Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

The RPO reads are my personal pet peave as well.

Reads at LOS and in play need work in general BUT I've never played QB nor taken a beating in games like that. Most humans have a self preservation instinct hard wired and I've no idea what he's looking at or being coached to look at at LOS.

We got spoiled with Dungey who A) had 0 self preservation instinct and B) potentially isn't human based on some things he pulled off. Re-watched a bunch of 2018 games a month back and... Wow.
Yeah I dont judge him on deep pass game. The line was too poor and he doesn't have the time to read intermediate to deep passes on a consistent basis. I judge his quick game and quick decision skills. That has nothing to do with him getting beat up. A QB with his experiences shouldn't be making poor decisions on base plays like that. On RPO's he is reading one specific defender. Its not hard stuff. We do it at the HS level. Cuse run a lot of read routes. The QB has to have enough intelligence to make a decision based on what he sees the defense do and how the Wr runs his route. The mental part needs to improve or having a strong arm means nothing. We all just hope TD figures it out.

Last edited:
He's the same QB that came in for an injured ED in the ND game. I was hoping for the QB we saw against UNC but that version hasn't been seen since.

TD has a lot to prove. IMO, his issues are mental and instinctual. Obviously he has great mechanics but that doesn't make a QB. It might look great in 7 vs 7, practice drills and QB training camps but what happens when the lights come on is what matters.

He rarely makes the correct read at the LOS which leads to forced throws rather than taking what the defense gives him. I know, I know the OL wasn't good last season but TD exacerbated the situation. He could make life so much easier for himself if he simply made the easy/quick throws (think Morgan's dinks and dunks) instead of always looking for the big play.

His pocket presence and situational awareness (down and distance) need a ton of work. I'm worried that pocket presence i.e. "feel" is more instinctual and difficult for a QB to grasp if he wasn't born with it.

Situational awareness absolutely can be taught. As I mentioned above, get the call right at the LOS rather than having his mind made up before the snap. Understand down and distance and execute, improvise...do whatever it takes to move the chains. Your head isn't in the game when you throw the ball out of bounds (multiple times) on 4th down late in the 4th quarter. It screams "padding stats" rather than being a leader.

Hopefully the QB that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against UNC a few seasons ago reemerges. If he doesn't, I have confidence that our jorts wearing transfer will perform very well.

Either way, I honestly believe we'll be bowling this season.

Think we'll going bowling as well and the oline will play well enough for us to see if/where there are holes or strengths in our other offensive skill groups.

Yeah I dont judge him on deep pass game. The line was too poor and he doesn't have the time read intermediate to deep passes on a consistent basis. I judge his quick game and quick decision skills. That has nothing to do with him getting beat up. A QB with his experiences shouldn't be making poor decisions on base plays like that. On RPO's he is reading one specific defender. Its not hard stuff. We do it at the HS level. Cuse run a lot of read routes. The QB has to have enough intelligence to make a decision based on what he sees the defense do and how the Wr runs his route. The mental part needs to improve or having a strong arm means nothing. We all just hope TD figures it out.

Option reads I know albeit from the defensive side of the ball. Getting those wrong certainly gives me pause as to ceiling for level of field vision and game feel... but will try to stay optimistic as always.

Offense will get better this season (by default, cannot get any worse), it's just by which level of magnitude it get's better. Slightly won't cut it for anyone's sake with a vested interest in the program.

Option reads I know albeit from the defensive side of the ball. Getting those wrong certainly gives me pause as to ceiling for level of field vision and game feel... but will try to stay optimistic as always.

Offense will get better this season (by default, cannot get any worse), it's just by which level of magnitude it get's better. Slightly won't cut it for anyone's sake with a vested interest in the program.
I appreciate your optimism and I agree, it will be better. We just don't know how much.

Its not just pocket collapsing that's causing his problems. If it was just that the staff wouldn't have brought in a transfer QB. Dude has a cannon but there are some things that are just off. He misses on quick pass game ( when the play is designed to be thrown before the rush gets to him). He makes bad reads on run and rpo's. The RPO's are important because its relying on the QB to put the offense in the right play during post snap.
So agree in every way.

Graduated and still has 3 years of football eligibility. Crazy. Hopefully we can get him to stay for 2 years. 3 seems pretty unlikely.
Anybody know his major?
The roster has it listed as Communication and rhetorical studies major

You can tell the difference?
Well he was 282 in 2019. He looked just as thin or thinner last year. Or maybe he looked thinner because of the number change and his improved quickness and agility.

Just throw him the damn ball already.
I think that is part of the problem it seems he wants every pass throws to him or he has attitude. A true captain wants to play well but also all his teammates to excel. The ball needs to be spread around for the team to be successful.
That’s one of the reasons I worry about TD is that he tends to focus on one receiver. That needs to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom