Spring Game | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

bothsocksup

Starter
Im really hoping, SUA does a broadcast or something fan oriented when it comes to watching the spring game.

Im really hoping, SUA does a broadcast or something fan oriented when it comes to watching the spring game.
They won't. Production cost is prohibitive because maybe 100 people will watch. Hardly worth it for the AD.

UConn's spring game is going to be televised on SNY. It is being increasingly hard to defend or even understand what the people in charge at SU are up to. I think they have been watching those crappy men-women relationship movies where the plot revolves around the notion that the only way to get the person you want is to ignore them. A daring way to market the program. Bravo!

UConn's spring game is going to be televised on SNY. It is being increasingly hard to defend or even understand what the people in charge at SU are up to. I think they have been watching those crappy men-women relationship movies where the plot revolves around the notion that the only way to get the person you want is to ignore them. A daring way to market the program. Bravo!

You know its funny you mention that, didnt we sign some deal with SNY last year or two years ago? Yet I only see Rutgers and UConn crap out there, what the hell did we sign up for?

Have they announced what the deal is with the SU/G'town lacrosse game? Is the entire doubleheader going to be free, or do I still need to buy a lax ticket? I'll go either way, but free lax makes it an easier sell for tailgate buddies on the fence.

Have they announced what the deal is with the SU/G'town lacrosse game? Is the entire doubleheader going to be free, or do I still need to buy a lax ticket? I'll go either way, but free lax makes it an easier sell for tailgate buddies on the fence.

Based on past experience, they will probably let you in for free for the FB game, and start charging admission at 2 PM for the LAX.

Come early, and stay all day for free.

If it's anything like junior day yesterday you won't be able to hear the PA system so maybe they will have mimes reenact what's going on.

As for the spring games I've accidentally sat next to Marvins parents and Dons so you guys better set me up and willfully guide me to sit next to the next great SU qb parent(s) or guardian(s). Marvs mom was funny as she hid her head a lot of the time so she wouldn't see her son get hurt.

Here is a great example of how behind we are in terms of marketing/fan engagement:

ESPN NCAAF - Michigan painting the hashtag "#GOBLUE" in 2 places on field for Saturday's spring scrimmage."

For those who might not fully understand it, doing something like this would be a simple and extremely cost effective way to get fans to care about, talk about, follow the spring game...which will not be on TV ala UCONN. Sprinkle in something like having a Twitter chat with an SU great or TGD during the half, and now you're offering a way for fans - esp those not close enough to attend - to pay attention and give a crap.

Not saying this tactic will sell 10k tickets come Oct, but it's becoming the bare minimum of what consumers are expecting from anyone trying to sell them something. SU really needs to wake the on some of this stuff...esp if fans are going to have to continue to be patient for on-field results.

You know its funny you mention that, didnt we sign some deal with SNY last year or two years ago? Yet I only see Rutgers and UConn crap out there, what the hell did we sign up for?

Live games and the coaches shows are on SNY. That's the SU crap that's available. If you don't see live games, it's because they are blacked out. What more are you expecting that isn't already on TWS.

Here is a great example of how behind we are in terms of marketing/fan engagement:

ESPN NCAAF - Michigan painting the hashtag "#GOBLUE" in 2 places on field for Saturday's spring scrimmage."

For those who might not full understand it, doing something like this would be a simple and extremely cost effective way to get fans to care about, talk about, follow the spring game...which will not be on TV ala UCONN. Sprinkle in something like having a Twitter chat with an SU great or TGD during the half, and now you're offering a way for fans - esp those not close enough to attend - to pay attention and give a crap.

Not saying this tactic will sell 10k tickets come Oct, but it's becoming the bare minimum of what consumers are expecting from anyone trying to sell them something. SU really needs to wake the on some of this stuff...esp if fans are going to have to continue to be patient for on-field results.

Doesn't Michigan play ON A GRASS FIELD?

Little bit different than what SU has.

I refuse to believe that has anything to do with why we aren't doing things like this.

First, they can change the paint on the field turf. That isn't an issue.

Second, that isn't even the point. There are simple, easy ways to be engaging, that is the point.

For those who might not fully understand it, doing something like this would be a simple and extremely cost effective way to get fans to care about, talk about, follow the spring game...which will not be on TV ala UCONN. Sprinkle in something like having a Twitter chat with an SU great or TGD during the half, and now you're offering a way for fans - esp those not close enough to attend - to pay attention and give a crap.

So, you think that painting "Go Orange" on the field will sell tickets or generate interest?

Really?

Didn't the Unversity paint "Ernie Davis Legends Field" on the Dome surface two years ago?

I don't see that Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State did something like that.

I agree that every marketing effort has some incremental value, but I disagree with the notion that Dr. Gross has made no effort in that regard.

More can be done, but as I have said, Syracuse and CNY go to games to see wins and that's what's going to be the difference maker in the near future.

Wins plus the ACC I think will make the difference. At least I hope so.

Live games and the coaches shows are on SNY. That's the SU crap that's available. If you don't see live games, it's because they are blacked out. What more are you expecting that isn't already on TWS.

The deal was supposed to deliver additional stuff then what we get through TW which is a once a week coaches show during the decision (big deal). SNY has shown numerous shows for RU and UConn goign behind the scenes, press conferences, countdown of top players etc etc, if we have the same deal where is that for SU?

First, they can change the paint on the field turf. That isn't an issue.

Second, that isn't even the point. There are simple, easy ways to be engaging, that is the point.

I don't think Michigan paiting the hashtag #GoBlue on the field is very engaging, but maybe that's just me? Are there other engaging this Syracuse could do? Certainly. They're already trying to garner some more intrest in the Spring Game by having it before the lacrosse game.

The biggest way to truly engage the fans is to win. Winning solves everything. Even if the administration bends over backwards to open up and engage the fans, that's not going to sell and extra 5,000 tickets to the Stony Brook game. There's just too much of the CNY fanbase that are fair weather fans, which truly sucks for the diehards. Until Syracuse starts winning more often and the fair weather fans want to go see Syracuse REGARDLESS of who they're playing, not much may change.

The deal was supposed to deliver additional stuff then what we get through TW which is a once a week coaches show during the decision (big deal). SNY has shown numerous shows for RU and UConn goign behind the scenes, press conferences, countdown of top players etc etc, if we have the same deal where is that for SU?

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2010/9/15/FB_0915101140.aspx?path=football

SNY anticipates providing more than 300 hours of live game telecasts and replays, classic game re-broadcasts, the weekly Syracuse Sidelines show with football coach Doug Marrone, basketball coach Jim Boeheim and lacrosse coach John Desko, and other additional content. Additionally, SNY will offer significantly increased coverage of SU football and basketball on its nightly Geico SportsNite news show.

Looks like SNY is only rebroadcasting TW content, albeit to a much wider audience. It doesn't say anything about SNY generating its' own original SU programming, other than reporting our scores every night.

The deal was supposed to deliver additional stuff then what we get through TW which is a once a week coaches show during the decision (big deal).

Where do you get that from? Whatever SNY shows is what is produced by SU/TWC. There is nothing regarding SNY producing additional content. They are just another outlet that extends SU's footprint beyond what TWC provides. That's it.

The statement regarding what is broadcast by each platform are identical. Only difference is increased reporting on SU during SNY's nightly news show.

What's with you going out of your way to find stuff to complain about?

Where do you get that from? Whatever SNY shows is what is produced by SU/TWC. There is nothing regarding SNY producing additional content. They are just another outlet that extends SU's footprint beyond what TWC provides. That's it.

The statement regarding what is broadcast by each platform are identical. Only difference is increased reporting on SU during SNY's nightly news show.

What's with you going out of your way to find stuff to complain about?

Who is complaining? I guess I am a bad fan for looking for more coverage then just a replay of our last game. In the press release by extreme it says classic game broadcasts, weekly sideline shows, and other additional content. I see that for RU and UConn just not SU so I was curious why SU was not on there more. As for my other posts I am simply giving my opinion on the state of the program and how SU is treating the die hard locals or at least the perception that is out there. Sorry if I dont toe the company line on everything.

Who is complaining? I guess I am a bad fan for looking for more coverage then just a replay of our last game. In the press release by extreme it says classic game broadcasts, weekly sideline shows, and other additional content. I see that for RU and UConn just not SU so I was curious why SU was not on there more. As for my other posts I am simply giving my opinion on the state of the program and how SU is treating the die hard locals or at least the perception that is out there. Sorry if I dont toe the company line on everything.

Who's complaining, really? Here's the answer, you are.

Live broadcasts are blacked out here, I've seen the SU coaches show's on the schedule, I've seen classic broadcasts. The only thing that SU hasn't done that the other two do is a one hour compressed replay of football.

Here's what SU got out of the deal: SNY is available to viewers throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally on DIRECTV and AT&T U-Verse. In other words a platform for game broadcasts that would otherwise be limited to those with access to TWCNY, other TW outlets upstate, or Watch ESPN on line.

In other words, it's a GOOD thing.

So, you think that painting "Go Orange" on the field will sell tickets or generate interest?

Really?

Didn't the Unversity paint "Ernie Davis Legends Field" on the Dome surface two years ago?

I don't see that Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State did something like that.

I agree that every marketing effort has some incremental value, but I disagree with the notion that Dr. Gross has made no effort in that regard.

More can be done, but as I have said, Syracuse and CNY go to games to see wins and that's what's going to be the difference maker in the near future.

Wins plus the ACC I think will make the difference. At least I hope so.

Did you read the part where I said I don't think it will drive ticket sales directly? What it WILL do is give fans a different way to follow the game/program and engage/care/give a ...and THAT could very well lead to someone buying a ticket.

I get the idea that W's are ultimately what the program needs, but here's the thing: if you're Dell, and you're getting crushed by Apple in the PC category, do you give up? Do you just wait until your R&D comes up with something to compete with the leader of the pack. NO! Of course you don't. You keep marketing. Keeping trying to find a voice, create advocates, build buzz through ads or product placements.

Just because SU is waiting for their "ipad" to come along, doesn't mean you stop trying.

The "win and nothing else " marketing attitude might as well be a death sentence for a program that has been as bad as we have been for a decade and might need another year or two before we turn it around.

Did you read the part where I said I don't think it will drive ticket sales directly? What it WILL do is give fans a different way to follow the game/program and engage/care/give a ****...and THAT could very well lead to someone buying a ticket.

I get the idea that W's are ultimately what the program needs, but here's the thing: if you're Dell, and you're getting crushed by Apple in the PC category, do you give up? Do you just wait until your R&D comes up with something to compete with the leader of the pack. NO! Of course you don't. You keep marketing. Keeping trying to find a voice, create advocates, build buzz through ads or product placements.

Just because SU is waiting for their "ipad" to come along, doesn't mean you stop trying.

The "win and nothing else " marketing attitude might as well be a death sentence for a program that has been as bad as we have been for a decade and might need another year or two before we turn it around.

I love your enthusiasm but the Ernie Davis Legends Field idea, though nice, did not drive ticket sales directly or indirectly.

And yes, as I said, more and new marketing efforts should be made.

But based on my experience with CNY - whether it's the Chiefs, the Blazers, the Syracuse Scorpions and the University - what truly draws our fans is a winning program.

I wish it were different, but that's my conclusion.

I love your enthusiasm but the Ernie Davis Legends Field idea, though nice, did not drive ticket sales directly or indirectly.

And yes, as I said, more and new marketing efforts should be made.

But based on my experience with CNY - whether it's the Chiefs, the Blazers, the Syracuse Scorpions and the University - what truly draws our fans is a winning program.

I wish it were different, but that's my conclusion.

1) Maybe some don't undertand the hashtag thing. It's not just a making on the field. It's a symbol for fans to use in order to organize conversations on twitter about a certain topic. Tweeting live events such as the Super Bowl and award shows is big business. The SU community as a whole is very socially active. This would work.

2) I'm not saying you're wrong re: CNY, but basically you might as well tell those same people to quiet their jobs and wait for them to win the lotto. Hope that works out for everyone...

Who's complaining, really? Here's the answer, you are.

Live broadcasts are blacked out here, I've seen the SU coaches show's on the schedule, I've seen classic broadcasts. The only thing that SU hasn't done that the other two do is a one hour compressed replay of football.

Here's what SU got out of the deal: SNY is available to viewers throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally on DIRECTV and AT&T U-Verse. In other words a platform for game broadcasts that would otherwise be limited to those with access to TWCNY, other TW outlets upstate, or Watch ESPN on line.

In other words, it's a GOOD thing.

I know live broadcasts are blacked out I am not talking about that. So as far as game broadcasts that would otherwise be limited to TWCNY you mean like the last two Lax games that were available on TW but not on SNY for even a replay? Besides SU vs Mich St which is a BE classic game what other classic game have you seen on there with Syracuse? Its not complaining when you are simply asking what we are getting out of the deal, I am sorry I even asked at this point. Hey at least SU is getting SNY to cover all the spring game news, oh wait.....

u-conn and rutgers have no classic games on record,or should i say ever televised. that is why SNY has resorted to showing their spring games live. i am still waiting to see film of the "first ever" college football game.

get with the program kid

u-conn and rutgers have no classic games on record,or should i say ever televised. that is why SNY has resorted to showing their spring games live. i am still waiting to see film of the "first ever" college football game.

get with the program kid

LOL great point Retro, great point. It was good seeing you this weekend to, hopefully we have another win Saturday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom