Sounds like Hacket's genius was on full display | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sounds like Hacket's genius was on full display

There was plenty of good plays today considering how the offensive lines were very thin on both sides.Nassib threw the long ball very well today and kobena made one hell of a catch on a fly pattern that was well covered.Broyld is going to be a very special player whenever he gets the ball in his hands.J.Wilkes grabbed Broyld from behind and Aston never broke stride and made a slick cut on an another defender as Wilkes was sliding off him.I think the play went for about 60 yards.

Jerome Smith turns the corner very hard on the toss sweeps as he is looking to go north and south first vs. dancing with the tully's dance team.Adrian Flemming showed some nice hands and good routes...a definite improvement over last year.

this team has the potential to surprise some teams this year as the overall team speed and talent is better than some previous teams,we just need to be healthy for a good month or two

Like who?

Bobby Petrino?

I don't mean to be flippant, but you and I have no idea who is qualified and who is not.

I thought Greg Robinson was a proven football coach. And we know how that turned out

I thought Brian White was a proven OC and few on this board liked him. Same thing with Browning. Proven guy who did nothing on the Hill.

Rob Spence - proven OC and QB coach. And few on this board liked him.

You're gonna have to give Doug Marrone some credit. It's his butt on the line. He's not going to hire or keep a guy who can't coach.

Be patient. And wait to see what Hackett and the rest of the coaches can do with better and more experienced talent.

I strongly suspect that Ashton Broyld and Marcus Sales will make Hackett a better coach this fall.

I don't have time nor do I care to look over all the coaching staffs at the D1 or D1AA level but there are a lot of OC's out there putting up tons of points. I'd start with the D1AA level and look to pull in one of their top OCs.

We were Hackett's first job for cripes sake and 2 years later he's our OC and QB coach. Give me a break. This is the BCS level and we're his training wheels.

Even if you can't hire a proven OC how about at least a guy who had some coaching experience on the resume. And the other part of the job, recruiting, wake me up when Hackett actually lands a recruit.

I can't fault any OC that worked for Gump. Gump was terrible, White and Browning had proven success and for the record I liked both of them.

Spence might not have been given enough time. In retrospect Spence did a better job than Hackett because he only had one season and did it with only 55 scholarship players and a 1st year D1 QB.

Do you really think that we see things - without knowing much about football - that the coaches don't see on the field and on the film?

I wanted to add the following...

Under our current system no one can argue against Nassib being the best QB to run this O. It isn't even close. But the fact is we only scored 24.17 ppg last year. Will we be much better this year? Yes, we got Sales back but we also lost Bailey, Chew, and Provo. Not to mention two starters from our OL. How will a young and raw Foy fair? How will that compare to Tiller, who was ABE? Who replaces Hay? Will Chibane and Mackey make a leap after struggling badly last year?

Today you saw Broyld and some of what he can do. Now if we put him at QB and ran the RRod WV system where he would only throw it 20 times a game, IYO would we be more explosive and would it increase the chances of SU scoring over 24 ppg? Would it be worse? Would it not matter and just be the same? And if our OL is our weakness on O would you rather be passing it 35 times a game or 20?

I am a huge Nassib defender. I think he gets a raw deal around here. But to compare the situation IMO it would be like choosing between Matt Schaub and Vince Young. Schaub is clearly the better QB. Which is why he has an NFL career, while Young has fizzled out. However Young was a dominate CFB player, and would give a CFB team a better chance to win vs having Schaub. Nassib is clearly a better QB than anyone we have. What I question is given the surrounding talent does Nassib running this system give us the best chance to win vs Hunt or Broyld running another system?

IMO if we get to conference play and are averaging less than 28 ppg, then we made a mistake.

orangepa i enjoy your posts, and your articulation, always thought out and well presented---and have been around as long as i therefore know the history--sorry, i think that sometimes you may be too defensive--its not about the points.it's about the PROCESS to score the points. i am almost positive that n'western and usc will not be as impressed as we. anyway as i said, i'm still on board (how many seasons now?)by the way where do you have to travel from?i am in bethlehem pa. could not attend, had to go to 90th birthday party for my son inlaws grandfather

I'm in Devon, near Villanova.

I am just dumbfounded by the constant negativity on this board. I find the utter need for instant gratification a bit silly.

And I really get tired of the "we need a new coach" answer to most issues.

What we need are more great athletes like Ashton Broyld - get ten more guys like him and Doug Marrone will be Vince Lombardi very quickly.

We saw today what it means to have a big, fast, athletic football player on the offensive side. We need more and more of those guys.

I wanted to add the following...

Under our current system no one can argue against Nassib being the best QB to run this O. It isn't even close. But the fact is we only scored 24.17 ppg last year. Will we be much better this year? Yes, we got Sales back but we also lost Bailey, Chew, and Provo. Not to mention two starters from our OL. How will a young and raw Foy fair? How will that compare to Tiller, who was ABE? Who replaces Hay? Will Chibane and Mackey make a leap after struggling badly last year?

Today you saw Broyld and some of what he can do. Now if we put him at QB and ran the RRod WV system where he would only throw it 20 times a game, IYO would we be more explosive and would it increase the chances of SU scoring over 24 ppg? Would it be worse? Would it not matter and just be the same? And if our OL is our weakness on O would you rather be passing it 35 times a game or 20?

I am a huge Nassib defender. I think he gets a raw deal around here. But to compare the situation IMO it would be like choosing between Matt Schaub and Vince Young. Schaub is clearly the better QB. Which is why he has an NFL career, while Young has fizzled out. However Young was a dominate CFB player, and would give a CFB team a better chance to win vs having Schaub. Nassib is clearly a better QB than anyone we have. What I question is given the surrounding talent does Nassib running this system give us the best chance to win vs Hunt or Broyld running another system?

IMO if we get to conference play and are averaging less than 28 ppg, then we made a mistake.

I think it's probably unrealistic to first, guage what we will be offensively on the basis of what we saw today and second to expect Marrone to gear the change the system for a frosh - Broyld - this late in the game.

He just found out during the last 15 practices what the kid can do.

The design of the offense was developed well before spring practice. It would have been malpractice for Marrone to have tailored the scheme to Ashton and it would be wrong to do so now. Tinker yes, but design the entire system on that basis - no.

I like Kinder and want him to succeed, but at this point, is not the answer. I don't think it ever occured to me that he is another Nunes.

Troy got by with his unique football IQ. He had a tremendous grasp of the offense.

Kinder right now gives no indication that he has that kind of grasp and he does not show well as a runner or passer or field general at this point. Hopefully he will continue to develope.

And yes, the offensive system that DeLeone developed took advantage of the talent we had including the talent level of the OL. I'm not sure that we are at the same point now - in terms of talent level - that we were when DeLeone introduced the freeze option.

Lets see what the offense really is when the fall comes around. Then we can debate the system. I suspect that we will see some of what Coach D did back in the late 1980s. But time will tell.

I don't have time nor do I care to look over all the coaching staffs at the D1 or D1AA level but there are a lot of OC's out there putting up tons of points. I'd start with the D1AA level and look to pull in one of their top OCs.

We were Hackett's first job for cripes sake and 2 years later he's our OC and QB coach. Give me a break. This is the BCS level and we're his training wheels.

Even if you can't hire a proven OC how about at least a guy who had some coaching experience on the resume. And the other part of the job, recruiting, wake me up when Hackett actually lands a recruit.

I can't fault any OC that worked for Gump. Gump was terrible, White and Browning had proven success and for the record I liked both of them.

Spence might not have been given enough time. In retrospect Spence did a better job than Hackett because he only had one season and did it with only 55 scholarship players and a 1st year D1 QB.

First job?

Check the Resume. The guy was bred to be a coach for gosh sakes. I suspect he knows more about football than all the coaches you can't name.

You may have liked White and Browning - I did too - but their experience didn't help them much here. Hackett with his supposed lack of experience has won 13 games and a bowl game in two years.

So, I'll take his experience level over White and Browning for now.

And if we get him more and more guys like Ashton Broyld Coach Hackett will become a better and better coach.

Oh, and one question. How the heck do you know what kind of recruiter Hackett is? Do you sit in on meetings or home visits or do you attend coaches clinics or listen to phone calls?

My goodness.

Oh for gosh sakes, it was a scrimmage.

Who cares how many points were scored?

True, but doesn't one wish to get hope by seeing the offense score?

It is Spring, yes, but for the O to put an 0 up isn't as pleasing as anyone would like.

True, but doesn't one wish to get hope by seeing the offense score?

It is Spring, yes, but for the O to put an 0 up isn't as pleasing as anyone would like.

It's important that being an SU football fan is as frustrating, discouraging and painful as possible.

Therefore, today was a raging success.

He was very good. Wish we still had him at least as OL coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He was very good. Wish we still had him at least as OL coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I liked him, too and hoped Marrone would retain him. He ran a two back offesne at Minneota that was very effective and I think Smith and Gulley might have been an interesting combination.

I am just dumbfounded by the constant negativity on this board. I find the utter need for instant gratification a bit silly.

After what has happened over the last decade, I don't think we could be accused of wanting "instant gratification". Signs of life would be more like it.

What we need are more great athletes like Ashton Broyld - get ten more guys like him and Doug Marrone will be Vince Lombardi very quickly.

We saw today what it means to have a big, fast, athletic football player on the offensive side. We need more and more of those guys.

With all due respect, I think no one who remains an su fb fan can be accused of wanting "instant gratification". I'll be perfectly happy to have back to back winning seasons, not really too much to ask for is it? Regarding coaches resumes; who cares about 'em? The on field product speaks volumes more about their abilities than does their resume.

It amazes me how it's always the recruits. Perfect example locally... does Camillus breed the best lacrosse players or do they have the best coach with the best system?

So you lead with a pretty provocative statement and then immediately back off with the logical observation that one can draw very few conclusions from a spring game. I don't get it.

And then you state that there has been no development at any position on the offense.

I don't know what you're watching.

Kobena looks much improved. Macky looks improved. Foy looks improved. Jerome Smith looks much improved. PT Gulley looks improved. Max Beaulieu even looks improved at TE.

And, in three years Nassib has improved a great deal. Clearly he is no Marino or Cam Newton, but has become a steady manager of the offense. He has won 13 games in two years including a bowl game. I think the comment you have included as a suggestion is probably accurate - the coaches have squeezed just about all that can be squeezed out of Ryan Nassib.

Well to be honest much of my first paragraph - while mostly true - is sarcasm considering the fact that none of those are excuses for Hacket's porous offense.

I'm glad those players look improved to you but there is no way of knowing that they are improved until September. All we know is that despite their improvement, they posted a whopping zero points on the board yesterday.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about Nassib. He has not improved nearly as much as he should to this point. Maybe he will finally break out this season but based on the scrimmage yesterday I dont think anyone can expect it to happen.

Well to be honest much of my first paragraph - while mostly true - is sarcasm considering the fact that none of those are excuses for Hacket's porous offense.

I'm glad those players look improved to you but there is no way of knowing that they are improved until September. All we know is that despite their improvement, they posted a whopping zero points on the board yesterday.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about Nassib. He has not improved nearly as much as he should to this point. Maybe he will finally break out this season but based on the scrimmage yesterday I dont think anyone can expect it to happen.

Okay, so now you say that there is no way to determine if any improvement has been made - that we have to wait until September. Fair enough.

But you ruin the comment by complaining about the amount of points scored yesterday.

It was a scrimmage - repeat that to yourself three times.

You have no idea what they were actually trying to do.

It was a split team.

There was no scheming going on.

It was a scrimmage for gosh sakes.

So all we need is 10 more Broylds? LOL Syracuse gets a guy like that maybe twice a decade, if Marrone and Hackett need several more like him before we get this offense going we are in serious trouble.

So all we need is 10 more Broylds? LOL Syracuse gets a guy like that maybe twice a decade, if Marrone and Hackett need several more like him before we get this offense going we are in serious trouble.

Come on, we all know that those MAC and WAC schools that put up 40 points a game have rosters loaded with Broylds.

Right?

Come on, we all know that those MAC and WAC schools that put up 40 points a game have rosters loaded with Broylds.

Right?

LOL the line keeps getting pushed back further and further, this board is turning into Rutgersfan.com when Schiano was the coach. Now we need at least a handful more Broylds before we can expect a great Offense that Hackett can run. Yeah sorry were looking for instant gratification, a decade of being one of the worst teams in Div1 and coming of one of the worst collapses in team history will do that to you.

I have no idea why he wasnt let go this past year, I know Marrone likes him personally but there way to many play calling blunders last year for him to survive.

I'm sure HCDM liked Conley personally too. I don't think that enters into the equation.

I strongly suspect that Ashton Broyld and Marcus Sales will make Hackett a better coach this fall.

Agree with this completely.

I'm sure HCDM liked Conley personally too. I don't think that enters into the equation.

I actually agree, I expect that if the O struggles again this year Marrone will have to request the funds $$$ to go out and get an O coordinator with some history other then his last name and someone who can recruit.

Agree with this completely.

This is assuming Broyld is (a) for real, and (b) gets a meaningful amount of touches.

I've been very frustrated the past couple years that Marrone and Hackett haven't found more ways to get the ball into the hands of their best playmakers more often. Way too many lumbering 3rd string TE catches, etc. for my liking.

This is assuming Broyld is (a) for real, and (b) gets a meaningful amount of touches.

I've been very frustrated the past couple years that Marrone and Hackett haven't found more ways to get the ball into the hands of their best playmakers more often. Way too many lumbering 3rd string TE catches, etc. for my liking.

I was kinda disappointed to see some of the formations we did yesterday. I mean seriously do we really need to have a fullback out there as often as we do? Do we really think it scares teams when in obvious passing situations we go shotgun and spread a FB out wide vs having another WR in? Do we need to use as many two TEs set as we do? We can choose 5 skill postions players to put into a game at a time. We should be putting our best possible 5 guys out there. Is our 2nd TE and/or FB in our top 5? We have a ton of RBs and WRs yet we only play 3 at a time. We have little depth at TE and FB yet we usually play two at a time. That to me defies logic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom