Spitt on Pitt Postgame... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Spitt on Pitt Postgame...

Football is cyclical… teams built themselves to be fast and throw the ball all over the yard. So defenses then built themselves to defend that.

Eventually somebody’s going to build a monster power squad that can bulldoze everyone and the next trend will begin.
Yeah it's called Georgia, lol
Followed by Michigan

You missed my point. You’re responding about why we should run a scheme. I’m responding about the idea players aren’t going to just flock here b/c we’re running a particular scheme.
I think offensive linemen strongly prefer run blocking over pass blocking, so I respectfully disagree about your comparison of QBs and WRs.

I think offensive linemen strongly prefer run blocking over pass blocking, so I respectfully disagree about your comparison of QBs and WRs.

So are Oline recruits flocking to the service academies as you’ve said, like they would here if we instituted a power running scheme?

And QB’s and WR’s don’t like a passing system?

I had to record the second half and just got done watching it. Kudos to Shrader, Villari and Allen and the rest of the offense who blocked for them. Didn't expect to be able to dominate a game at this level with literally no threat of a passing game. But heck of a game plan and great job executing it,

So are Oline recruits flocking to the service academies as you’ve said, like they would here if we instituted a power running scheme?

Of course not, if anything they are undersized which is why they run the triple option in the first place. I do think we could build an identity around this though, possible a sustainable one. And can build from the line of scrimmage up. We could also focus on recruiting running QBs and entice RBs with it.

I didn’t mean to say we would bring in B10 type of linemen automatically, but eventually with enough success yes I think that could start to happen.

If Davis is so great Bill then why wasn’t he on the field at QB instead of our starting tailback, a TE who hasn’t thrown a ball in ages and our starting QB who can’t throw a ball more than 5 yards due to injury?

No offense, but his HS laurels look nice on paper but they’re completely irrelevant now based on what we just watched. That tells you all you need to know.
tepk...My opinion: First of all he's a true freshman - second, IMO, they don't want him hurt - third he's a neophyte at this level, forth they wanted to play those players in the positions you mentioned. They, the coaches, had our best out there. Davis hasn't touched the field all year and there are reasons for that.

His resume has nothing to do with playing time. I included it for a reason, recruiting.

A lot of people on this board think we can't recruit. He's got a great resume coming in. How many freshman get to play with positions already filled - he's got to learn the system and mature. Maybe they think he's just not ready. MacPhail was warming up the last game getting ready to come in if I remember right.

I don't know why they don't have him on the field.

Last edited:
You know this how? As has been asked in other posts. We don’t know who designed the game plan.
That's what coaches do qdawgg. Who the hell do you think did, Dino and Becks wives, or was it the janitor? I am not trying to be abrasive but c'mon.

Georgia Tech ran the triple option for 11 years.

During those 11 years, 1 offensive lineman was drafted.

It’s nonsense

Georgia Tech ran the triple option for 11 years.

During those 11 years, 1 offensive lineman was drafted.

It’s nonsense
But how many bowl games did they make?

Of course not, if anything they are undersized which is why they run the triple option in the first place. I do think we could build an identity around this though, possible a sustainable one. And can build from the line of scrimmage up. We could also focus on recruiting running QBs and entice RBs with it.

I didn’t mean to say we would bring in B10 type of linemen automatically, but eventually with enough success yes I think that could start to happen.

But we didn’t bring in recruits running a high octane offense and athletes who would love to run in that type of system. So what’s the drastic change that convinces Oline to come to SU when the previous system couldn’t convince players to come who would thrive in that system?

That's what coaches do qdawgg. Who the hell do you think did, Dino and Becks wives, or was it the janitor? I am not trying to be abrasive but c'mon.

Try reading the whole thread to understand the context of my post. I mean c’mon, did you really miss the whole context? Good lord.

A bunch. But that wasn’t your thesis. You’re moving goalposts. You said our OL recruiting would improve, it didn’t help them.

Exactly. Players need to be coached up and the right players to coach up have to be recruited in the first place.

Try reading the whole thread to understand the context of my post. I mean c’mon, did you really miss the whole context? Good lord.
I did read the entire thread and I have completed my conversation with you. You seem somewhat negative and much more informed than I. ;)

But we didn’t bring in recruits running a high octane offense and athletes who would love to run in that type of system. So what’s the drastic change that convinces Oline to come to SU when the previous system couldn’t convince players to come who would thrive in that system?
Again I think the constant run blocking is a big appeal, enough to help with recruiting linemen. I think it’s a much different role than a QB or WR, that’s why I’m not agreeing with your comparison.

I did read the entire thread and I have completed my conversation with you. You seem somewhat negative and much more informed than I. ;)

I’m not informed at all and clearly you’re missing my whole point of my post. And that’s fine. Have a great night.

tepk...My opinion: First of all he's a true freshman - second, IMO, they don't want him hurt - third he's a neophyte at this level, forth they wanted to play those players in the positions you mentioned. They, the coaches, had our best out there. Davis hasn't touched the field all year and there are reasons for that.

His resume has nothing to do with playing time. I included it for a reason recruiting.

A lot of people on this board think we can't recruit. He's got a great resume coming in. How many freshman get to play with positions already filled - he's got to learn the system and mature. Maybe they think he's just not ready. MacPhail was warming up the last game getting ready to come in if I remember right.

I don't know why they don't have him on the field.
He’s not a true freshman. He redshirted at South Carolina where he never progressed past 4th on their depth chart and was dropped to 5th after LaNorris Sellers enrolled there, and then he transferred here. We didn’t land him out of high school.

And he spent 2 springs at South Carolina because he early enrolled there in 2022.

Last edited:
Dan Villari won’t be out QB next season and we’re not running a triple option. What the hell is going on in here today?
We won a game against the worst team in the ACC that some highschool teams could beat, and now Dino is Syracuse's saving grace because he ran some trick plays and weird formations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom