Sooo. Does Hop Come Back.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sooo. Does Hop Come Back..

He may still have family in Syracuse, but remember he is a West Coast guy originally and has blood family there. That plus success at Washington will keep him there.
Where do his kids call home?
What's the health of his parents? Hers?
Won't be a bball decision, IMO.

Everyone is so obsessed with climate around here. That’s maybe a factor for why your average person moves to a new city or state. But these are high level, high-profile basketball coaches who want to win. Their reasons for changing jobs are extremely different than your average joe.

I really didn't mean anything by the climate reference. Seattle is cold and wet for much of the year, anyway.

JB has it right when he says (to paraphrase) that the summer is nice in Upstate New York, and the rest of the year we're playing basketball.

Hes gone. I thought Gmac was our next coach:)

WOW that article gave me chills. I am a geologist so I understand the implications. I live pretty far inland in Medford so at least no worries about the wave. A BIG ONE like that will cause a lot of death and damage. I have only been thru a 5.5 and that was pretty loud like a train and I cannot imagine a 9 !!!! I checked into earthquake insurance and it was fairly reasonable but I did not get it, maybe I will look into again
Seattle and Hop would surely be destroyed
OO44

This is, perhaps, one more way the NCAA hurt us. By deciding the appeal in such a way that the JB suspension was effective immediately, with no warning, and right before some big rivalry games, they put Hop in the worst possible situation for his debut. If he and the team had more time to prepare, and the results were different, would things have turned out differently?

This is, perhaps, one more way the NCAA hurt us. By deciding the appeal in such a way that the JB suspension was effective immediately, with no warning, and right before some big rivalry games, they put Hop in the worst possible situation for his debut. If he and the team had more time to prepare, and the results were different, would things have turned out differently?
Maybe. Seems to have worked out well for both principals.

Others who know Hop better can speak to this. But I cannot take too seriously that his performance in that brief period and any over-the-top reaction to same from the fanbase had any real effect on his decision.

I suspect bigger issues came into play.

This will be Gerry’s team. I’d be shocked otherwise. Better chance Hopkins jumps to UCLA when Alford flames out

Why would McNamara be the guy to replace JB? Adrian Autry has more experience and tenure and this title is "associate head coach". I would think he's the new "heir apparent".

As to Hopkins, there are two precedents that may or may not be relevant here.

Denny Crum, who was John Wooden's right hand man before he got the Louisville job. He decided he'd rather stay where he'd built up his own program and legend than to "come home" to UCLA and replace a legend there:
Denny Crum - Wikipedia

Roy Williams, who took the same stance during a successful career at Kansas before changing his mind:
Roy Williams (coach) - Wikipedia
Roy changed his mind at age 53. Mike is 47.

As noted above, Mike is hardly Denny Crum or Roy Williams yet.

This will be Gerry’s team. I’d be shocked otherwise. Better chance Hopkins jumps to UCLA when Alford flames out
I have no idea why you and others believe this so strongly. You could be right, but there are certainly other options.

I have a feeling you're right about Gmac, I don't agree with it and don't like it but think that's what they'll do.

I could see him returning once Boeheim retires but at that point I'd prefer someone younger. Can't see him turning down his Alma mater... But at this point I'd rather just groom GMac as next HC

I could see him returning once Boeheim retires but at that point I'd prefer someone younger. Can't see him turning down his Alma mater... But at this point I'd rather just groom GMac as next HC
What is the infatuation with Gmac? He is the least qualified of our assistants and arguably the weakest recruiter. If they name a current assistant to succeed JB it better be Red or Griff.

Others who know Hop better can speak to this. But I cannot take too seriously that his performance in that brief period and any over-the-top reaction to same from the fanbase had any real effect on his decision.

I suspect bigger issues came into play.

It did...we've been down this road...go revisit the 'Hop to Washington' thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom