Sophomore class is killing this program | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sophomore class is killing this program

Good point. Maybe 20ppg was too ambitious. 15-20 range then. I saw "something" in him during a few non-conference games. An "it" factor. Hopefully I was right.

Any time the "it factor" comes up, it reminds me of this gloriously bad article about Andrea Bargnani. It was written towards the end of his rookie year, when his numbers were modest, not bad but not good.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Finding-the-%91It--Factor-Andrea-Bargnani-1884/hs.php

I am a Raps fan, and I know there are many Knicks fans here... so we had it with this bum, but I had to endure him more.

This really has nothing to do with Andrea, but a once poor use of the "it factor".

I tend not to rag on college players on my fav team -- it just does not seem right. But once professional all bets are off - I really did and still continue to lay into that big lazy tool.

Last edited:
You have to be kidding. I have seen little evidence of this. He isn't so much "driving" to the basket as he is rushing to the basket in an almost out-of-control fashion. That's why he can't make a lay-up at the end. He's not under control.

JB knows that because opponents don't respect TC's ability to go to the basket they are able to crowd him, which greatly affects his ability to make 3's. To TC's credit, he has tried to go to the basket more often. But with a 25% rate of success.

Gbinije actually can drive to the basket with some semblance of control and can dish or shoot the lay-up which usually goes in.
Cooney has been driving to the basket much much better this year. You are biased in your analysis. Don't forget Gbinije's wide open layup miss on a drive to win a game a few ago...

Cooney is strong, athletic and has a decent handle. He has the ability to drive to the hoop and dish. Jb has even spoken out that he'd like to see cooney drive to the hoop more. His ability to finish is questionable, but as many have expressed on here he has a high basketball iq and can dish downlow to bigs who would be given open space by him cutting the lane. Maybe you have no idea.
And he is going to beat his man going to the hoop? The very same guy he couldn't shoot over or free himself using a pick because the guy was like glue? I played a lot of ball. Enough to know that there are times when you just can't beat your man. You may not want to admit it, but being strong with a decent handle doesn't make you able to beat more athletic guys off the bounce. Clemson had a good plan and the guy to carry it out. Other guys should have stepped up because Clemson clearly didn't want to allow Cooney to beat them and change the way SU was able to run the offense. All athletic, strong guards with decent handles should read your book. There's a lot of guys out there not realizing how easy it is.

Cooney has been driving to the basket much much better this year. You are biased in your analysis. Don't forget Gbinije's wide open layup miss on a drive to win a game a few ago...

Well since he hardly drove last year, he is doing better this year. But his finishing has been awful. What's the point of driving to the basket if you can't score or dish?

When I added "usually" to the statement on GBinje, that miss was what I was referring to obliquely.

I'm not bias against Cooney. But you are failing to see what is right before your eyes wishing it weren't true. That's bias.

Poor Cooney. He is being asked to do more than he can do competently. It's the failure of the others (not ROC of Gbinige) to play at the level required.

Just like when Ennis overachieved what we expected. There are guys on this year's team that are currently underachieving. They'll get better. But probably not soon enough to make a real impact on 2014-15.

Right now SU isn't a very good team and will most likely get smoked multiple times in the tougher half of the ACC schedule.

Better than...

He's no Devo on the finish, but he needs to drive if nothing else to loosen up the defense on the court.

The complete lack of production, especially on offense from BJ and Buss in particular is really setting this program back. I have yet to see anything positive that BJ has given us in two years now. Buss shows flashes defensively, but cannot hit open jumpers. On a team that is down to a bare minimum of players, we really needed some spark off the bench, and despite the opportunity given to play for BJ and Buss, neither has done anything positive offensively..

First things, first. Going from a 3 seed to an NCAA Bubble team is not a program that is being killed. GROB was a program killer.

In fact, even if going from a 3 seed to a bubble team is "killing the program", the sophomore who should get most of the blame is the one that is now playing in the NBA/D-league simply because he was really, really good and he isn't here anymore.

Below are the states for the current sophomores and the sophomore stats of three former SU players who turned out to be pretty good players.

Not everyone blows up right away. For some it takes time.

Roberson 6.7 ppg; 7 rpg; .413 FG; .737 FT
Buss 2.4 ppg; 1.9 apg; .234 FG; .171 3 FG; .25 FT
BJ 4.3 ppg; 3.9 rpg; .292FG: .207 FG3; .75 FT

Player 1 3.9 ppg; 2.1 rpg; .379 FG; .25 FG3; .722 FT
Player 2 6.5 ppg; 2.4 rpg; .40 FG; .28 FG3; .611 FG
Player 3 1.3 ppg 1.9 apg; .239 FG; .125 FG3; .769 FT

Patience.

In fact, even if going from a 3 seed to a bubble team is "killing the program", the sophomore who should get most of the blame is the one that is now playing in the NBA/D-league simply because he was really, really good and he isn't here anymore.

Lol

Buss is much more effective and driving to the hoop and dishing that Cooney. But...Cooney is infinitely the better shooter.

First things, first. Going from a 3 seed to an NCAA Bubble team is not a program that is being killed. GROB was a program killer.

Below are the states for the current sophomores and the sophomore stats of three former SU players who turned out to be pretty good players.

Not everyone blows up right away. For some it takes time.

Roberson 6.7 ppg; 7 rpg; .413 FG; .737 FT
Buss 2.4 ppg; 1.9 apg; .234 FG; .171 3 FG; .25 FT
BJ 4.3 ppg; 3.9 rpg; .292FG: .207 FG3; .75 FT

Player 1 3.9 ppg; 2.1 rpg; .379 FG; .25 FG3; .722 FT
Player 2 6.5 ppg; 2.4 rpg; .40 FG; .28 FG3; .611 FG
Player 3 1.3 ppg 1.9 apg; .239 FG; .125 FG3; .769 FT

Patience.

Player 1 is Demetris Nichols
Player 2 is Dave Johnson
Player 3 is Lazarus Sims

Nice examples. Now if we can just try not to eat our young...who knows what might happen.

Player 2 is Dave Johnson
Player 3 is Lazarus Sims

Nice examples. Now if we can just try not to eat our young...who knows what might happen.

Very good.

Three guys who turned out to be pretty good players before they were done...

Not having the forth-fifth jr-seniors is becoming a staple with all the 1-2 and dones now adays.

Player 2 is Dave Johnson
Player 3 is Lazarus Sims

Ugh, I was going with Nichols, BRFNEVSCUSE, and Sims.

You can't get them all.

BJ is currently the age most high level HS basketball players are their senior year. He just turned 19. He's within a month of Malachi Richardson's age.

Buss is turning 22 next week.

BJ is going to be good, but he needs time and to add weight. It's coming.

Buss is who has to give us more right now. He's built to handle this competition already. He needs to be ready.

If we are going to use this "excuse" than he should have been red shirted last year, given a year to "mature" and learn the game. He has a great opportunity to shine with the injury to Chris M and the short leash on Tyler which we saw tonight.

If we are going to use this "excuse" than he should have been red shirted last year, given a year to "mature" and learn the game. He has a great opportunity to shine with the injury to Chris M and the short leash on Tyler which we saw tonight.

It's not an excuse, it's reality.

I do agree he should have RS'd.

Right now SU isn't a very good team and will most likely get smoked multiple times in the tougher half of the ACC schedule.

Agreed. We are inconsistent as hell. We're going to lose some but I also think we win a couple. Kaleb is making good improvement.

To be who we can be, Tyler really needs to step up...it's all about him playing better on both sides.

Agreed. We are inconsistent as hell. We're going to lose some but I also think we win a couple. Kaleb is making good improvement.

To be who we can be, Tyler really needs to step up...it's all about him playing better on both sides.

I actually don't think we agree.

When I say SU will get smoked a few times by the better ACC teams, I wasn't suggesting that we will beat any of them in closer games.

Kaleb is getting better ... but he started at such a low performance level (e.g a PG that couldn't bring the ball up court) he still isn't much of a threat. Not his fault, necessarily, he was thrust into this position prematurely possibly.

If I am the opposing coach I tell my guys 1. Try and stop passes into Christmas. 2. Keep passing the ball inside to see if we can get Christmas in foul trouble. 3. Guard Cooney closely and don't worry about him driving because he rarely finishes. 4. Gbinije is a player and he will go to the hoop occasionally. The other guys are rarely threats 5. They are a good defensive team, but not a good offensive team. They have been beaten off the defensive boards consistently. Too few options and we know what those are. Concentrate on those guys defensively and we will see if Roberson and Caleb can beat us.

I'd love to be wrong. I'm a long, long, long time fan. I die when they lose. I'm relieved when they win. But my expectations for this team are way down. They just struggle so on the defensive boards and on the offensive end of the court. I'm philosophical. Not every SU team is going to be great every year. Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you.

They are certainly wasting ROCs tremendous year by being absolute bricklayers...if these guys could help at all on offense along with ROC'S inside presence and g's development we would be blowing out teams we should be