Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

I'm wondering if it is mainly because they don't want to post depth charts as to reduce the likelihood of some more players hitting the portal when they know where they stand currently.

It is ridiculous that they are releasing zero information. At least give us a friggin roster with new numbers and measurables. A few 20 second highlight clips doesn't cut it. Sure there will not be many fans interested in going to a spring game but some will. Its one piece that contributes to getting die hard fans. I went to spring games with my Dad when i was younger and it certainly contributed to me being a die hard now.
Players know where they stand, they’ve been apart of team sports before

Players know where they stand, they’ve been apart of team sports before
I agree mostly but its much clearer when you see it written in black and white. Uually there is a pre-spring depth chart and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought releasing that could effect some guys negatively and have them leave. Delaying it and seeing how spring practice goes may keep them around a bit longer. I'm not saying that is definitely the reason but something i've wondered if it was a factor in this decision. Its a different situation this year with the transfer portal situation.

At this point release the depth chart after spring practice. Player evaluations are still going on I am sure and keep everyone hungry.

I agree mostly but its much clearer when you see it written in black and white. Uually there is a pre-spring depth chart and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought releasing that could effect some guys negatively and have them leave. Delaying it and seeing how spring practice goes may keep them around a bit longer. I'm not saying that is definitely the reason but something i've wondered if it was a factor in this decision. Its a different situation this year with the transfer portal situation.

There are 5 practices left. That much I know for sure.

Agree, another scrimmage is likely on Saturday.

That last scrimmage the following Saturday, on May 1st, is what would ordinarily be our spring game.

Which is apparently not going to happen. Maybe there is a meeting going on somewhere deep in the bowels of MFH with the key movers and shakers from SUAD. And they are discussing whether to have a spring game.

"The fans don't care. No one is complaining'.

Not true.

I know SUAD is understaffed and putting on a spring game is a lot of work. But it shouldn't be much more than hosting a lacrosse game, and we are apparently very capable of doing that.

It would be nice to have an autograph/photo op session afterwards for the kids. It would be nice to have a bounce house set up on the Quad and a live band playing there too.

It would be nice to have rosters and a depth chart.

It would be nice to have a real spring game, with teams drafted by the captains, where both teams play to win and we see Devito vs Shrader going head to head.

We can live without all of that. I would be thrilled to attend the last practice of the spring, where they do 15 minutes of scrimmaging and a lot of drills.

Please throw the fan base a bone and give us a stripped down practice to watch. We have been waiting since November of 2019 to watch our team play. Please don't make us wait until September of 2021 to see them again.
Aren't there normally 15 total practices? Coach Samuel tweeted this morning, very early this morning, they were at practice #11.

Last edited:
I know it’s a running joke here but I don’t think its paranoia. He is not trying to get tactical advantages against his opponents. I think he is taking advantage of the COVID restrictions. Keeping his team focus and away from media. But he is going to far with it. He doesn’t have to be this tight. Interviews and video clips doesn’t hurt the team.
I think the covid restrictions have made this lack of info common with teams. Down here in NC I have seen/heard next to nothing about Wake, NC St, or Duke spring football.

Aren't there normally 15 total practices? Coach Samuel tweeted this morning, very early this morning, they were at practice #11.
Yes. 15 is the NCAA maximum.

Sterlin said last night there were 5 left.

I am guessing practice 11 was held or is about to be held today and that Coach Samuel was putting it in the books early.

If people care, they should contact the AD. If he/they don't hear anything from anyone, you can argue that he'd be right to assume no one cares.
Get me their address (email or otherwise), and I will gladly do so. Not sure who exactly to direct such a message to

I know it’s a running joke here but I don’t think its paranoia. He is not trying to get tactical advantages against his opponents. I think he is taking advantage of the COVID restrictions. Keeping his team focus and away from media. But he is going to far with it. He doesn’t have to be this tight. Interviews and video clips doesn’t hurt the team.

whatever his reasoning it's stupid.

I've watched a number of spring games the last couple of weeks.

I think the covid restrictions have made this lack of info common with teams. Down here in NC I have seen/heard next to nothing about Wake, NC St, or Duke spring football.

NC State had a spring game and it was on TV

How about another press conference at least? Is 2 asking too much?

Coaching staff has too much power here. They serve the community. Without fan interest or service their product goes out the window. The team is here to benefit school and community. Not themselves. Time to open up a bit

In Nebraska which is football crazy they have open practices on occasion and televised spring game. Have all sorts of features and interviews with players. Really gets the fan base excited and amped up for the season. Would think SU being the premier broadcasting school would use its platform and talent to do the same. Understand winning brings fans but so does marketing, human interest in the players and team. Very disappointing IMO

But a lot of teams are still having a spring game. Here in Knoxville, it's this saturday with free general admission.

I’d love a spring game, news, press conferences anything...

but I think we overvalue these things in relation to most fans.

most fans or most Syracuse fans?

It’s ridiculous that they haven’t at least put out a spring roster.

They release these 30 second videos and the hardcore fans on here are guessing who is who and what number. It’s ridiculous.

...We can live without all of that. I would be thrilled to attend the last practice of the spring, where they do 15 minutes of scrimmaging and a lot of drills.

Please throw the fan base a bone and give us a stripped down practice to watch. We have been waiting since November of 2019 to watch our team play. Please don't make us wait until September of 2021 to see them again.
Yes, but if I'm going to drive over two hours to Syracuse for a spring game I want more than 15 minutes!

How about another press conference at least? Is 2 asking too much?

Coaching staff has too much power here. They serve the community. Without fan interest or service their product goes out the window. The team is here to benefit school and community. Not themselves. Time to open up a bit

This strategy has the blessing of the AD. If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be in this blackout.

Too much is being made of this, there is nobody who would appreciate info and a spring game more than me, but if this what Babers thinks he needs to do to rebaseline this very red program, that’s his call, it’s his job on the line.

Its results that matter, not keeping the ten people who really care about this stuff happy.

We know who the two qbs are, and don’t expect a starter to be named until kickoff in Ohio. 4 of 5 ol starters are pretty locked in, some positions are tbd, we know two of the three wr’s, the starting te and fb, and the top three tb’s. Questions are who is the 5th ol, wr 3 through 6, and 2nd te.

On defense the starting dL and lbs are set, and Williams is a lock at corner. The secondary is pretty fluid, but that’s sorting positions as much as starters. With the defense the first 22 are all going to play a lot.

This strategy has the blessing of the AD. If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be in this blackout.
Bingo. I said this is another forum and people got upset. Dino is allowed to do it. Why would he change his strategy if he thinks it helps his team?

Look. I am not asking to see a full practice. I am not even asking for a depth chart.

I am asking for more face time with media. I am asking for maybe 15 minutes of practice time each practice. This is not asking for much. If Dino thinks he can't even allow that much exposure, then he's flat out not a good coach and should find something else to do

We've been through this song and dance before ...most Spring practices under Dino. Has secrecy ever helped him to at least achieve a bowl game? Absolutely not. There's no reason for this much lock down. None.

As has been said ad nauseum...most teams are doing much more ...Covid or no Covid

Bingo. I said this is another forum and people got upset. Dino is allowed to do it. Why would he change his strategy if he thinks it helps his team?
how could he think it possibly helps the team when we're 6-17 the last 2 seasons?
WHAT Schmidt's talking to the media???! Now we're going to be 9 and 26!!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom