Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland suspension due to NCAA investigation

They controll all the football TV money and almost all the bball teams that anyone cares about. They tell the NCAA to change this or that or they will do there own thing with sports the NCAA would have to comply because they can't lose all that revenue.

This only happens after the coup d'etat when the ADs and Boosters replace the Chancellors and Boards of Trustees. I think the revolution is scheduled for Tuesday at 4 p.m.

My big fear about the NCAA crap that brewed up last year was that they might start digging, and what they might turn up if they did.

Stuff like this Southerland issue doesn't sound that serious, frankly. Especially if the tutor denies it. BUT, would it have even arisen had the NCAA not been digging?

To me, it's serious if it's true. If someone else was writing a paper, or part of it (and of course that's a very vague word), for him, that's pretty bad and he should at the very least be suspended for a few games, if nothing else. That isn't to say the is is something unique to SU, and this may even be something I did while at school, but still, it's not good.

On the other hand, if the tutor denies it, it would seem to be something very difficult to prove.

Edit: wanted to get back in here to say we don't even know what is meant by did the paper. Does the teacher think James wrote the paper, and brought it to someone else for help in editing, and they changed some words, sentences, etc? To me, that is not a big deal. Did the tutor just write the paper, or parts of it, for James and he handed it in? That's not good.

It's basically a matter of whether or not the tutor confirms it, as others have said. Otherwise, there is zero proof anything happened.

That said, if Southerland did something, even if it's "having part of his paper written for him" which people are treating as a small matter, let's not get pissy about "oh the big bad NCAA has it out for us!" If Dirty did this crap, there's only one person to blame, and that's Dirty. Let's not start on all of the "oh but Kentucky gets away with stuff all the time yet the NCAA is after us" crap, either. If something is wrong in our program, it needs to be dealt with, and we need to stop acting SU is a victim over the last couple years, as far as Fab and Dirty go, and accept that those guys have screwed up. Flat out. It's their fault, not the NCAA's.

To me, it's serious if it's true. If someone else was writing a paper, or part of it (and of course that's a very vague word), for him, that's pretty bad and he should at the very least be suspended for a few games, if nothing else. That isn't to say the is is something unique to SU, and this may even be something I did while at school, but still, it's not good.

On the other hand, if the tutor denies it, it would seem to be something very difficult to prove.

Edit: wanted to get back in here to say we don't even know what is meant by did the paper. Does the teacher think James wrote the paper, and brought it to someone else for help in editing, and they changed some words, sentences, etc? To me, that is not a big deal. Did the tutor just write the paper, or parts of it, for James and he handed it in? That's not good.

The operative term being: if true.

Of course; I thought you meant that this didn't sound serious; IE even if it were true it's not that bad. If not then forget what I said.

Definitely not passing judgment here, I have no idea if it's true.

It's basically a matter of whether or not the tutor confirms it, as others have said. Otherwise, there is zero proof anything happened.

That said, if Southerland did something, even if it's "having part of his paper written for him" which people are treating as a small matter, let's not get pissy about "oh the big bad NCAA has it out for us!" If Dirty did this crap, there's only one person to blame, and that's Dirty. Let's not start on all of the "oh but Kentucky gets away with stuff all the time yet the NCAA is after us" crap, either. If something is wrong in our program, it needs to be dealt with, and we need to stop acting SU is a victim over the last couple years, as far as Fab and Dirty go, and accept that those guys have screwed up. Flat out. It's their fault, not the NCAA's.

I'm more upset that our ability to cover up these issues isn't on par with the upper echelon schools.

If found true, has there been any talk or concern of having to forfit games or vacate wins since the incident?

If found true, has there been any talk or concern of having to forfit games or vacate wins since the incident?
I believe Syracuse would have suspended Southerland as soon as they thought they had a serious issue. They didn't risk anything with Fab last year, can't see them risking games with Southerland.

Forfeit games because a player was helped, or even had someone write a paper for him??? I am glad I am not in school today, I would be doing hard time!!!!
I wouldnt have made it a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If every student came forward with what they knew academically about athletes at their universities, 98% of the Power 6 conference players would be ineligible.

How does this alleged "cheating" get to the NCAA? From the comments here it sounds like someone turned this over to the NCAA rather than dealing with it internally, is that what people think happened?

If every student came forward with what they knew academically about cheating at their universities, 50% of the student body would be on double secret probation.

It isn't just the athletes that cheat and plagiarize their papers. Fixed.

If every student came forward with what they knew academically about athletes at their universities, 98% of the Power 6 conference players would be ineligible.
Except SEC and Big 10 schools.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

so when is this term paper from? sounds like it's recent, like last semester - but that goes against what Jake was saying...

what exactly takes so long to investigate? we're not talking 1000 term papers over 20 years. It's like the NCAA wants to sit back and eat popcorn while they ship the term paper to Miami so Horatio can try to match DNA fibers to the tutor.

How does this alleged "cheating" get to the NCAA? From the comments here it sounds like someone turned this over to the NCAA rather than dealing with it internally, is that what people think happened?

No.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Since we are all speculating, maybe this came from Melo's investigation and JS had the same tutor. Something that they know or thought Melo didn't do also showed up in James's paper so the tutor must have done it.

what exactly takes so long to investigate? we're not talking 1000 term papers over 20 years. It's like the NCAA wants to sit back and eat popcorn while they ship the term paper to Miami so Horatio can try to match DNA fibers to the tutor.

I know this for fact from previous issues. Sometimes it isn't the NCAA. SOmetimes it is the school and/or the process they have to go through. May take the NCAA some time to look at something, then they tell the school, "here's the issue, convince us why it isn't an issue" and the school takes weeks or months to try and straighten it out and present a case to the NCAA. The ball isn't always in the NCAA's hands.

We're screwed, I'm just gonna tell myself that. 2003 was the peak, something will happen to stop us every time from ever grasping that feeling again.