Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation | Syracusefan.com

Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
Possibly a tutor wrote part of his term paper

And he had to repay $70 to avoid a previous suspension

The professor had to go to NCAA how else would they know about this. ???

Don't get a good feeling about this. Don't know why, but this one seems tough.

Yea if this is true it's blatant cheating, and he's done. Bees or Jake, please tell me I'm wrong!

PS. That $70 thing is ridiculous to me for some reason...

PPS. But JB saying he thinks it could get resolved gives a little light at the end of the tunnel...

Im guessing the term paper was a final and probably made up a healthy percentage of his overall grade in the class. If the prof isnt buying that South wrote it himself, he/she likely gave him an Incomplete or failed him. If the prof thinks its a cheating matter and South failed the class as a result, then he is in deep stuff because that is an uphill battle. If he received an Incomplete, then there is at least a little bit of wiggle room and he may be able to resubmit the paper and (hopefully) receive a passing grade. I knew a couple of people that were caught cheating and I dont know anyone that weaseled his way out of it. And the appeal process took weeks to complete.

Would or could this sort of thing lead to possible sanctions? I would think it would if someone was doing his work... ???

Possibly a tutor wrote part of his term paper

And he had to repay $70 to avoid a previous suspension
How could one prove that unless the tutor says, "yup."

Very fine line between helping a student a d doing work. Not sure how school or NCAA can determine this.

Would or could this sort of thing lead to possible sanctions? I would think it would if someone was doing his work... ???

Nah. Just cite whatever UNC said. Something like, "Well, we didnt know that any of this was happening on the academic side...at least not until this came to our attention. Going forward, we will make athletes do their own work."

This is complete horse crap. UNC's academic scandal netted a grand total of ZERO games missed. The football player from this past year, highsmith, blatantly plagarised a term paper. Google it. He was not suspended.

Don't get confused about the UNC football players that were suspended a couple years ago. That was for accepting cash and gifts. Nobody has missed a game for their rampant academic fraud in the african american studies program.

Plagiarism doesn't appear to be an issue. A prof could check independently for that (including plagiarism software). How does a prof know that "part" of a term paper was written by a tutor? Unless a tutor had previously submitted similar work on their own behalf (stupid but possible) - then somebody dropped a dime.

Allegedly

[quote="iommi, post:I would think it would if someone was doing his work... ???[/quote]
If Fab was still here we know it wouldn't be him.

When I initially hears this I wasnt sure if it was plagiarism or actually having another student write the paper. Now hearing a tutor wrote part of it I don't see how James can be suspended unless he admitted to it. It's basically his word vs hers. Hopefully the appeal will work out...and soon

a portion of the paper? not even the whole thing? let the kid play!

guess he had all this hanging over his head during the providence game, that would help to explain his awful game.

When I initially hears this I wasnt sure if it was plagiarism or actually having another student write the paper. Now hearing a tutor wrote part of it I don't see how James can be suspended unless he admitted to it. It's basically his word vs hers. Hopefully the appeal will work out...and soon

Unless the tutor still has the part that she/he wrote and it's clear that James didn't change any of it. Hypothetically.

this is so annoying, like this stuff doesnt go on at every big time program.

I really wish I could read his paper. One of you connected guys needs to hook us up with a copy!

Whittington of G'town is ineligible as well until further notice.

Plagiarism doesn't appear to be an issue. A prof could check independently for that (including plagiarism software). How does a prof know that "part" of a term paper was written by a tutor? Unless a tutor had previously submitted similar work on their own behalf (stupid but possible) - then somebody dropped a dime.

Allegedly
Sounds like a jilted lover squealed.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

From my understanding he did the paper along with the tutor. He did not just have her do it then hand it in

From my understanding he did the paper along with the tutor. He did not just have her do it then hand it in
it is also believed that the NCAA was after cj and mcw as well

If he turned in a paper that contained the word 'antidisestablishmentarianism,' I would immediately assume cheating/plagiarism. :)

I'm told that it was the final paper for one of two classes required of all basketball players, "How To Spell B-O-E-H-E-I-M 2." A red flag went up when they compared it to his final from "How to Spell B-O-E-H-E-I-M 1"