Sporting News Says Exit Fee Vote Tomorrow | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sporting News Says Exit Fee Vote Tomorrow

I think people forget how good the majority of Syracuse's non-football/basketball teams are. FH, XC, VB, Softball

big alumni base

Huge alumni base. Apparently the largest in the city...but that could be propaganda from a Penn State alum coworker.

This picture pretty much tells you all you need to know about where the BE is heading.
55547-330-0.jpg

Probably a dumb question but since SU and Pitt are being held captive as active members, shouldn't they still get a vote?

If anybody is blameless in this whole mess its the basketball schools.

They -- along with UConn and SU --- formed a great Eastern, urban, Monday-night playing basketball Conference.

They acquiesced to adding football school after football school without so much as a whimper. Now the football appears to be falling apart.

How is any of this Georgetown's fault? (And I loathe Georgetown)

The basketball schools don't deserve to get screwed on this any more than they will be by losing rivals like SU and Pitt.

It sure wasn't the BB schools that upped the buy-out penalty. But they had to live with it.
They weren't building stadiums or stadium expansions betting "on the come" that things could only get better. They've been pretty much minding their own business and going along with what the FB schools insisted they had to have.

If they get the $40M, I'd say they deserved it for putting up with all this FB insanity.

No doubt...

The only problem is your fantasyland theory assumes that basketball actually makes the money...

Football makes the real money - always has, always will.

It's why we have football in the league... period... And it's become fairly obvious that the Prafia consider it a necessary evil to line the coffures... in their perfect world, the Big East would have no football.

So... if they effectively succeed in dismantling the football portion of the conference, you know how much football money the basketball schools should get?

I'm sure they'll engage their Manhattan law firm to try and recoup that $40 mill... but good luck with that.

They'll be left with the parochial basketball conference of A10 size, calibur and MEDIA MARKETING VALUE.

I highlight that, because in that scenario, some of the B-Ball schools now playing in pro arenas better get ready for migrating back to the field house.

Without the football clout, the league goes second tier immediately.

No doubt...

The only problem is your fantasyland theory assumes that basketball actually makes the money...

Football makes the real money - always has, always will.

It's why we have football in the league... period... And it's become fairly obvious that the Prafia consider it a necessary evil to line the coffures... in their perfect world, the Big East would have no football.

So... if they effectively succeed in dismantling the football portion of the conference, you know how much football money the basketball schools should get?

I'm sure they'll engage their Manhattan law firm to try and recoup that $40 mill... but good luck with that.

They'll be left with the parochial basketball conference of A10 size, calibur and MEDIA MARKETING VALUE.

I highlight that, because in that scenario, some of the B-Ball schools now playing in pro arenas better get ready for migrating back to the field house.

Without the football clout, the league goes second tier immediately.

Two questions:

How much football money do the BB schools get today? I thought they didn't share in the FB TV money?

And, were you around in the 1980's? The Big East was a pretty big deal then and they might be able to re-kindle that. It certainly wasn't second tier then and the only DI FB schools in it were SU and Pitt.
I wouldn't write off a BB Conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St Johns and maybe Xavier plus some others. I bet the would get a pretty good contract and a lot of exposure.

Although football makes a lot of money, its extremely expensive. An AD once told me that you can have a basketball program for the same amount that the football program spends on J&J tape.

It's not revenue ... it's profit that matters.

Two questions:

How much football money do the BB schools get today? I thought they didn't share in the FB TV money?

And, were you around in the 1980's? The Big East was a pretty big deal then and they might be able to re-kindle that. It certainly wasn't second tier then and the only DI FB schools in it were SU and Pitt.
I wouldn't write off a BB Conference with Georgetown, Villanova, St Johns and maybe Xavier plus some others. I bet the would get a pretty good contract and a lot of exposure.

Although football makes a lot of money, its extremely expensive. An AD once told me that you can have a basketball program for the same amount that the football program spends on J&J tape.

They get about $3m a year.

This picture pretty much tells you all you need to know about where the BE is heading.
55547-330-0.jpg

Probably a dumb question but since SU and Pitt are being held captive as active members, shouldn't they still get a vote?

Yes. Which means that there are still 16 memmbers which means they have to get 12 of 16 votes to increase the exit fee. SU, Pitt, WVU and Ville all say no/abstain. Then you just have to have one of ND, UConn, Cincy, USF or The Girls say no or abstain for the measure to fail. I can't imagine UConn and Cincy voting yes. I would also love to know what the quorum requirements are for these meetings. If enough members fail to show they may not even be able to get a quorum for this vote.

Two questions:

Exactly... but it's not the 1980's anymore.

Now, when power conferences negotiate big primetime TV contracts with ESPN and the networks, who is going to get the best time slots, coverage and $$$?

The conference that comes to the plate and negotiates both football and basketball rights together for major teams for big $$$ or the conference that negotiates their regional, parochial mid-major basketball-only conference?

Look at the A10, and you have the answer.

The landscape has drastically changed since the 80's - the conference economics in play then aren't even remotely applicable by today's standards.

Football runs the show in every other major conference (except the big east), because that is what today's economics dictate.

The league has no one to blame but themselves and the league management for developing a conference model destined for failure.

This day of reckoning didn't come out of nowhere... The writing was on the wall when they raided Conference USA and set-up the unwieldy F-Ball/Basketball split after the last re-alignment go-around...

The Big East had 3 times when they could have been agressive and secured the long-term health of the conference: first in the early 80s (Penn State), then in the late 80s/early 90s (as all the football indies found homes) and last in the late 90s/early 00s (hoops down, Miami & VaTech title contenders).

Each time they either stood pat or took half-measures. All sides were complicit, football schools, hoops schools and league leadership.

Yes. Which means that there are still 16 memmbers which means they have to get 12 of 16 votes to increase the exit fee. SU, Pitt, WVU and Ville all say no/abstain. Then you just have to have one of ND, UConn, Cincy, USF or The Girls say no or abstain for the measure to fail. I can't imagine UConn and Cincy voting yes. I would also love to know what the quorum requirements are for these meetings. If enough members fail to show they may not even be able to get a quorum for this vote.

Or SU and Pitt could potentially vote yes to hamstring the other teams moving forward if they felt so inclined. Or if the new exit fee is a figure they deem worth paying but got them out before 27 months it may be in their (su and pitt) best interest to vote with the hoopers if the new rule would positively affect them moving forward as well.

...presumably we have vote...we should vote no...get this over with...i fully expect that WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Uconn and Rutgirls vote NO...ND may vote yes...

Dick Weiss (New York Daily News) is reporting that they are still scheduled to meet later today to vote