Something You Might Want to Consider Before You Make a Post | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Something You Might Want to Consider Before You Make a Post

Let us know when that happens, because I haven't seen it.

When people have information they post as much as they feel comfortable doing and sometimes it's not as clear as they would like.
Or they really don't have any information. Like "Things will happen soon...stay tuned" I'd prefer my Magic 8 Ball over that.

Over the last decade plus that this board and its earlier versions have been in existence, we have been fortunate to have a number of posters share inside information from time to time.

One would think that these people would be highly respected and appreciated for sharing their insider knowledge with the board. That happens occasionally, but the vast majority of the time, when insider information is provided, the people providing the information get attacked and criticized for this. They are told they don't know what they are talking about, that they need to provide more information, that they are idiots, attention grabbers, etc, etc.

For many long-timers here, it isn't a big deal to get called out in public on a anonymous message board, but for a lot of people, getting criticized and even verbally abused for trying to do something nice is not a pleasant thing, is not appreciated and many find this kind of treatment strong reason to never post insider information again. Further, others who have insider information and are considering post it see this kind of thing happen and decide not to share their news, not now or ever again.

I don't mean to call out any specific poster or any specific recent incident; this is a long standing practice that many on the board like to indulge in. Nor am I saying that you can't do this; if you feel compelled to attack people when they have insider info, feel free to continue to do this.

Just know that this type of behavior has systematically convinced dozens of people who sometimes get interesting bits of information to stop sharing the information. At least on a public message board. There are ramifications for doing this and the net effect of this practice is to stop all but the most naive or thick skinned to even think about sharing nuggets.

From my perspective, I would like the board to be more welcoming about these types of posts, to be more understanding when posters limit what they are able to/willing to post, and when they are not willing to give up their sources of information.

End of lecture. Syracuse is 23-0, undisputed #1 in the country and is leading the nation in attendance. The lacrosse program is #1 or #2 in the country, the football program is back to winning ways and bowl games. Life is good. Let's enjoy it.

To be quite honest, the problem isn't insider info. The problem is incomplete info or half-truths that invite tons of mindless and even harmful speculation (we've all seen how the news-cycle can incorporate this board for good and bad).

To the insiders, I would suggest that if it's something that you've been explicitly asked not to share, then why not keep it to yourself. We will live without it. No worries. In those situations, I'm not sure you're doing the board a service by making it public. You're doing yourself a service. If it is info you can give out, then I see no need to be cryptic about it. Presenting your insider info in ways other than what I've suggested can quite understandably be construed by others as drawing attention to yourself and I think you have to be prepared for the backlash.

This is the thing that concerns me... When I was new to the Skout board and then here, I couldn't wait to post any nugget I got. As years have passed I've realized that when I have conversations or hear stories I'm scared to death to post... Not because of someone throwing stones, I'm an adult and I can handle that garbage, but because you never know who's reading.

I would never want to bit the hand that feeds me.

With the way technology is now, journo's, bloggers and everybody with a Twitter account can't wait to scan this board and push out the info.

I miss the pay side.

Been a member for about a year. Only 30 posts or so. I either go to the games or watch intently at home with no laptop present. On the forums I get to enjoy hearing from people obviously knowledgeable about football and the SU program in particular. So I'm here mainly to listen, learn, & enjoy rather than to shout out something. So for me, the "insider stuff" is gold when it comes. And I'll do almost anything not to be sentenced back to the hell of negativity and trolldom know as syr.com.:bang:

no- its sold at the fine tailgates
First of all, I don't even know what that means, but w/e. I just really wish you could produce the post where you only stated facts, and it got you banned. I, like several others here, don't buy it. Nothing personal, but it's just not how the admins operate.

First of all, I don't even know what that means, but w/e. I just really wish you could produce the post where you only stated facts, and it got you banned. I, like several others here, don't buy it. Nothing personal, but it's just not how the admins operate.
the post was deleted and i was banned-

ask the mods who did it- they might show some honor and admit to it - but i seriously doubt it -

all i posted was we were smoked in 40% of our games to that point(10 games)-tried to post it 2 or 3 times actually

thats it- nothing more- on my favorite dogs grave thats all i posted-

Or they really don't have any information. Like "Things will happen soon...stay tuned" I'd prefer my Magic 8 Ball over that.

You have an example?

I can't speak for the basketball board, but I haven't seen that here.

And DCuse was 100% correct.

the post was deleted and i was banned- ask the mods who did it- they might show some honor and admit to it - but i seriously doubt it - all i posted was we were smoked in 40% of our games to that point(10 games)-tried to post it 2 or 3 times actually thats it- nothing more- on my favorite dogs grave thats all i posted-

I'll take that on. I wasn't the only one that deleted your posts, of which there were 7, but I ended up banning you. And it wasn't just for those 7 posts, it was the constant negativity over and over and over, every thread. You don't handle a loss very well at all and become a nuisance on the board. Equate your banning to a "Lifetime Achievement Award".

As to what you posted, here is your very first one that day. Not exactly what you claim above. Then after it was deleted, you not only posted it several more times, you made 2-3 posts complaining that they were getting deleted.

Now, you know the rest of the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30% of our games we got destroyed - thats crazy bad imho

sick of the world is great crowd - clemson was a great team we had no chance-total bs- gt was great we had no chance more bs now fl st is the greatest team ever- major bs- and dont forget the super awesome northwestern team that you guys made excuses for

ole macdonald runs a offense thats putrid enough to be classified as a robinson offense-but you guys will continue to claim its all talent-more bs

you realists can continue to manufacture excuse after excuse to justify this crap-i cant

all i posted was we were smoked in 40% of our games to that point(10 games)-tried to post it 2 or 3 times actually
When your post was deleted then that should should have a hint.

I suspect that you may have been banned for repeatedly posting that content, not for the content itself.

Barrel may have been right. When a kid does something that's not appropriate you let them know. When they keep repeating the same act that's when you get upset and impose corrective action.

I have been coming to this board (and the ones prior) since about 2002. I don't post a lot, as I come to read more than participate.

My opinion is that while respect in the old days was earned by the quality of the posts, it is skewed into a numbers game. I respect most everyone here and their opinions but I am going to really read and read into what a poster like Jake, CTO (et al) says over someone that has racked up 20,000 posts of randomness. I like the long timers here miss the payside as it at least upped the anti to how much the info was worth and how credible it was.

That being said if you feel wronged or singled out or in any way slighted, then no one forces you to come here.

Over the last decade plus that this board and its earlier versions have been in existence, we have been fortunate to have a number of posters share inside information from time to time.

One would think that these people would be highly respected and appreciated for sharing their insider knowledge with the board. That happens occasionally, but the vast majority of the time, when insider information is provided, the people providing the information get attacked and criticized for this. They are told they don't know what they are talking about, that they need to provide more information, that they are idiots, attention grabbers, etc, etc.

For many long-timers here, it isn't a big deal to get called out in public on a anonymous message board, but for a lot of people, getting criticized and even verbally abused for trying to do something nice is not a pleasant thing, is not appreciated and many find this kind of treatment strong reason to never post insider information again. Further, others who have insider information and are considering post it see this kind of thing happen and decide not to share their news, not now or ever again.

I don't mean to call out any specific poster or any specific recent incident; this is a long standing practice that many on the board like to indulge in. Nor am I saying that you can't do this; if you feel compelled to attack people when they have insider info, feel free to continue to do this.

Just know that this type of behavior has systematically convinced dozens of people who sometimes get interesting bits of information to stop sharing the information. At least on a public message board. There are ramifications for doing this and the net effect of this practice is to stop all but the most naive or thick skinned to even think about sharing nuggets.

From my perspective, I would like the board to be more welcoming about these types of posts, to be more understanding when posters limit what they are able to/willing to post, and when they are not willing to give up their sources of information.

End of lecture. Syracuse is 23-0, undisputed #1 in the country and is leading the nation in attendance. The lacrosse program is #1 or #2 in the country, the football program is back to winning ways and bowl games. Life is good. Let's enjoy it.

Well said Tom.

I knew about Moore leaving. What I didn't know about was the nugget Dcuse posted about Perles leaving in addition to Moore tied into the nuggets being whispered about over compensation inequality with other ACC schools (and internal inequity with Olympic sports compensation) but now I'm more inclined simply not to share anymore. As one poster stated, even if you hear directly from a source, it's not perfect info as it is just 1 person's viewpoint. So I call it tidbits and I have always found it enjoyable piecing it all together. It's like detective work like the kind of novels I enjoy reading.

Not so much fun anymore. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way. Nuff said.

Last edited:
I'd like to remind everyone this board has an "ignore" function if someones post grinds your gears that badly. It really helps in streamlining your browsing experience from those you feel offer no substance in their posts.

You have an example?

I can't speak for the basketball board, but I haven't seen that here.

And DCuse was 100% correct.
I almost never go to the basketball board which is somewhat ironic because I grew up on SU hoops so I am not talking about basketball. I'd rather not give an example as I have observed some pretty harsh backlash in the past when certain cryptic or ambiguous statements were pointed out as that. I'd rather not cite examples as I don't think will produce any useful outcome. Like I said, I basically ignore those types of comments now but I have to admit they grate on me.

i guess im done here- bees that post isnt the one that got me banned and you know it-

This is the thing that concerns me... When I was new to the Skout board and then here, I couldn't wait to post any nugget I got. As years have passed I've realized that when I have conversations or hear stories I'm scared to death to post... Not because of someone throwing stones, I'm an adult and I can handle that garbage, but because you never know who's reading.

I would never want to bit the hand that feeds me.

With the way technology is now, journo's, bloggers and everybody with a Twitter account can't wait to scan this board and push out the info.

I miss the pay side.

Exactly, I know that on the couple of occasions I have had info (Bernie and IPF) Related I actually reached out to a MOD to see if A. they had heard it also or B. If they thought it was appropriate AS THEY RUN THE BOARD.

rosconey said:
i guess im done here- bees that post isnt the one that got me banned and you know it-

Well since I have access to all the deleted posts, that, along with the 6 that followed, certainly did. I copied and pasted it. I guess you could ask another admin if you made that post on Nov 17, 2013.

well your wrong- it was a non threatening post with nothing stated other than we were smoked in 40% of our games -

what it comes down to- your free to post what you want if your a pal of the mods- not a pal- we will run you off for nothing to prove but how much power we wield

i wouldnt doubt i get banned for posting to this thread

go back and look at my giants have no linebackers thread if you dont believe me -

I have very few friends here and the ones I do have aren't mods. I'm overly opinionated, hot-headed, and often make ridiculous statements in the heat of the moment such as 'Marrone is soft on his players' and 'Nassib is not a D1 QB'. I have gotten into arguments with long time posters spreading out over 3-4 pages. I've basically been called an idiot and told to go back to Syr.com for such things but I have never been banned. You must have really pee'd in the wrong bowl of Cheerios.

One more thing for those with nuggets... if your source is good or you don't know additional details, etc., you may help yourself by indicating those things. It could spare you from the obvious requests for more details and possible attacks.

Simple posts of "I heard that the sky is falling." are asking for trouble.

Moontan said:
One more thing for those with nuggets... if your source is good or you don't know additional details, etc., you may help yourself by indicating those things. It could spare you from the obvious requests for more details and possible attacks. Simple posts of "I heard that the sky is falling." are asking for trouble.

I heard from a semi reliable source that there is a 50/50 chance another shoe might drop.

I cant believe we have something so great, and we are ruining it by arguing about the dumbest shiit...

This board used to be a blast.

The last few weeks, not so much.

Bro, you got banned, who cares, you're back now... This is like the dude who gets cut off at the bar, made to leave in a taxi, and bbiitchest about it for the next 4 days. Dude, the bartender thought you were to drunk to be here, so he sent you home. Happens to everyone. Drink your beer, and try not to get kicked out this time.

Lets go back to what we do best.. Talk about SU sports, crack a couple jokes, and pick on edowd.

Last edited:
I have no connection to the program other than being a fan. I have never once read a post on here providing credible insider information. Rumor and innuendo yes and that can become annoying to a straight shooter looking for bottom line information but it is what it is. Some people like to play the game others do not. I have come to terms with the fact that if our star player suddenly missed the Pitt game multiple posters on here would claim to know about it and talk in riddle while the rest remained in the dark. Nothing to get upset about just move on and create the TMZ forum for Cuse athletics.

I have no connection to the program other than being a fan. I have never once read a post on here providing credible insider information. Rumor and innuendo yes and that can become annoying to a straight shooter looking for bottom line information but it is what it is. Some people like to play the game others do not. I have come to terms with the fact that if our star player suddenly missed the Pitt game multiple posters on here would claim to know about it and talk in riddle while the rest remained in the dark. Nothing to get upset about just move on and create the TMZ forum for Cuse athletics.
Somehow you've missed some very good stuff.

I'll take that on. I wasn't the only one that deleted your posts, of which there were 7, but I ended up banning you. And it wasn't just for those 7 posts, it was the constant negativity over and over and over, every thread. You don't handle a loss very well at all and become a nuisance on the board. Equate your banning to a "Lifetime Achievement Award".

As to what you posted, here is your very first one that day. Not exactly what you claim above. Then after it was deleted, you not only posted it several more times, you made 2-3 posts complaining that they were getting deleted.

Now, you know the rest of the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30% of our games we got destroyed - thats crazy bad imho

sick of the world is great crowd - clemson was a great team we had no chance-total bs- gt was great we had no chance more bs now fl st is the greatest team ever- major bs- and dont forget the super awesome northwestern team that you guys made excuses for

ole macdonald runs a offense thats putrid enough to be classified as a robinson offense-but you guys will continue to claim its all talent-more bs

you realists can continue to manufacture excuse after excuse to justify this crap-i cant

Bang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom