Sorry, but it is time... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

The problem wasn’t moving on from PP it was the job done by Dr. Gross replacing him.
PP had a good run here it was that we hired an incompetent in over his head replacement who was fired where he had his greatest success at.
If we hired Pelini or anyone else we wouldn’t have suffered as badly as we did for 4 years.

JB is different than PP.
JB will decide when he is done but asking for some changes to our offense philosophy isn’t a lot to ask.

We saw more movement and cutting without the ball the past two games. Really good. What troubles me is that it took some dire straits to add these tweaks. Basic basketball for sure but stuff we haven’t seen run here recently. We heard JB and players talk about adding new things, adding more movement, etc. Why now? Because of Frank injured? No way, lol. Hard to say if this worked more because of distinct athletic and size advantages or simply outscheming. Probably a little of both. We’ll have to see how it plays out in the ACC. We’ll have athletes on par with us and better. So did ODU and Buffalo. It won’t be this easy again.

We saw more movement and cutting without the ball the past two games. Really good. What troubles me is that it took some dire straits to add these tweaks. Basic basketball for sure but stuff we haven’t seen run here recently. We heard JB and players talk about adding new things, adding more movement, etc. Why now? Because of Frank injured? No way, lol. Hard to say if this worked more because of distinct athletic and size advantages or simply outscheming. Probably a little of both. We’ll have to see how it plays out in the ACC. We’ll have athletes on par with us and better. So did ODU and Buffalo. It won’t be this easy again.

I just can’t see how simply moving without the ball doesn’t translate to the ACC though. I mean it’s a smaller ask than say guarding Zion Williamson straight up.

I just can’t see how simply moving without the ball doesn’t translate to the ACC though. I mean it’s a smaller ask than say guarding Zion Williamson straight up.

Oh I’m all for it. There will be athletes moving forward in which we just can’t go 1-on-1 and beat which is probably what JB prefers, IMO. Gonna have to have some plan B’s, god forbid.

Flawed team overachieving? Getting a team to be much more than the sum of its parts?

Generally, that is called really good coaching. Here, it is called a mirage and we should pretend it didn't happen.

Team underachieves - all on the coach.
Team overachieves - pot luck.

Well, Forza, you have to be good enough to get into the tournament.

That has been far from a "given" for about 5 years now. We've lost 10+ games I believe every one of those years (too lazy to check). Is that good coaching, too?

Both our point guards are injured with HW being out and Frank just getting healthy. Does that matter? Jeff Jones at ODU is a great coach and I would fully endorse him as a candidate to replace JB.

Frank has a month of games behind him now. He should be healthy. He has been shying away from contact and playing too cautiously.

Frank has a month of games behind him now. He should be healthy. He has been shying away from contact and playing too cautiously.
This is the second time I've seen this stated on the board. Someone thinks they can decide how an injury is affecting how that player feels. People aren't machines and heel differently and have setbacks etc. Next time your ill, maybe people will be this callous to you.

Yes, I absolutely would. The program is stale.

It has lost to Buffalo and Old Dominion at the Dome this year and is looking at another double-digit loss season, the fifth (FIFTH) straight year in which we have lost 10+ games. It has missed or has been on the brink of missing the NCAA Tournament each of the last four years.

I'm hopeful this team changes the narrative and is able to prove me wrong. I really am. But overall, looking at the last 4+ seasons and looking at what the program has become as it relates to the league its in (RE: middle of the pack in the ACC), something in the program needs to change. And I believe others know this too.

All that being said, I'm going to root like heck for SU and hope they win every single one of the remaining games. I don't wish ill will on anyone and don't want this team to lose to prove me right. I want Syracuse basketball to remain a national power, I want to see it in the Top 25 every single week and I want the program to compete for national titles on a semi-consistent basis.

Given the resources, fan base, league and exposure the program receives, it should be an expectation. The bubble and 10-loss seasons should not be.
Ok. I can both disagree with that but also respect it as a position.

And we are on the same side of the table when it comes to hoping this year’s team finds last year’s magic.

Not sure Cory Alexander was supposed to spill the beans on the telecast, but he said Frank broke a bone in his lower leg and needed surgery. If true, and he’s playing now, there is no way he is 100% mentally or physically, and that impacts how you play. He clearly is not the same player he was last season shooting the ball. Even his floaters are short. I think it’s a miracle he’s as far along as he is. I doubt he is back to old Frank until mid conference, barring any setbacks. Very hard to lose your senior PG and develop chemistry with new players. Add in the fact that Tyus played out of position for most of the non-conference, Chukwu has regressed considerably, and Sidibe is basically starting from scratch after surgery of his own and we’re where we’re at. It sucks, but I’m glad we have a HOF’er on the sideline to figure this out.

Does anyone think K would do any different if he didn’t have the booster bagmen out there grabbing top 5 players every season?

Not sure Cory Alexander was supposed to spill the beans on the telecast, but he said Frank broke a bone in his lower leg and needed surgery. If true, and he’s playing now, there is no way he is 100% mentally or physically, and that impacts how you play. He clearly is not the same player he was last season shooting the ball. Even his floaters are short. I think it’s a miracle he’s as far along as he is. I doubt he is back to old Frank until mid conference, barring any setbacks. Very hard to lose your senior PG and develop chemistry with new players. Add in the fact that Tyus played out of position for most of the non-conference, Chukwu has regressed considerably, and Sidibe is basically starting from scratch after surgery of his own and we’re where we’re at. It sucks, but I’m glad we have a HOF’er on the sideline to figure this out.

Does anyone think K would do any different if he didn’t have the booster bagmen out there grabbing top 5 players every season?

Heard that too re: Cory A. I thought I heard him say a broken ankle.

Both our point guards are injured with HW being out and Frank just getting healthy. Does that matter? Jeff Jones at ODU is a great coach and I would fully endorse him as a candidate to replace JB.

HW doesn't matter. We had a 13 point lead and should never give those up. Team was sluggish, hopefully the last two game snapped them out of that.

Heard that too re: Cory A. I thought I heard him say a broken ankle.

I know that to be a fact. It can take some time to get back from an injury like that, as much mentally as physically.

The fractured ankle shouldn't be a surprise, as it was mentioned early on he had surgery and he was in a foot cast. So, connecting the dots here wasn't too difficult as one usually doesn't have surgery for a sprained ankle, torn ligaments etc. They say, a break is better than a sprain, maybe not the case here with Frank though. Although, I agree at this time in his recovery, it may be more mental than physical.

Last edited:
Yeah if anyone has been grinding the “fire JB” axe for years it’s TMI.

Huh? I hope this is sarcasm. I may be a proponent of using statistics to analyze coaching and player performance, and I'm not afraid to point out areas where there is room for improvement, but I've never said 'fire JB'. Not once.

I know that to be a fact. It can take some time to get back from an injury like that, as much mentally as physically.

There was a story the last couple days about a player in one of the bowl games who broke his foot and needed surgery. Said he had to take a redshirt year and wasn’t 100% for a year.

Huh? I hope this is sarcasm. I may be a proponent of using statistics to analyze coaching and player performance, and I'm not afraid to point out areas where there is room for improvement, but I've never said 'fire JB'. Not once.

I think he was being sarcastic towards the poster who responded to you.

I am not a JB hater by any means. I'm not sure how "I don't want Jeff Jones as our next coach" equates to "I hate Jim Boeheim". That is one crazy leap of logic.
His early career at UVA was strong, then things went downhill. He spent a lot of time at a deadend job at American U. before going to ODU where his career is trending up. I think he is a well studied and traveled professional coach and his current team has athletes and talent and are not Canisius or IUPUI, and they didn't fold up on the road at the Dome down 13.. But the point of this thread is basically, I'm sorry Boeheim has to go. That crap irks me and I see legit reasons for the slow start but people would rather pick apart my arguments on technicalities than admit thuse factors are real and the reason for the slow start.

I am not a JB hater by any means. I'm not sure how "I don't want Jeff Jones as our next coach" equates to "I hate Jim Boeheim". That is one crazy leap of logic.

There are maybe two posters in the history of this board (although I'm hard pressed to come up with the second) who would have leaped to the irrational conclusion that you are a JB hater based on your response.

The poster who made this particular leap of logic is a known leaper and, worse still, is deliberately antagonistic.

This is the second time I've seen this stated on the board. Someone thinks they can decide how an injury is affecting how that player feels. People aren't machines and heel differently and have setbacks etc. Next time your ill, maybe people will be this callous to you.

If he's not healthy, then he shouldn't be playing.
I watch other sports; I imagine that you do, too.
There are somewhat "standard" recovery times for certain types of injuries, so I don't find it "callous" to say that if the guy is healthy enough to play, then he's got to play better. And if he's still hurt, then why is he playing so much? That's on the coach and the medical staff.

There are maybe two posters in the history of this board (although I'm hard pressed to come up with the second) who would have leaped to the irrational conclusion that you are a JB hater based on your response.

The poster who made this particular leap of logic is a known leaper and, worse still, is deliberately antagonistic.

Exactly. Well said. Everyone just don't fall into the trap...

Reactions: 007

To be honest I didn’t think there was any way for that be construed OTHER than sarcasm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom