Southerland Clowning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland Clowning

In a way James is really just a different personality DNIC. DNIC was our only option on a not so deep or talented squad his SR year. James gives us a huge threat that opens the game up for other teams. With college hoops being down this year a good team with decent talent is sure fire top 10 ( us). Maybe in a different year like last year we are more like 15-20 with this years team. If you think of 09-10 - we were the best team in the country ( with AO). Duke won it that year with really one lights out shooter in Scheyer ( sp?). Duke was mediocre all year to an extent and impressed no one with a weaker non-conf schedule. They still ended up winning it all...

i saw way too many times last night where james was WAY out of position on sideline 3's by the friars and luckily they couldn't hit them....that was a problem with he and grant against SHU but they were making them.....JB still can't be happy about that

other than that, i love james' game and enthusiasm

I'm sure we've had the same kind of posts on here when we lose where some people have disliked a player on the opposing team because of the way he acted on the court when in reality there was really nothing there

Only way he gets drafted is if he absolutely lights up the tourney for 5 or 6 games. I'm talking 24ppg, 7rpg, 55% from the field.

PC didn't hate Southerland when he couldn't hit a shot at the Dunk.

He went off tonight, and he had fun while doing it. That's always a mortal sin in the eyes of the losing team.

He needs to improve his handle and D. Then I can see him being a poor man's Trevor Ariza.

I love the "another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange" bit from the Providence board. In 58 games against us all-time, they've "stuck a knife" in us exactly 10 times.

EDIT: To put it another way, we own Providence more completely than we own Colgate.

I don't think his handle is as bad as people make it out to be. But yeah, I don't think he's a first rounder either. I just think he shoots well enough and is athletic enough to find a spot on an NBA roster.
I don't think he's consistent enough with his shot, has a good enough dribble, or plays good enough defense to make it to the NBA.

That being said, SU is not an NBA team, and for what we need, JS is a hell of a player.

If we can somehow improve the offensive play from our center spot, the return of JS makes this team FF quality.

I love the "another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange" bit from the Providence board. In 58 games against us all-time, they've "stuck a knife" in us exactly 10 times.

EDIT: To put it another way, we own Providence more completely than we own Colgate.
Funny that you mention Colgate. In the first half PC definitely got the Colgate treatment.

i saw way too many times last night where james was WAY out of position on sideline 3's by the friars and luckily they couldn't hit them....that was a problem with he and grant against SHU but they were making them.....JB still can't be happy about that

other than that, i love james' game and enthusiasm

That puts James in the dog house with JB... but not much with the NBA

apparently the Providence fans do not like Southerland.

Here are a few tidbits from their forum

Perhaps we see them in the BE tournament? I think Big Ed will have PLENTY of motivational moments from last night's game. Southerland is a and honestly Carter-Williams S eating grin the entire game is VERY annoying as well. I would really love to get them on a neutral court with the underdog tag. I think if we stick close, the crowd will side with the Friars and could be a blast!

I could not agree more. Is he a talented basketball player, yes. Southerland is the key to Syracuse's success with his scoring ability, length playing the zone, and experience. That is why Syracuse struggled without him. It's too bad the Friars missed out on his suspension. But he is a ! Last year at the Dunk he did a windmill slam with the shot clock off in the second half. It's too bad we don't have another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange.

Love that last line. Um you had two chances and one of them was yesterday. I don't hate PC by any stretch, but this thought process is one of someone who is used to losing

"Big Ed" was the coach who kept their starters in and pressing our walkons. What exactly are those morons complaining about? I hope we do get to play them in MSG. I've also read several times from several of the beat writers that PC has one of the more negative student sections in the country. Remember Bud's column after they beat us at their place in 09 that shows they go above and beyond the typical rancor from a student section with a lot of different slurs being thrown out.

apparently the Providence fans do not like Southerland.

Here are a few tidbits from their forum

Perhaps we see them in the BE tournament? I think Big Ed will have PLENTY of motivational moments from last night's game. Southerland is a and honestly Carter-Williams S eating grin the entire game is VERY annoying as well. I would really love to get them on a neutral court with the underdog tag. I think if we stick close, the crowd will side with the Friars and could be a blast!

I could not agree more. Is he a talented basketball player, yes. Southerland is the key to Syracuse's success with his scoring ability, length playing the zone, and experience. That is why Syracuse struggled without him. It's too bad the Friars missed out on his suspension. But he is a ! Last year at the Dunk he did a windmill slam with the shot clock off in the second half. It's too bad we don't have another opportunity to stick a knife in the Orange.

Love that last line. Um you had two chances and one of them was yesterday. I don't hate PC by any stretch, but this thought process is one of someone who is used to losing

I love rants like this. They just lost like 90% of their games to us over a 30+ year span, and they want one more crack.

They were completely outmatched last night, like they usually are against us. If they had another chance to "stick a knife in us", they'd lose by 15-20 again, regardless of where the game was played. Give up, and move on!

James loves cupcakes, there are no cupcakes in the NBA

Understood, but he's almost 6-8 and can shoot lights out from beyond NBA range. If a guy like JJ Redick can get some NBA looks for his shooting, James certainly can. His wingspan is awesome, he is ridiculously athletic, and he can shoot, something that today's NBA teams need. However, he needs to improve his lateral quickness a defense to really give himself a chance.

Understood, but he's almost 6-8 and can shoot lights out from beyond NBA range. If a guy like JJ Redick can get some NBA looks for his shooting, James certainly can. His wingspan is awesome, he is ridiculously athletic, and he can shoot, something that today's NBA teams need. However, he needs to improve his lateral quickness a defense to really give himself a chance.

No doubt about JS's potential even though I don't think he'll be drafted. Redick however has become a very good player. He could always do a little bit of everything at Duke and now he is much stronger physically. There is a reason he is one of the most coveted players involved in pre-trade deadline discussions.

But he is a ! Last year at the Dunk he did a windmill slam with the shot clock off in the second half.

I remember that dunk from last year. It was pretty much a douche move.

There was a play right in the corner near us (thank you Joyce!) where he screamed something at one of the Friars. No clue what it was- the guy next to me even asked if I heard it- but he was this.close to his face. Probably not appreciated :/

I remember that dunk from last year. It was pretty much a douche move.

IIRC, Providence was still pressing at the end of that game with the game out of control. If you want to press when you have no chance, then go ahead, but if a windmill dunk happens to get thrown on your head, then that's on you, not us.

IIRC, Providence was still pressing at the end of that game with the game out of control. If you want to press when you have no chance, then go ahead, but if a windmill dunk happens to get thrown on your head, then that's on you, not us.

I don't remember them pressing, but you could be right. Just didn't see the need for a windmill dunk at that time. Apparently they didn't either. Hasn't hurt us so far, but plays like that are stupid.

I don't remember them pressing, but you could be right. Just didn't see the need for a windmill dunk at that time. Apparently they didn't either. Hasn't hurt us so far, but plays like that are stupid.

The Flynn one @USF when time expired was also a douche move.

Nevermind, you're right, it was off a turnover in the final seconds. Not sure which game I'm thinking of, but I remember the other team's fans getting all upset over a late dunk by us, when they were full-court pressing and trapping at the end of the game down double digits.

Nevermind, you're right, it was off a turnover in the final seconds. Not sure which game I'm thinking of, but I remember the other team's fans getting all upset over a late dunk by us, when they were full-court pressing and trapping at the end of the game down double digits.

Things like that make me see a little bit why other teams don't like JB either. Scoop, Dion, CJ and James in with our team up 14 with less than 30 seconds to go. Come on JB, give the walks ons some run.

Things like that make me see a little bit why other teams don't like JB either. Scoop, Dion, CJ and James in with our team up 14 with less than 30 seconds to go. Come on JB, give the walks ons some run.

JB has always said that he doesn't want to put his walk-ons in to play against the other teams starters because he doesn't want to see something like what happened last night happen - Vincent Council pressing against the walk-ons and ripping them before they get to half court.

JB has always said that he doesn't want to put his walk-ons in to play against the other teams starters because he doesn't want to see something like what happened last night happen - Vincent Council pressing against the walk-ons and ripping them before they get to half court.

Heck, he ripped Triche so that's not a great excuse.

You mean national POY JJ Reddick?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom