Soooo...Is tonight the night? | Syracusefan.com

Soooo...Is tonight the night?

SWC75

Bored Historian
No, I don't mean this:
http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/wp-content/gallery/bridal-lingerie/lingerie_002.jpg

- We're 20-0 but have we played a game that would beat Duke they way they are playing now?

- The Blue Devils looked like their fifith national championship team vs. Pittsburgh. I remember after won the title in 2003 CTO asked posters when they first thought that team could win a national title. I picked the Georgia Tech game when we went on a 54-13 run against a good team with Chris Bosh. I can't say that we've had a moment like that this year. We keep winning, but...

- Our strengths are that we play great defense, we have our best rebounding team in years and we take care of the ball. But Duke's line-up seems designed to bust a zone: multiple outside shooters and guys, (Parker and Hood), who can operate inside an expanded zone.

- The one team that beat us badly on the boards was Pitt, (24-35). We all thought they'd do the same to Duke but the Blue Devils deviled the Panthers, 37-32.

- Tyler Ennis doesn't turn the ball over but he hasn't faced as aggressive a defense as Duke will throw at him. And he will have to go 40 minutes in this one, (after twisting that ankle). If we have Cooney or Gbinije handling the ball against the Duke pressure for minutes rather than seconds, we are toast.

- Our strategy will be to take it to the hoop and score or get fouled. How will the game be called? Will they allow this:

- And if they do, will our lack of depth kill us? Will he wind up with some kind of make-shift line-up of guys playing out of position, My Three Sons vs. Duke and walk-ons trying to hold it together in a winnable game?

- We see a lot of teams hit some three pointers early against us but they always start missing and the games turn our way. Duke might not start missing.

- Meanwhile, we've got one really good outside shooter. Surely Coach K will make sure his defense takes Cooney out of the picture.

- And it goes (almost) without saying that the dry periods and empty trips we have have been experiencing will enable the Blue Devils to slit our throats.

_the pressure is on home team in the first of a home and home series between top teams. We don't want to lose here and go down to Cameron with the Devils going for the sweep. Will the specter of that cause our guys to tighten up down the stretch?

- JB vs. Coach K. We usually have a advantage in experience and knowledge of the game. But I think we all know the pecking order here.

Bring it on! :eek:

No, I don't mean this:
http://www.celebritybrideguide.com/wp-content/gallery/bridal-lingerie/lingerie_002.jpg

- We're 20-0 but have we played a game that would beat Duke they way they are playing now?

- The Blue Devils looked like their fifith national championship team vs. Pittsburgh. I remember after won the title in 2003 CTO asked posters when they first thought that team could win a national title. I picked the Georgia Tech game when we went on a 54-13 run against a good team with Chris Bosh. I can't say that we've had a moment like that this year. We keep winning, but...

- Our strengths are that we play great defense, we have our best rebounding team in years and we take care of the ball. But Duke's line-up seems designed to bust a zone: multiple outside shooters and guys, (Parker and Hood), who can operate inside an expanded zone.

- The one team that beat us badly on the boards was Pitt, (24-35). We all thought they'd do the same to Duke but the Blue Devils deviled the Panthers, 37-32.

- Tyler Ennis doesn't turn the ball over but he hasn't faced as aggressive a defense as Duke will throw at him. And he will have to go 40 minutes in this one, (after twisting that ankle). If we have Cooney or Gbinije handling the ball against the Duke pressure for minutes rather than seconds, we are toast.

- Our strategy will be to take it to the hoop and score or get fouled. How will the game be called? Will they allow this:

- And if they do, will our lack of depth kill us? Will he wind up with some kind of make-shift line-up of guys playing out of position, My Three Sons vs. Duke and walk-ons trying to hold it together in a winnable game?

- We see a lot of teams hit some three pointers early against us but they always start missing and the games turn our way. Duke might not start missing.

- Meanwhile, we've got one really good outside shooter. Surely Coach K will make sure his defense takes Cooney out of the picture.

- And it goes (almost) without saying that the dry periods and empty trips we have have been experiencing will enable the Blue Devils to slit our throats.

_the pressure is on home team in the first of a home and home series between top teams. We don't want to lose here and go down to Cameron with the Devils going for the sweep. Will the specter of that cause our guys to tighten up down the stretch?

- JB vs. Coach K. We usually have a advantage in experience and knowledge of the game. But I think we all know the pecking order here.

Bring it on! :eek:

w1yq1m.jpg

If not for the goodwill you've built up over the years, the angry mob would be breaking down your door. ;)

Good stuff, as always.

We're 20-0 but have we played a game that would beat Duke they way they are playing now?

To answer your rquestion the way it is worded I would have to say NO. However, if the question was "CAN WE" play a game good enough to beat Duke I would answer YES. I sure hope we can.

I think if we play the way we did after being down big to Nova, we will beat this Duke team as they are playing now, handily.

If, however, we get down that big to Duke, we will definitely lose.

Cheers,
Neil

[ I remember after won the title in 2003 CTO asked posters when they first thought that team could win a national title. I picked the Georgia Tech game when we went on a 54-13 run against a good team with Chris Bosh. I can't say that we've had a moment like that this year. We keep winning, but...[/quote]

The last 30 minutes against Nova doesn't qualify? That was a pretty prolific run against a top-10 team

K is the best coach in the game. But he's not the best zone coach. And I'm sure the zone master hasn't shown him everything.

To win SU needs a big game from Rak/BMK. The interior is Duke's weakness and those two guys have got to put some hurt on Duke. If Rak ever played a good game we need it to be today. And Cooney has to make a few 3's to counter the barrage that will come from Duke. We have to keep the 3 pointers made somewhat reasonable. If Duke out shoots us 10-2 that will be too big a deficit to overcome inside. Our guys can do this if they play well and avoid droughts. This game is being so hyped by ESPN. It's what we've always wanted. I hope we do better than last year's big game stinker against Gtown.

[ I remember after won the title in 2003 CTO asked posters when they first thought that team could win a national title. I picked the Georgia Tech game when we went on a 54-13 run against a good team with Chris Bosh. I can't say that we've had a moment like that this year. We keep winning, but...

The last 30 minutes against Nova doesn't qualify? That was a pretty prolific run against a top-10 team[/quote]

Hmmm...maybe you are right. :)
And they were a perimeter-oriented team.

The last 30 minutes against Nova doesn't qualify? That was a pretty prolific run against a top-10 team

Hmmm...maybe you are right. :)
And they were a perimeter-oriented team.[/quote]

But, I don't think Nova's guards are anywhere near as good (shooting + athletically) as Duke's. And the Devils are playing well right now.

Trying to take the "glasses off" here, I think this is the best, most balanced opponent (by far) that we've played this season. Big, big test. I'm not convinced we've defeated anyone (yet) who will be playing during the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

We'll know allot about this club after this game. Whether we are a legit National Championship favorite (Our current ranking) or just one of several pretty good teams out there.

I was convinced we were good after Carlton, wait no after Maui, no, after Indiana, no after Villinova, no after NorthCarolina, no after Pittsburg, No after the road win at Miami, No No No.
Even if we happen to lose a few along the way Im convinced this team has enough to win it all. Duck or no Duck today.
But were going to win today.
21-0
War damn Otto!!

Duke must win some games every year just by the opposition being spooked by their reputation/hype. Get down against a team like Duke and you can begin to question your abilities, strategy, etc. In our case I just don't see that happening, we have some seasoned players and a young guard who comports himself like a much older and more wisened man. Not to mention, we have JB.

We fight it out today in a close game and if the game is within reach late we WILL find a way to win. Can't wait to see our crowd rocking the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom