Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

Again, you could see Tommy begin to put it all together and play with more freedom ..and it all started to coalesce in the game that he injured his foot.

I remember watching him, saying to myself "now he's getting it." A few plays later he was out for the rest of the season. And I said to myself, "Seems about right. Because Syracuse."
We must have been watching different games.

DeVito will look like a completely different player if Cuse can be a threat to run and he doesn't have to worry about a season ending injury everytime he drops back.

I understand the criticism of him but my god he hasn't been put in a position to succeed since his freshman year.

I have a hard time putting a lot of stock in Bailey’s information. Information has been very tightly held. I’d be surprised if players are now giving Bailey all this inside information. Even Mike Mc who has always had great information is not putting out these details. Time will tell.

unlike a random poster saying they have it on good authority it’s not Tommy.

(and that’s not a shot at the poster)

Tommy needs to feel pressure better, make quicker reads. The team needs to put him in a position to use his skills. Oline is obvious. WR play needs to improve. Play calling needs to dramatically improve.

We all know Morgan is going to be the starter by end of fall camp
I like Morgan. I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up as the starter by game 6-7

… towards JGIII being the starting QB, of course.

200.gif

unlike a random poster saying they have it on good authority it’s not Tommy.

(and that’s not a shot at the poster)
Did not say I put any stock in that post either. My comment was that there has almost been no information out there and even reporters like McAllister who usually has a lot of information has been relatively silent. That is why I’m not buying either take. That would be no different then any of us indicating who we think is going to start based on almost no information other than past performance. I like everyone else will learn the starter when offense takes the field the first game.
now the other question is who will be the starter for a majority of the season. My hope is that it will be the player that can win games regardless who is behind center. We will all see that first hand during the season.

Did not say I put any stock in that post either. My comment was that there has almost been no information out there and even reporters like McAllister who usually has a lot of information has been relatively silent. That is why I’m not buying either take. That would be no different then any of us indicating who we think is going to start based on almost no information other than past performance. I like everyone else will learn the starter when offense takes the field the first game.
now the other question is who will be the starter for a majority of the season. My hope is that it will be the player that can win games regardless who is behind center. We will all see that first hand during the season.

i thought liking the post meant something.

Tommy D.'s problems have nothing to to with arm strength and mechanics.
He's like a "thrower" who is not quite a pitcher.
Up until now...
He hasn't learned to get to his 2nd and 3rd when the 1st option isn't open.
He hasn't learned to extend plays with his feet.
He hasn't learned to look downfield when he's flushed from the pocket.
Hopefully he has improved in these areas. IF so the offense WILL be heck on wheels.
If not, we will see Captain or Shredder by game 3. Dino can't wait.

Tommy D.'s problems have nothing to to with arm strength and mechanics.
He's like a "thrower" who is not quite a pitcher.
Up until now...
He hasn't learned to get to his 2nd and 3rd when the 1st option isn't open.
He hasn't learned to extend plays with his feet.
He hasn't learned to look downfield when he's flushed from the pocket.
Hopefully he has improved in these areas. IF so the offense WILL be heck on wheels.
If not, we will see Captain or Shredder by game 3. Dino can't wait.

You're certainly not wrong but all 3 points you've made are on the oline to rectify. He hasn't had time to go through multiple reads. He's not adept at extending plays with his feet beyond the first defender... But there's usually one or two more right there as soon as he's flushed so how could he look down field? Lot of Dungey's big gainers he'd Houdini the pocket, shake the 2nd guy, and THEN throw down field or run for 10+ yards. Dungey was the exception though and not the norm. A QB shouldn't be expected to shake for than 1 defender every play.

Tommy isn't the only QB that got demolished last year after all.

You're certainly not wrong but all 3 points you've made are on the oline to rectify. He hasn't had time to go through multiple reads. He's not adept at extending plays with his feet beyond the first defender... But there's usually one or two more right there as soon as he's flushed so how could he look down field? Lot of Dungey's big gainers he'd Houdini the pocket, shake the 2nd guy, and THEN throw down field or run for 10+ yards. Dungey was the exception though and not the norm. A QB shouldn't be expected to shake for than 1 defender every play.

A lot of that is true, but sometimes the ball was just held too long when there were guys that were open. We saw how some of the other QBs were better at getting rid of the ball. They just didn't have the arm talent to get it where it was supposed to go. There has been plenty of blame to share.

We addressed the OL pretty aggressively over the course of the past year between recruiting, transfers and Bleich now being eligible.

I’m expecting marked improvement from that group.

The offense should follow.

There are no QB’s being named the starter right now. You need to work through Fall camp with your entire roster. Furthermore, why would you want to cap the competition with so much time and practice to go? We don’t even know what transfers await at this point, both exiting and incoming.

We know to a relative degree of certainty what we’re going to get from TD. GS is the wild card. He possesses something TD could use in scrambling ability and creativity but lacks in other areas where TD has strengths. Let’s see who develops over the next four months and leads us out of the tunnel in Sept.

No matter who, I’m expecting a drastic increase in productivity from the offense.

A lot of that is true, but sometimes the ball was just held too long when there were guys that were open. We saw how some of the other QBs were better at getting rid of the ball. They just didn't have the arm talent to get it where it was supposed to go. There has been plenty of blame to share.

True but can you blame the man if he's she'll shocked? Last year brought back memories of Andrew Robinson. I'm hoping with Tommy's mental make up and pedigree of high school program he can avoid that.

If he can switch from expecting pressure every play to being able to expect a pocket think the world opens up for him. We need safeties more than 8-10 yards off the line and having to look anywhere but in the backfield.

Fwiw, I'd still run a series or 2 of GS each half regardless to save some wear on TD and give defenses more to think about as we've been way too predictable.

True but can you blame the man if he's she'll shocked? Last year brought back memories of Andrew Robinson. I'm hoping with Tommy's mental make up and pedigree of high school program he can avoid that.

If he can switch from expecting pressure every play to being able to expect a pocket think the world opens up for him. We need safeties more than 8-10 yards off the line and having to look anywhere but in the backfield.

Fwiw, I'd still run a series or 2 of GS each half regardless to save some wear on TD and give defenses more to think about as we've been way too predictable.
I can blame him when I see other QBs make better decisions under the same circumstances. In 2019 when Welch came in the offense looked different. We just couldn't take advantage of it because he threw so many turf burners.

He's the same QB that came in for an injured ED in the ND game. I was hoping for the QB we saw against UNC but that version hasn't been seen since.

TD has a lot to prove. IMO, his issues are mental and instinctual. Obviously he has great mechanics but that doesn't make a QB. It might look great in 7 vs 7, practice drills and QB training camps but what happens when the lights come on is what matters.

He rarely makes the correct read at the LOS which leads to forced throws rather than taking what the defense gives him. I know, I know the OL wasn't good last season but TD exacerbated the situation. He could make life so much easier for himself if he simply made the easy/quick throws (think Morgan's dinks and dunks) instead of always looking for the big play.

His pocket presence and situational awareness (down and distance) need a ton of work. I'm worried that pocket presence i.e. "feel" is more instinctual and difficult for a QB to grasp if he wasn't born with it.

Situational awareness absolutely can be taught. As I mentioned above, get the call right at the LOS rather than having his mind made up before the snap. Understand down and distance and execute, improvise...do whatever it takes to move the chains. Your head isn't in the game when you throw the ball out of bounds (multiple times) on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. It screams "padding stats" rather than being a leader.

Hopefully the QB that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against UNC a few seasons ago reemerges. If he doesn't, I have confidence that our jorts wearing transfer will perform very well.

Either way, I honestly believe we'll be bowling this season.

I think we're almost definitely going to see Jorts get snaps here and there if he doesn't bounce DeVito from the starting spot.

Similarly, if Jorts wins the job I think we'll see DeVito play still.

Just kinda feels like a 2QB season.

Its not just pocket collapsing that's causing his problems. If it was just that the staff wouldn't have brought in a transfer QB. Dude has a cannon but there are some things that are just off. He misses on quick pass game ( when the play is designed to be thrown before the rush gets to him). He makes bad reads on run and rpo's. The RPO's are important because its relying on the QB to put the offense in the right play during post snap.

Last edited:
If tommy is the starter he will be given 3 games max to prove himself. I dont see Dino hesitating to pull anyone who isnt performing.

Its not just pocket collapsing that causing his problems. If it was just that the staff wouldn't have brought in a transfer QB. Dude has a cannon but there are some things that are just off. He misses on quick pass game ( when the play is designed to be thrown before the rush gets to him). He makes bad reads on run and rpo's. The RPO's are important because its relying on the QB to put the offense in the right play during post snap.

The RPO reads are my personal pet peave as well.

Reads at LOS and in play need work in general BUT I've never played QB nor taken a beating in games like that. Most humans have a self preservation instinct hard wired and I've no idea what he's looking at or being coached to look at at LOS.

We got spoiled with Dungey who A) had 0 self preservation instinct and B) potentially isn't human based on some things he pulled off. Re-watched a bunch of 2018 games a month back and... Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom