Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation

Yea if this is true it's blatant cheating, and he's done. Bees or Jake, please tell me I'm wrong!

PS. That $70 thing is ridiculous to me for some reason...

PPS. But JB saying he thinks it could get resolved gives a little light at the end of the tunnel...
I expect James to pay the same price as Joe Biden

Well this news is clearly a breath of fresh air as opposedcto him actually flunking out.

I wonder if the $70 improper benefit he had to pay back was the normal rate that the tutor charges for writing other students' term papers?

Well this news is clearly a breath of fresh air as opposedcto him actually flunking out.
educate me, Marsh...I understand this is better than James flunking out, but how can this be a breath of fresh air? It's part of a larger NCAA investigation, accusations of plagiarism... this stuff is not alarming at all? Talk me off the ledge.

Possibly a tutor wrote part of his term paper

And he had to repay $70 to avoid a previous suspension
Did he spit on the Quad sidewalk as well? If it was up to Marrone he would be strung up from a tree in front of the HOL

When I initially hears this I wasnt sure if it was plagiarism or actually having another student write the paper. Now hearing a tutor wrote part of it I don't see how James can be suspended unless he admitted to it. It's basically his word vs hers. Hopefully the appeal will work out...and soon
You know how this stuff works at this school. Screw the athletes in any way possible Make it look admirable in the process. I'l never forget the Edlin kid's nightmare.

What's the point of having a tutor if they can't help you write your paper?
the tutor said "don't sweat it, James. I'll write the first few pages of your paper and you can just add a conclusion. I'll do it for $70."
James took the paper & stiffed the tutor, who then ratted him out. explains everything.

its like the secret service agent who lost his career for not paying his thirty dollar columbian hooker

a brief excerpt:

call me ishmael. it was the best of games, it was the worst of games quoth the raven. and whenevers they's fight so hungry people can eat, i'll be there. so we beat on, boats against the currents oh brave new world. cuz after all tomorrow is another day.

educate me, Marsh...I understand this is better than James flunking out, but how can this be a breath of fresh air? It's part of a larger NCAA investigation, accusations of plagiarism... this stuff is not alarming at all? Talk me off the ledge.

I meant that this at least is not the armaggeddon that we all hoped it wasnt.

maybe i got my orange glasses on but investigating whether a tutor wrote a portion of his term paper doesnt seem like something he'll get suspended the rest of the season for, and it seems like it would be hard to prove unless the tutor flat out admits it which i doubt. and a portion, meaning not the whole thing, "sorry james your tutor wrote 2 sentences of your paper, youre done."

If this is all they get on us after investigating, and most likely wanting to nail us after last seasons bad pub with the Fine thing, then I think we did very very well!!!

Sucks though I thought our penalty was that horribly called Elite 8 game.

If this is all they get on us after investigating, and most likely wanting to nail us after last seasons bad pub with the Fine thing, then I think we did very very well!!!

Sucks though I thought our penalty was that horribly called Elite 8 game.

they want to nail us bc JB allowed Eidlen and Devendorf to play after failing multiple drug tests. Throw in Fine, and JB being very out spoken = NCAA all over us

they want to nail us bc JB allowed Eidlen and Devendorf to play after failing multiple drug tests. Throw in Fine, and JB being very out spoken = NCAA all over us

I can't wait to see the big 4 or 5 conferences make the NCAA their b*tch after realignment is over.

I can't wait to see the big 4 or 5 conferences make the NCAA their b*tch after realignment is over.

I've seen this theory but I'm not buying it. How can they break away from NCAA?

I've seen this theory but I'm not buying it. How can they break away from NCAA?

They controll all the football TV money and almost all the bball teams that anyone cares about. They tell the NCAA to change this or that or they will do there own thing with sports the NCAA would have to comply because they can't lose all that revenue.

Too bad the course Southerland was taking was a valid curriculum course unlike UNC athletes. According to the NCAA , you can't be punished for cheating on a non-existent or fake course.

wouldn't the tutor be in trouble as well? JS gets in trouble with the ncaa and the school , but the tutor is also likely a student who gets in trouble.

maybe this is like "Finding Forrester" he is only in trouble for a bit..

My big fear about the NCAA crap that brewed up last year was that they might start digging, and what they might turn up if they did.

Stuff like this Southerland issue doesn't sound that serious, frankly. Especially if the tutor denies it. BUT, would it have even arisen had the NCAA not been digging?