still need help because the resume isn't going to be deserving when you start stacking quality wins against each other.

I just don't necessarily see this at all. I think you are reading too much into it. It's not like we are the only team they are competing with for a #1, and the way things are right now, we're th e last team they should be concerned with, we're the #1 overall seed right now.

I agree they would likely not be undefeated in a stronger conference.

I just don't necessarily see this at all. I think you are reading too much into it. It's not like we are the only team they are competing with for a #1, and the way things are right now, we're th e last team they should be concerned with, we're the #1 overall seed right now.

I agree they would likely not be undefeated in a stronger conference.

I very well could be.

This is exactly what made me think he knows otherwise why worry about us at all. I know it doesn't make sense but often times we say and do things that do not make sense when we know what we are representing isn't exactly correct.

I'm as big a homer as any but I really don't mind Wichita State. They have won every game and could have made the title game last year with virtually the same team. They deserve respect.

Didn't they make the Final Four last year and were pretty close to beating the eventual champion? That followed by a 25-0 start the next season, no matter the conference, is pretty damn impressive and they are definitely not just a fluke.

The coach being at ESPN is a little strange but he's got to promote the program somehow even if it's rooting for another team to lose on cable television.
yeah, I have nothing but respect for what they have done the last two years. They are our doppleganger, and they would give us everything we could handle if we played. Of course I think we'd win, but it would be a tough one.

Wichita St may potentially play more tourney teams in OOC than us. Right now they have St. Louis, Tennessee, and BYU who are in. Right now we have Villanova, Cal, and Minnesota.

With 3 tourney wins, including a big win on the road, they actually did pretty well in OOC. Its just that they need to do more in OOC to justify equal seeding.

And no I am not arguing that they are better or should be seeded higher than Syracuse. Not even close. Just pointing out that there OOC is turning out to be solid compared to other pod level teams.
You can probably add St. Johns and Baylor to our side.

Does anyone know if Wichita State tries to schedule stronger?

They would like too, but are only willing to do home and home's. And Kansas refuses to play them. It would make sense for them to set up something with Gonzaga each year. Perhaps Creighton as well.

They did get hurt by the loss of Creighton, and the fact that the MVC typically has one other tourney level team

So your point is that they can beat any team in the country?
My point is I don't necessarily agree with Wichita's coach who says his team is a lock 1 if they win out. I don't really have a problem with them being a 1. I think they are a very good team, and undefeated is an accomplishment.

That being said, I don't see a significant difference between their accomplishments and Pitts. Yet Pitt is heading towards an 8/9 while Wichita is basically a lock 1. The only difference in wins is that Wichita won at St. Louis. I think Pitt would have a very good chance playing at St. Louis. Pitt just happened to play a lot of top RPI teams, and they lost. I think Wichita would lose some of the games Pitt lost as well.

You can probably add St. Johns and Baylor to our side.

St. John's and Baylor are not in the tournament as of now.

They would like too, but are only willing to do home and home's. And Kansas refuses to play them. It would make sense for them to set up something with Gonzaga each year. Perhaps Creighton as well.

They did get hurt by the loss of Creighton, and the fact that the MVC typically has one other tourney level team
I think that's an absurd standpoint to have. UMass (with Calipari) played anyone anytime, and they won games, and no one questioned their legitimacy.

If you're coming off a FF, and have a legitimately good team with a chance to get back there, sacrifice a little bit and play a no return road game that can prove you're a great team.

AS true as this is its the nature of the beast. They have to go on the road or do 2 for 1 with middle major conference teams. No major conference team has anything to gain by playing them home and home.

Great idea about doing it with Gonzaga or other big mid programs.

I bet it is almost impossible for Wichita State to schedule BCS teams outside of a preseason tournament. Unfortunately, in spite of their Final Four, no high major team will get credit for beating them and it will look bad to lose to them. I doubt we would ever schedule them again after they beat us at the Dome not too long ago. That's the world the mid major lives in and I imagine it is frustrating. Good for their coach to be on ESPN promoting his program and team especially since it is virtually impossible to watch his games on regular tv. If they remain undefeated they absolutely deserve a #1 seed and they'll get one.

The best line from him last night was "If we go undefeated and don't get a #1 seed, then the NCAA is rigged". Wth, really? You did not beat anyone all year, and your whole conference is teams over 100 RPI.. Their ceiling should be a 3 seed at best, what a joke. They played a total of TWO BCS teams ALL YEAR. Alabama and Tennessee, both terrible teams from a crappy SEC conference. That's it.

Whoa whoa whoa...they beat Alabama! Oh wait, this isn't football.

BYU, Tennessee and St Louis do not constitute murderers row. They have a couple good wins, but their overall schedule is a joke.

Whoa whoa whoa...they beat Alabama! Oh wait, this isn't football.

BYU, Tennessee and St Louis do not constitute murderers row. They have a couple good wins, but their overall schedule is a joke.
I think that's over stating it. They have 1 good win. @ St. Louis. Everything else is RPI of 44 or higher.

Let the WSU boys have their day in the sun. It's going to get cloudy for them pretty quick come March.

My point is I don't necessarily agree with Wichita's coach who says his team is a lock 1 if they win out. I don't really have a problem with them being a 1. I think they are a very good team, and undefeated is an accomplishment.

That being said, I don't see a significant difference between their accomplishments and Pitts. Yet Pitt is heading towards an 8/9 while Wichita is basically a lock 1. The only difference in wins is that Wichita won at St. Louis. I think Pitt would have a very good chance playing at St. Louis. Pitt just happened to play a lot of top RPI teams, and they lost. I think Wichita would lose some of the games Pitt lost as well.

Pitt has had plenty of good chances for a quality win and failed every time.

Virginia, Duke, Syracuse at Home.
Cincy (neutral).

Bubble teams pull off home scalps all the time. Its one of the advantages of being in a power conference. Top 25 wins at home. Pitt should have won at least one of those games. I have no clue why you make the assumption that Wichita St would have lost all those games.

I don't think its unreasonable to believe Wichita St would have won at least one of those games. Its just the nature of 3 home games. And the win they have at St Louis as well. I think they deserve to be clearly ahead. Where would Pitt be with 2 more wins? A 3 seed maybe.

It does go to show you how difficult it is to compare teams from different conference levels. The committee needs to make some decisions when to punish certain losses.

Last edited:
AS true as this is its the nature of the beast. They have to go on the road or do 2 for 1 with middle major conference teams. No major conference team has anything to gain by playing them home and home.

Great idea about doing it with Gonzaga or other big mid programs.
I think they would be good games to watch but they wouldn't get too much credit for beating other strong programs from the mid majors...The only way they'll get recognition is to play strong schools from the power conferences.

Didn't they make the Final Four last year and were pretty close to beating the eventual champion? That followed by a 25-0 start the next season, no matter the conference, is pretty damn impressive and they are definitely not just a fluke.

The coach being at ESPN is a little strange but he's got to promote the program somehow even if it's rooting for another team to lose on cable television.

Precisely. The trip to Bristol was made with the purpose of promoting his team's best interests, and I can't blame him for that. I'd do it, too, because I'd have an assistant capable of running practice if I'm away for a day.

Pi. I have no clue why you make the assumption that Wichita St would have lost all those games.

Wichita St would have won at least one of those games. Its just the nature of 3 home games. Add the win at St. Louis as well. The resumes are not close.

My only response is to say re read my post. I believe you may have misread it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom