Spring Football starts March 30 | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Football starts March 30

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I have it on good authority that its looking like Schrader will be the starter with Devito 2nd string.
If that's true, it means he blew them away this spring, which is a good thing, as I doubt TD got worse.
This is interesting because it’s pretty much the opposite of what Bailey just reported. He said the “gap was wide” in terms of Devito’s accuracy and arm strength vs. GS. He even said he was told that GS struggled handling snaps

Listen to the first 10 minutes of this mornings locked on podcast

Last edited:
Even if Shrader came out ahead this Spring, it will be competitive into late Summer. I could see the starter being named 3 weeks into August camp. But whoever is number 2 is probably going to see playing time based on past history (hopefully not). This team has used 3 and even 4 QB's in past years. We need everyone.

If Shrader is #1, awesome. But Tommy is still going to have every opportunity to see the field. He knows the offense and was growing in the offense up until the time of his injury last year. No time to just pack it up. It would be foolish

And like 690West just said, Tommy might still be our #1

Even if Shrader came out ahead this Spring, it will be competitive into late Summer. I could see the starter being named 3 weeks into August camp. But whoever is number 2 is probably going to see playing time based on past history (hopefully not). This team has used 3 and even 4 QB's in past years. We need everyone.

If Shrader is #1, awesome. But Tommy is still going to have every opportunity to see the field. He knows the offense and was growing in the offense up until the time of his injury last year. No time to just pack it up. It would be foolish

And like 690West just said, Tommy might still be our #1

I’ll echo the hesitancy to make any judgements during/after spring practice.

That said an opportunity for GS to earn snaps may be in his ability to improvise and extend plays.

There’s very few players in college football that are going to beat Tommy on accuracy and arm strength. But as you see, those alone don’t make a successful flowing offense.

I’m giddy to see the reports/news and tid bits following summer camp and workouts.

That said an opportunity for GS to earn snaps may be in his ability to improvise and extend plays.

There’s very few players in college football that are going to beat Tommy on accuracy and arm strength. But as you see, those alone don’t make a successful flowing offense.

I’m giddy to see the reports/news and tid bits following summer camp and workouts.
if we are running with td we need our offense to throw short stuff for quick gains, use the hashes for middle stuff and hopefully run game improves and long ball will be there for the taking.

This is interesting because it’s pretty much the opposite of what Bailey just reported. He said the “gap was wide” in terms of devito’s accuracy and arm strength vs. GS. He even said he was told that GS struggled handling snaps

I didn't listen to it, was he just commenting on the throwing stuff? If he was, I don't know jow much stock to put in it with regards to who wins thw job. We all know TD is elite with passing. If GS wins the job it'll be because of the other things he can do with the knowledge that we're giving up a little with arm talent.

I didn't listen to it, was he just commenting on the throwing stuff? If he was, I don't know jow much stock to put in it with regards to who wins thw job. We all know TD is elite with passing. If GS wins the job it'll be because of the other things he can do with the knowledge that we're giving up a little with arm talent.
That’s exactly what he said. He said GS showed flashes of being a good runner but TD dominated the passing.

Operating from a pretty much total vacuum, I think the staff is likely planning to use both, and go with the one who fits best situationally game by game, minute by minute, or is just getting better results.

The two QBs have very different skill sets, and give us very different looks.

Given our complete failure on the offensive side the past 2 years, it could be a big advantage for us to completely change gears on offense several times a game.

Remember those quotes from anonymous ACC schools about how predictable and easy to defend Syracuse has become? I think that changes this season.

Is it a situation where if Shrader is #1 right now that Dino goes all in and tells Tommy so he has time to transfer?

I know it’s not likely because we’ll probably need both of them this year at some point. Tommy seems like a good guy and teammate but if he’s not the starter would he want to go start for Kent St or something?
TD is a very good student. There's a good chance he graduates later this month. If he's unhappy, he can enter the portal as a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility.

Tommy’s accuracy is overstated or at least it’s hard to judge because he never had a pocket to throw from and outside the pocket he had no accuracy.

Yes he had the no int streak, but he also avoided tight throws.

Thats been my thinking, all along. Perhaps we're wrong.
He looks like a guard to me too, but he says he was told by Coach Schmidt he is being recruited as a RT. It is good to see some depth, regardless of where some of the newbies end up.

Operating from a pretty much total vacuum, I think the staff is likely planning to use both, and go with the one who fits best situationally game by game, minute by minute, or is just getting better results.

Given our complete failure on the offensive side the past 2 years, it could be a big advantage for us to completely change gears on offense several times a game.

Remember those quotes from anonymous ACC schools about how predictable and easy to defend Syracuse has become? I think that changes this season.
Tommy has always looked good in practice. Its in real action that he struggles. Hopefully the line has improved enough so that his arm talent can shine. If not Shred will get the nod

Tommy has always looked good in practice. Its in real action that he struggles. Hopefully the line has improved enough so that his arm talent can shine. If not Shred will get the nod
He's had moments in games too. Man if that OL gets better at the same time he puts it together and makes good on the arm talent? Throw in a running game?

I hate the offseason. Too easy to get hopeful lol.

This is interesting because it’s pretty much the opposite of what Bailey just reported. He said the “gap was wide” in terms of Devito’s accuracy and arm strength vs. GS. He even said he was told that GS struggled handling snaps

This is exactly why I said to be careful sharing what you hear. Who you get your info from matters.

I have a hard time putting a lot of stock in Bailey’s information. Information has been very tightly held. I’d be surprised if players are now giving Bailey all this inside information. Even Mike Mc who has always had great information is not putting out these details. Time will tell.

I mean from a film standpoint you can determine this simply by watching GS film from his action at MSU.
Significantly weaker arm than DeVito (if you watch the KSU game he played it it looked like he was pushing balls downfield at some times), but can throw sideline to sideline with relative accuracy, and can throw on the run. The key here for me is the legs. The legs. The legs. When protection broke down against SEC defenses, GS felt comfortable stepping up in the pocket, recognizing openings and running downhill while maintaining ball security.

Can run the wildcat and/or much more effective RPO with GS for sure. Wildcat with actual potential for passes if you will. Would be interesting way to get TEs involved as well.

It's almost fun not knowing more at this point and making random conjectures.

Tommy’s accuracy is overstated or at least it’s hard to judge because he never had a pocket to throw from and outside the pocket he had no accuracy.

Yes he had the no int streak, but he also avoided tight throws.

i tend to agree with this. For his career he is a 59% passer and I too have noticed that he doesn’t usually try and thread the needle in tight places.

i think part of our perception is that we have had very few pure passers at SU, so that aspect of his game stands out to SU fans. The truth is, however, that some past QB’s were maybe not as accurate (although many of them were) but they brought other skills to the table that made them much more productive overall.

We all...well, except for one poster...know that Tommy has development areas and we all know what they are. No need for me to rehash them but it’s OK to have development areas. The key becomes whether he can take a step up in those areas this year. Yes, we know about the shortcomings at other offensive positions, but a better Tommy will help everyone else raise their game.

The default opinion is that we all want the guy who can get the most wins to be the starter. That said, I hope that Tommy is the guy who can make the leap in his development areas and capture the starter slot. He has been with the program for awhile and you like to see those upper class guys develop and become great.

Again, you could see Tommy begin to put it all together and play with more freedom ..and it all started to coalesce in the game that he injured his foot.

I remember watching him, saying to myself "now he's getting it." A few plays later he was out for the rest of the season. And I said to myself, "Seems about right. Because Syracuse."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom