Southerland Clowning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland Clowning

Today was the first time I could envision him in the NBA.

He's got to improve his dribble if be wants to have a pro career. His closest comparable is probably Demtris Nichols, who is finally starting to get his game together in the D League

Understood, but he's almost 6-8 and can shoot lights out from beyond NBA range. If a guy like JJ Redick can get some NBA looks for his shooting, James certainly can. His wingspan is awesome, he is ridiculously athletic, and he can shoot, something that today's NBA teams need. However, he needs to improve his lateral quickness a defense to really give himself a chance.
like someone mentioned national player of the year JJ Redick?

all time leading scorer at Duke JJ Redick?

2nd all time leading scorer in the ACC JJ Redick?

11th overall pick JJ Redick?

careers 40% 3pt shooter at Duke JJ Redick?(James hasn't shot 40% in a single season)

all time NCAA 3 pointers made JJ Redick?

didn't fact check all these but I think you get the point and am pretty sure they are correct

i think james will get drafted, being 6'8 with nba range and crazy athleticism will be enough for a team to take a chance on him.

not a JJ Redick fa by any means, but..

::Chris Carter voice::

Come on MANNNNN

That is one fans opinion, I for one have no desire to see anymore of Cuse this year. As fine a display as you will see from any team. Honestly you won't lose too many games ever with that team playing like they did last night. Men against boys, we still have a way to go.

In regards to Southerland, making a free throw while you are up 25 with two minutes and trying to get a high five from an opposing player is a douche move, no matter how bitter we might be.

jamescomes from a great family and he has been outstanding to my three boys, above and beyond, know them all by first name

Today was the first time I could envision him in the NBA.

He reminds me of Buffalo's Bob McAdoo, a UNC grad who was the same size and could shoot "lights out" from distance.

James is really going to have to stroke it like Novak to find a spot in the Association. Even the Knicks are now finding that they can't even hide him on the other side of the ball...and it might cost them more points than it gains them when he is in the game.

Understood, but he's almost 6-8 and can shoot lights out from beyond NBA range. If a guy like JJ Redick can get some NBA looks for his shooting, James certainly can. His wingspan is awesome, he is ridiculously athletic, and he can shoot, something that today's NBA teams need. However, he needs to improve his lateral quickness a defense to really give himself a chance.

Redick is a much better shooter than Southerland. He's shooting a shade below 40% this year, which is really good, but for his career he's at 36.1%. That's solid, no question. Redick took more 3's (Southerland takes about 7.8 3's per 40, Redick took 9.5) and hit them at 40% for his career. He was also a 91% foul shooter.

They aren't good comps anyway, since JJ is an elite shooter who plays the 2, and James is a good shooter who is a 3 or a stretch 4, but they aren't comparable shooters. If James was JJ's size, with his shooting, he might get a look in the NBA, but he's not going lottery like Redick. He went to Duke so it's easy to dislike him and he was probably overrated as a player, but he's an incredible shooter.

James is really going to have to stroke it like Novak to find a spot in the Association. Even the Knicks are now finding that they can't even hide him on the other side of the ball...and it might cost them more points than it gains them when he is in the game.

Don't see a Novak comp for James either; Novak is a terrible defensive player who basically has one NBA skill. James has other NBA skills aside from him shooting.

For a comp; what about a guy who shares his first name; James Posey. Posey went 18th, which I don't see for James, but he was basically a stretch 4 for Boston when they won a title. 6-8 215, shot 35% from 3 for his career. Dude played 864 games in the league, which I'm not projecting James for, but that might be a decent comp for him. I don't think he's ever going to be an elite 3 point shooter in the league, but I think it can be part of the package he offers to a team. Though I do worry about his ball handling, which is why stretch 4 might be the role for him.

Don't see a Novak comp for James either; Novak is a terrible defensive player who basically has one NBA skill. James has other NBA skills aside from him shooting.

I'm not sure James' other skills on offense will translate much, as he has no handle. Our guy Wes Johnson got exposed at the next level because he became afraid to even put it on the deck. All the other athleticism won't matter when he can't dribble past anyone.

I'm not sure James has more than one NBA skill. He would get abused by NBA 3's and 4's.

I'm not sure James' other skills on offense will translate much, as he has no handle. Our guy Wes Johnson got exposed at the next level because he became afraid to even put it on the deck. All the other athleticism won't matter when he can't dribble past anyone.

Agreed on that, but, for instance, Novak averages 3.3 rebounds per 36 minutes, and he's 6-10. James would grab more boards than that. Novak has 6 blocks all year.

James would be a limited NBA player, but Novak is in the league for one reason. James can contribute at roughly an NBA level at more things. But he's obviously not going to have any skill that matches Novak's shooting.

I'm not sure James has more than one NBA skill. He would get abused by NBA 3's and 4's.

I'm not saying he's going to be a great defender in the NBA, but he's going to be a much better defender than Novak. He would grab more boards, block more shots, get more steals. Would he be great, or even average at those things? I don't know, but I don't see the comp to Novak because James is mroe well rounded.

Agree. He's basically D Nic...but probably not even as good defensively. D Nic could stroke it, but had zero handle. If you are a 3 and can't put the ball on the floor...good night on your NBA chances unless you stroke it 40+ percent from deep.

Agree. He's basically D Nic...but probably not even as good defensively. D Nic could stroke it, but had zero handle. If you are a 3 and can't put the ball on the floor...good night on your NBA chances unless you stroke it 40+ percent from deep.

I can see a more athletic Nichols. Which could be an NBA player, could not be.

Could be. DNich probably did a little more with the ball in his hand. James scores three ways. Transition threes primarily, finding a spot in the middle of a zone for a short jumper off no dribbling, and alley-oops.

I know every kid is different..but when I look at D Nic, Wesley, Donte, etc, etc and what they did in the pros...I have a hard time seeing a long term spot for Dirty in the Association. He doesn't strike me as an exceptionally hard worker... but I guess we will see!

Did you all notice Southerland repeatedly trying to bait PC players into high fiving him after made free throws? He almost got a guy at least once who then realized what was happening and waved his hand as if to say "come on man!"
I think he copied that move from someone.

Southy takes time off on defense and this is evident when teams attempt numerous 3-pt shots from his side. Usually out of position and not a strong rebounder like CJ.

Did you all notice Southerland repeatedly trying to bait PC players into high fiving him after made free throws? He almost got a guy at least once who then realized what was happening and waved his hand as if to say "come on man!"

Just showing a certain committee that he is a little "cray-cray" to support his case...;)

For a comp; what about a guy who shares his first name; James Posey. Posey went 18th, which I don't see for James, but he was basically a stretch 4 for Boston when they won a title. 6-8 215, shot 35% from 3 for his career. Dude played 864 games in the league, which I'm not projecting James for, but that might be a decent comp for him. I don't think he's ever going to be an elite 3 point shooter in the league, but I think it can be part of the package he offers to a team. Though I do worry about his ball handling, which is why stretch 4 might be the role for him.

James Posey played a key role on title teams as a defender against all star players. Our James will never be able to defend like that and if you can't defend like that, you better be an offensive dynamo.

He takes plays off, doesn't have a good handle and he is wildly inconsistent.

For what we need him for, he is great. For what NBA teams need him for, he would have to become a better AND more consistent three point shooter just to sniff the floor.

I just don't see it.

He reminds me of Buffalo's Bob McAdoo, a UNC grad who was the same size and could shoot "lights out" from distance.

I remember McAdoo well, great shooter and scorer. Seems like he was much beefer than JS. Ended his career chasing a ring in LA, I believe. JS has a long ways to go to be in McAdoo's class.

Scouts will drool at the size, athleticism, shooting combo. He won't be asked to dribble. Spot up 3 in the league.[/quote
Yeah, just like Andy. You need more skills than spotting up in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom