Spring Game | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

Between not streaming Orange Madness and now the "Spring Game", I don't understand the logic. I understand trying to get locals to come as they're more likely to buy season tickets, but you're a small private that has a football program that doesn't have much influence outside of CNY. Would it hurt to utilize the top facilities in college to stream the game for alumni and fans across the country?
Because the cost is not worth reaching the 10 guys who will watch it.

Between not streaming Orange Madness and now the "Spring Game", I don't understand the logic. I understand trying to get locals to come as they're more likely to buy season tickets, but you're a small private that has a football program that doesn't have much influence outside of CNY. Would it hurt to utilize the top facilities in college to stream the game for alumni and fans across the country?

I think they need to truly invest a little bit into Cuse TV.

It's $90 for the year (which isn't bad) but they should do more with their archived games, put orange madness on there, the spring game, etc. They need to utilize it and promote it because how many people honestly know about it?

It's $90 for the year (which isn't bad) but they should do more with their archived games, put orange madness on there, the spring game, etc. They need to utilize it and promote it because how many people honestly know about it?

This is the first I've heard of it.

Because the cost is not worth reaching the 10 guys who will watch it.
1171 have viewed tomcats stream. Not a lot, but they all came from the forum. Perhaps the cost wouldn't justify it, but with the best communications school in the country, you could do it "free". Of course, they would have needed a little notice, to prepare... No one got any.

Why was spring game played on a Friday night?

Syracuse for the first time this year opted to hold its spring game on a Friday night.

The university announced an attendance of about 2,000 fans and said the move to Friday was partially done to accomodate the recruiting staff, which was able to schedule out the rest of the weekend with activities involving prospects and their families.

A new rule went into effect this year allowing recruits entering their senior year of high school to take official visits -- trips funded by the university -- in the spring

Dino Babers says SU football QB position is best since 1998. It might be better

I'm fine with that for archived games. But the Spring game is a different deal. Streaming was hailed as the primary benefit of moving to the ACC/ESPN model. SU has plenty of revenue, especially when the ACCN goes live. We don't need to soak fans for more money to get access. We need to rebuild the fan base by opening things up. It's not a disaster that the Spring game wasn't streamed. But it's wasn't smart either. Dino wants a full Dome ... can't have that without investing in the fans. This program is doing great things ... fans need to see that. So that was frustrating, although SUTomCat saved the day with his live steaming.

Last edited:
I'm fine with that for archived games. But the Spring game is a different deal. Streaming was hailed as the primary benefit of moving to the ACC/ESPN model. SU has plenty of revenue, especially when the ACCN goes live. We don't need to soak fans for more money to get access. We need to rebuild the fan base by opening things up. It's not a disaster that the Spring game wasn't streamed. But it's wasn't smart either. Dino wants a full Dome ... can't have that without investing in the fans. This program is doing great things ... fans need to see that. So that was frustrating, although SUTomCat saved the day with his live steaming.

The only reason i suggested CuseTV is because of Dino not wanting the game streamed. If it was filed into a subscription I think it's a little easier to get OK'ed by HCDB.

My point with CuseTV would be to actually make it worth $90 for the year. Add as much stuff as you can to it. Or $9.99 a month and cancel anytime as it is now (except it's $10.95)

Why was spring game played on a Friday night?

Syracuse for the first time this year opted to hold its spring game on a Friday night.

The university announced an attendance of about 2,000 fans and said the move to Friday was partially done to accomodate the recruiting staff, which was able to schedule out the rest of the weekend with activities involving prospects and their families.

A new rule went into effect this year allowing recruits entering their senior year of high school to take official visits -- trips funded by the university -- in the spring

Dino Babers says SU football QB position is best since 1998. It might be better
so this just goes away with no posts? dino, mr. no information on anything ever suddenly says the QB situation is the best since mcnabb and its just "oh well"? he has a redshirt freshman and a senior that hasn't played more than 8 games in a season.

so this just goes away with no posts? dino, mr. no information on anything ever suddenly says the QB situation is the best since mcnabb and its just "oh well"? he has a redshirt freshman and a senior that hasn't played more than 8 games in a season.
Yeah, that is a little bit odd - especially when the point was made that ED has won a grand total of ten games in his three partial seasons.
Ryan Nassib may have a little something to say about it, even though he wasn't as athletic as these current QBs.

I liked Nassib but after him we had guys that had no business playing QB at that level. We were a injury away from being a 1 or 2 win team and that was in the big east. I think Dino is saying he’s building depth and actually has a back up QB that gives you a chance to win but in a more optimistic way ;)

Last edited:

He has 5 QBs he likes. Dungey, DeVito, Culpepper, Welch and true frosh Amie. That’s deeper than ever maybe. McNabb didn’t have that depth behind him. Babers likes each one of them.

He has 5 QBs he likes. Dungey, DeVito, Culpepper, Welch and true frosh Amie. That’s deeper than ever maybe. McNabb didn’t have that depth behind him. Babers likes each one of them.

1987 - McPherson, Philcox and Scharr was pretty damn solid. Went 29-6-1 from 87-89, hard to top that.

I liked Nassib but after him we had guys that had no business playing QB at that level. We were a injury away from being a 1 or 2 win team and that was in the big east. I think Dino is saying he’s building depth and actually has a back QB that gives you a chance to win but in a more optimistic way ;)

Nassib had Hunt behind him. Hunt was a fine (not great) QB for the Big East. Hell, he won 6 games and a bowl game in the ACC.

He’s right.

1987 - McPherson, Philcox and Scharr was pretty damn solid. Went 29-6-1 from 87-89, hard to top that.

I’m weary of basing anything on w/l record. I mean those teams were in our hey day, no?

Nassib had Hunt behind him. Hunt was a fine (not great) QB for the Big East. Hell, he won 6 games and a bowl game in the ACC.
Good point but Hunt had no experience and no buzz prior to that first ACC season.We didnt know what he could do. Fortunate enough we had a good run game and it took the pressure off him. It gave him a solid completion percentage because he didnt have to force throws. He got better as the season went. He made a lot of his plays with his feet. I liked Hunt, I wish he could have stayed healthy.

Last edited:
Amie is going to become a star .

If you haven't been paying attention, this is not a bold statement. We've been steadily building quality depth in th QB room for a couple years. Starting with the previous staff's Rex C., whom Dino wanted here.

Top to bottom, it's as strong the position group has been since I've been watching. John Kinder, Johnny Miller and Broyld be damned. Chad Elliot does not agree with my assessment.

If you haven't been paying attention, this is not a bold statement. We've been steadily building quality depth in th QB room for a couple years. Starting with the previous staff's Rex C., whom Dino wanted here.

Top to bottom, it's as strong the position group has been since I've been watching. John Kinder, Johnny Miller and Broyld be damned. Chad Elliot does not agree with my assessment.
Dont forget Charlie Loeb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom