Sophomore Leap | Syracusefan.com

Sophomore Leap

Cuse44

Walk On
Change of pace from transition talk …

If all the freshmen return (I know they all won’t) I think Quadir makes the biggest leap next yr with Taylor a close 2nd

Q is a monster on D in practice has crazy energy and an MCW game. If he develops a little floater look out. Won’t have the JB quick hook - think there is something special that could develop with him.

If all the freshmen return (I know they all won’t) I think Quadir makes the biggest leap next yr with Taylor a close 2nd

Q is a monster on D in practice has crazy energy and an MCW game. If he develops a little floater look out. Won’t have the JB quick hook - think there is something special that could develop with him.
Looking forward to seeing both of these guys in the positions they were recruited for

Bell has an opportunity to be special if he puts the work in to gain good weight

Agreed. Q is my favorite and I think he'll be a stud here. Honestly all of the freshmen could make a huge sophomore leap.

I am wondering if Girard comes back. I would like to see him hit the weight room and get faster and stronger.
I'd like to see the team raise its ceiling, which could be done by playing a 2 guard who is better defensively. It would take us getting an NBA-caliber (or close to it) guard from the portal who is a very good shooter to put alongside Judah next year for us to be really good. Judah's a combo so a portal guard could be a 1, 2 or combo. Quadir and JT getting good minutes off the bench. I'm guessing there's a very low chance of this happening, but if I have a wish, that's the one. Also, probably more importantly, Jesse.

I'd like to see the team raise its ceiling, which could be done by playing a 2 guard who is better defensively. It would take us getting an NBA-caliber (or close to it) guard from the portal who is a very good shooter to put alongside Judah next year for us to be really good. Judah's a combo so a portal guard could be a 1, 2 or combo. Quadir and JT getting good minutes off the bench. I'm guessing there's a very low chance of this happening, but if I have a wish, that's the one. Also, probably more importantly, Jesse.
Well yeah, If it was between Judah and Joe coming back, then I would obviously take Judah. I just don't see him coming back. He was projected early 2nd round, then starting hitting 3's a little more.

Special how? He is the lowest effort and skilled guy I’ve ever seen here. He can shoot, but he doesn’t have even a little bit of basketball instincts. Special? He may be the least special talent I’ve ever seen in Orange.
You must not have been following them when Ethan Cole was on the team? Erik Rogers? How bout Greg Davis?

You must not have been following them when Ethan Cole was on the team? Erik Rogers? How bout Greg Davis?
So you think Chris Bell is a special talent?

I think Bell could be useful (not special) as a junior if her gets stronger. Which he should.

Taylor is a classic tweener. Slow, already strong, not tall enough to be effective as a forward, and lacking the moves to be a good SG. Not sure how he develops quickness. Hard to project him as a typical SU frosh who makes an off-season leap. I would like to be wrong.

Quadir - did not really have the opportunity this season. Maybe he improves his shooting, settles in at a guard spot. He has a little shake in his game.

Special how? He is the lowest effort and skilled guy I’ve ever seen here. He can shoot, but he doesn’t have even a little bit of basketball instincts. Special? He may be the least special talent I’ve ever seen in Orange.
Certainly has good scoring instincts and confidence. Hit a few big time shots that we don’t see many freshman hit even in good years.

Ive been outspoken about my disdain for his effort and lack of physical traits.

That said - if he puts in the effort to remold himself and makes changes I’m not going to act like 20 or so d1 schools were wrong and he has no promise. Come on. The natural scoring skills are visible. He just lacks effort and has negative physicality. Lost cause? Not yet

Certainly has good scoring instincts and confidence. Hit a few big time shots that we don’t see many freshman hit even in good years.

That said - if he puts in the effort to remold himself and makes changes I’m not going to act like 20 or so d1 schools were wrong and he has no promise. Come on. The natural scoring skills are visible. He just lacks effort and has negative physicality. Lost cause? Not yet
Scoring instincts? You mean throwing the ball at the hoop every time he touches it? Which isn’t often because he refuses to move without the ball.

I don’t see anything that resembles natural scoring skills. He’s a one dimensional scorer, outside of shooting the three, how else does he score?

Did those guys all start from day one? I think that’s the qualifier here.

This is funny because I just watched the GMac video. Talk about the polar opposite of one of the all time SU greats.

I just don’t think a kid has the ability at 19 to turn on the effort switch. It’s there or it’s not.

I think Bell could be useful (not special) as a junior if her gets stronger. Which he should.

Taylor is a classic tweener. Slow, already strong, not tall enough to be effective as a forward, and lacking the moves to be a good SG. Not sure how he develops quickness. Hard to project him as a typical SU frosh who makes an off-season leap. I would like to be wrong.

Quadir - did not really have the opportunity this season. Maybe he improves his shooting, settles in at a guard spot. He has a little shake in his game.
I’m so flipping tired of these conversations about x SU basketball player getting stronger. When is the last time someone who came into the Cuse as a beanpole transformed into a specimen, or something approaching that?

I’m so flipping tired of these conversations about x SU basketball player getting stronger. When is the last time someone who came into the Cuse as a beanpole transformed into a specimen, or something approaching that?
Jesse

Scoring instincts? You mean throwing the ball at the hoop every time he touches it? Which isn’t often because he refuses to move without the ball.

I don’t see anything that resembles natural scoring skills. He’s a one dimensional scorer, outside of shooting the three, how else does he score?
If he improves from the corners he’s a 35%+ three point shooter, and he has the ability to score 12 ft and out. He draws defenders and doesn’t pass up on open looks. I wouldn’t say he’s a black hole by any means, but he needs to add muscle for any potential to create his own shot.

I don’t see the point in throwing away solid perimeter threats who may be willing to put in the work to develop further. Yes he’s a liability on defense but nobody said he needed to start or play starter minutes.

Bell doesn’t need to be a football player he needs core and leg strength so he doesn’t get pushed around so easily. Thats muscle development that isn’t visible while they’re running around the court.

We don’t need freshman Brandon Triche’s running around with Sean Tucker muscle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom