Sooo. Does Hop Come Back.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sooo. Does Hop Come Back..

How about when the time comes we have a national coaching search like the elite program we are?

As Jake said, we will when hop says no. But if we are an elite program then we will have to pay up/spend like one. That doesn’t just include the head coaching and assistant coaching salaries. The university has had it pretty pretty pretty good in terms of what they’re paying boeheim. And he doesn’t demand much.

For starters, a new coach will want a BIG upgrade to the basketball team’s social media marketing team (see football). Schools need to start viewing their sports teams/players as content creators and operating/distributing content like a marketing agency.

As Jake said, we will when hop says no. But if we are an elite program then we will have to pay up/spend like one. That doesn’t just include the head coaching and assistant coaching salaries. The university has had it pretty pretty pretty good in terms of what they’re paying boeheim. And he doesn’t demand much.

For starters, a new coach will want a BIG upgrade to the basketball team’s social media marketing team (see football). Schools need to start viewing their sports teams/players as content creators and operating/distributing content like a marketing agency.

Yeah. It's not a huge secret we've been paying Boeheim less than his value.

The marketing component should already be in play. This is right in Wildhacks wheelhouse. JB is paid to coach, he shouldn’t have to worry about that regardless. The AD needs to be doing that for every program, Football and hoops especially. There should be in house video teams pushing social media content constantly.

After Buddy, curious on Hop(Mrs Hop a local gal), GMAC, Red, current HC somewhere else.. Hard to believe JB wouldn't have some input.

Since GMac is Jimmy's favorite, I don't think Hop could come back. GMac will be SU's next head coach.

Why would McNamara be the guy to replace JB? Adrian Autry has more experience and tenure and this title is "associate head coach". I would think he's the new "heir apparent".

As to Hopkins, there are two precedents that may or may not be relevant here.

Denny Crum, who was John Wooden's right hand man before he got the Louisville job. He decided he'd rather stay where he'd built up his own program and legend than to "come home" to UCLA and replace a legend there:
Denny Crum - Wikipedia

Roy Williams, who took the same stance during a successful career at Kansas before changing his mind:
Roy Williams (coach) - Wikipedia
Roy changed his mind at age 53. Mike is 47.

As noted above, Mike is hardly Denny Crum or Roy Williams yet.
It was almost impossible for Roy to turn down Dean Smith and UNC when they came calling and asked him to return to his alma mater where he had been an assistant for many years. And Kansas is way closer to UNC in terms of elite status than Washington is to Syracuse. If we someday ask Hop to come back to Cuse to be the head coach, I think it will be very hard for him to say no, especially if JB is involved.

What is the infatuation with Gmac? He is the least qualified of our assistants and arguably the weakest recruiter. If they name a current assistant to succeed JB it better be Red or Griff.

I'm not think he is more qualified than Griffin. I think that Red would be the next coach but I prefer GMac for the exact reason you listed. He is a better coach than a recuiter. I would rather have Red and Griffin being the primary recuiters and have GMac as the big name to get recuits to wanna come here.

And by time Boeheim retires, GMac would have a whole lot more experience. Plus I think Devo taking over for GMac makes Gerry's position the easiest to replace

I'm not think he is more qualified than Griffin. I think that Red would be the next coach but I prefer GMac for the exact reason you listed. He is a better coach than a recuiter. I would rather have Red and Griffin being the primary recuiters and have GMac as the big name to get recuits to wanna come here.

And by time Boeheim retires, GMac would have a whole lot more experience. Plus I think Devo taking over for GMac makes Gerry's position the easiest to replace

Maybe Gerry is a better coach than recruiter but is he a better coach than Red or Griff? Or for that matter, a very good coach that we could bring in from outside.
Oh, and do you really think Red and/or Griff would stay if Gerry was promoted over them?

OK, I'll ask it.

Would Gerry be the new heir apparent, (in the fan's view) because he is:

- a bigger "hero" than Autry or Griffin or

- white?
All three guys will be D1 head coaches. The only question is, Rob Murphy or Mike Hop situation. Hop is sitting pretty!!!

Also, by my bad math, these three will be more experienced when they get that first job. JB was only 32.

Gerry is already 34
Red is 45
Griff 39

Where does the time go?

Maybe Gerry is a better coach than recruiter but is he a better coach than Red or Griff? Or for that matter, a very good coach that we could bring in from outside.
Oh, and do you really think Red and/or Griff would stay if Gerry was promoted over them?
What am i missing. When i look at gmac as a potential head coach i just dont see it. Not even close.

I'll be interested to see how much input JB has in his successor. More often than not, it seems like in these situations, it just proves why coaching and being the AD are separate jobs. In particular, this is playing out locally here in Kansas State in football where Bill Snyder wants his son to succeed him and nobody else thinks he's qualified.

If Hop is successful enough at Washington to warrant a return to CNY when the time comes, we won't be able to afford him.

I mean Griff definitely would. He is the newest to the coaching staff. And if Red leaves he would be next in line for a promotion. Could very easily see our coaches as

HC: Gerry McNamara
AHC: Allen Griffin
Bigs: Ryan Blackwell
Guards: Eric Devendorf

GMAC will be our (edit) Matt Doherty. Fill the space after the legend, do poorly, get fired and make the path clear for Hopkins to come back and save the day.

Last edited:
I mean Griff definitely would. He is the newest to the coaching staff. And if Red leaves he would be next in line for a promotion. Could very easily see our coaches as

We wouldn’t win 10 games.

I love the fact that our staff consists exclusively of alumni. Absolutely love it!

But it should not be a requirement, as some on here would like. Troy Weaver and Rob Murphy being the main cases in point.

What am i missing. When i look at gmac as a potential head coach i just dont see it. Not even close.
You'd better adjust your glasses then because it's coming whether you like it or not.

I love the fact that our staff consists exclusively of alumni. Absolutely love it!

But it should not be a requirement, as some on here would like. Troy Weaver and Rob Murphy being the main cases in point.

Thank you. You said it before I could. It's nice from an emotional perspective but I just want the staff that gives us the best chance to win even if they graduated from the University of Mars with Otis Sistrunk.

Griff has more experience than Gerry. Doesn't matter if it wasn't at Syracuse.
Why do you believe Gerry would make a great head coach?

Griff has more experience than Gerry. Doesn't matter if it wasn't at Syracuse.
Why do you believe Gerry would make a great head coach?

Well, in the business world, it's not really whom may have more experience, there are other factors of significance that play a role to where their particular"seat on the bus" is better suited. It may have nothing to do with one's experience, desire, etc., but other capabilities such roles may require more, depending on what's ultimately needed.

As an example relating to sports, I'll use this: When Romeo Crennel was hired by the Browns for their head coaching position, he had been New England's DC. Although he had a plethora of "experience" in the biz, it was as an assistant, not a head guy, the Brown's gig was his first. Many so-called experts said he would do well, and that Crennel finally attaining a head position was way over due. Long story short, he failed there, as well as his next gig as the Chiefs head guy. So, it's not all about "experience" but other qualities one needs to be successful at certain positions. The head position simply put, wasn't Crennel's "seat on the bus."

So, if it ever comes down to Gerry, or Griffin, I'd hope that SU doesn't make one's "experience" the primary factor, especially if neither one has ever been a head coach up to that point in time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom