Spring Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

1) Maybe some don't undertand the hashtag thing. It's not just a making on the field. It's a symbol for fans to use in order to organize conversations on twitter about a certain topic. Tweeting live events such as the Super Bowl and award shows is big business. The SU community as a whole is very socially active. This would work.

2) I'm not saying you're wrong re: CNY, but basically you might as well tell those same people to quiet their jobs and wait for them to win the lotto. Hope that works out for everyone...
No, a hashtag being painted on the field would probably cost at least $1K. For maybe 5,000 eyes to see it. 5 people per dollar isn't good value. Michigan's paint is cheaper because it's natural grass, and will be seen by at least 50,000 at the Big House, as well as anyone watching on ESPN/ESPN3 (I'm not sure if it's being broadcast but it would be surprising if it's not). This is Syracuse, not Michigan. I love when people take initiatives from a national program and assume it will work here.

No, a hashtag being painted on the field would probably cost at least $1K. For maybe 5,000 eyes to see it. 5 people per dollar isn't good value. Michigan's paint is cheaper because it's natural grass, and will be seen by at least 50,000 at the Big House, as well as anyone watching on ESPN/ESPN3 (I'm not sure if it's being broadcast but it would be surprising if it's not). This is Syracuse, not Michigan. I love when people take initiatives from a national program and assume it will work here.

Fine. You and the rest of the "stop with all these damn ideas...Marrone needs quiet to turn the program around" crew win.

But for kicks, I'll go see what Akron and Stony Brook have planned to market their Spring Games...ya know, since those seem to be our peer set based on your feelings, and frankly, our level of play.

Fine. You and the rest of the "stop with all these damn ideas...Marrone needs quiet to turn the program around" crew win.

But for kicks, I'll go see what Akron and Stony Brook have planned to market their Spring Games...ya know, since those seem to be our peer set based on your feelings, and frankly, our level of play.
I'm not saying "stop with these ideas", as a Sport Management/Marketing student I agree that more should be done for our program. I'm just saying a hashtag painted in the endzone isn't going to do anything to put butts in the seats, which is what sports marketing is about.

I'm not saying "stop with these ideas", as a Sport Management/Marketing student I agree that more should be done for our program. I'm just saying a hashtag painted in the endzone isn't going to do anything to put butts in the seats, which is what sports marketing is about.

Fine, but take it from someone who actually works in marketing for a living - while the end goal for everything in life is to sell something/make money, you can spend money and create campaigns that have goals other than sell products directly. Driving web traffic, getting people to use a coupon code, having them like you on facebook, submitting their email address...these are all things that can add to a successful marketing program just as much as buying a ticket.

Doing something to instigate fans talking about the Spring Game is a worthwhile endeavor.

(And stop thinking it's just about painting the letters on the field. Like I need to provide a dissertation on this stuff for each idea. Have you ever seen SUathletics.com? It's an ad platform. Do you get the weekly emails I do about buying this week's stupid t-shirt? Do you following @SyracuseU and @Cuse? There are PLENTY of vehicles where the school could "advertise" a hashtag for the game. It's not just about the 300 people in the stands.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom