Song of the Day II | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Song of the Day II

Hip hop break!

“Some get hand picked, others get picked on. Some get a hand up, others get disarmed. I came from the bottom where the guns got withdrawn. All lows, no highs man(Heisman), get a stiff arm.”

Ridiculous wordplay in this one. Still catching things 10 years later. Talk about painting a picture with your words. Phonte is one of the greats.
“I got a room and a microphone. And a family I ain’t in seen in months. And played this record a million times. Just hoping you would play it once. Break bread with your fellow man. Show love and look out for your heart. And always take care of home. Because home is where charity starts.” Smh. So good.

Nice.

Oh, no big deal, but we share a birthday and stuff. Us, Denzel, all the greats!

Also, I don't care what anyone says, the song 'The Soft Parade' is tremendous! :)
As an album, The Soft Parade is a bit disjointed, but I always enjoyed the song itself and the special spoken word opening.

As an album, The Soft Parade is a bit disjointed, but I always enjoyed the song itself and the special spoken word opening.

Super disjointed! I do love the title song for some odd reason though

Super disjointed! I do love the title song for some odd reason though
I think lots of Doors fans like that song but just won't admit it. We played the crap out of that album in college.

Is it ever not a long December? Let’s fast forward to Christmas. This was the last Counting Crows album I liked. But their first one is still one of my favorite albums of all time. This is one of those songs that when I hear it now, it instantly transports me back to the feeling of the time when it came out and was on the radio. Music is incredible like that.

Is it ever not a long December? Let’s fast forward to Christmas. This was the last Counting Crows album I liked. But their first one is still one of my favorite albums of all time. This is one of those songs that when I hear it now, it instantly transports me back to the feeling of the time when it came out and was on the radio. Music is incredible like that.

Enjoyed that. It brings me back to a specific time also.

I watched some random ass special on (I think) E! a few months ago and it was about The Viper Room, or at least that scene, or something...and his story, and stories, were the best part. Incredibly interesting.

I was never much of a fan with a couple exceptions, but I think I was just way off into other genres at the time they hit, but nevertheless, I really liked him after seeing that.

Yet, somehow, his best song was with Tricky!

Oh, wow - forgot all about that song. I think Tricky did a song with Live on their “V” album too, but if so I can’t remember the name of it at the moment.

I’m a sucker for Live’s dramatic songs that start slow and gradually ramp up to a crescendo. “Pillar of Davidson” probably being my favorite. That whole Throwing Copper album….I still love it. Will still play it front to back a few times a year when the mood strikes.

Nice.

Oh, no big deal, but we share a birthday and stuff. Us, Denzel, all the greats!
Doja Cat is a fan. This blows my mind. I was posting on the same message board as them when they put this song out, and nobody else knew who they were. And 2 decades later one of the biggest pop stars in the world is reciting the verse that was like a few hundred people’s little secret.

Love it.

Doja Cat is a fan. This blows my mind. I was posting on the same message board as them when they put this song out, and nobody else knew who they were. And 2 decades later one of the biggest pop stars in the world is reciting the verse that was like a few hundred people’s little secret.

Love it.

That's wild - and that was a cool vid. Doja Cat's commentary was great! :) It's always fun seeing people enjoy music - even on Youtube, some of the musical reaction vids are entertaining. I'm not much of a fan of "reviews" or just commentary type stuff, but every once in awhile it's fun just to watch people lose it over a track.

Rap lends itself best to that when people really dissect the bars and notice a double/triple entendre...but it goes beyond rap. It's fun.

Every time I hear this song I think it's Billy Joel or something...

Ok, THAT is one of the best rap songs ever. Whole thing is perfect. Never gets old either.

Yeah, that's one of my "go to" tracks when I'm discussing hip-hop and people are on the fence as to whether it's even music, or whether or not they hate it.

I think you just have to bust through the idea that hip-hop is just about shiny things. Once you get past that - smooooth sailing (sometimes). :)

Yeah, that's one of my "go to" tracks when I'm discussing hip-hop and people are on the fence as to whether it's even music, or whether or not they hate it.

I think you just have to bust through the idea that hip-hop is just about shiny things. Once you get past that - smooooth sailing (sometimes). :)
What is presented as hip hop to the general public who doesn’t even really “listen” to music has often been the most clownish, goofy, cartoonish BS for a long time. And most people are too lazy to go any deeper, especially with something they don’t want to like in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom