Spring Game | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

bnoro

Lurker
Even though this is the 10th wrap up or so of yesterday's game, I decided to just post here rather than comment on others. I met up with BlackKnight around the 40 yard line, right behind the parents of Riley Dixon (walk-on P). Game started a bit early, around 11:50, to a scarce crowd. I loved the lack of piped in music and ads, as the band played a lot. Thought they did a good job in presentation, halftime could have used a bit more than a field goal contest, but whatever, I'm there for the football, not the ancillary stuff. Club 44 had free food, the sliders and cookies were pretty good.

Nassib looked great. Not sure what terrible throws people saw him make, but there were a few times I looked at Dan and said "that's an NFL throw". He's going to be real good for us. Loeb likes to put way too much air under his passes, and Kinder really struggles with accuracy. Would have loved to see Terrel Hunt/Ashton Broyld get snaps.

Our running game didn't stand a chance with the makeshift O-Lines we threw out there. Jerome looks like he'll be the #1, as he should be. PTG will be used in a scat back Reggie Bush role. Ashton will get his plays, but his reactions in pass protection are worse than AAM's were last year.

Our WRs will be an interesting battle in the fall. West and Lemon didn't play but with Sales back, who made some really nice catches, they should be able to get open a lot easier. Kobena was a nice deep threat and if the O-Line gave Nassib time he would have completed a few more. Flemming and Hale were ok. Kobena made a few nice catches. Broyld had a nice play on a screen pass, as well as a QB throwback. Sucks that Foster is out, hope it's not for the season. His knee got messed up from what I heard, but he was an animal in practice up to this point.

Don't use this game to judge the OLine. Chibane was playing tackle, Robinson was playing guard, and Foy and Lou were on the other side with Macky in the middle. As a first team squad this is very weak. Chibane had a great block on a LB while pulling. Didn't see Mack get beat. Phillips was our 2nd team Center and got picked up and pancaked by Bromley at one point. He's not fast enough off the snap to get his hands up. Once the fall comes we'll be better.

The DLine looked great, but I am tempering expectations based on the poor OLine play. Bromley will play on Sundays. He looks huge and really knows how to use his hands. Glad we found him in that game at the Dome. Our D-ends looks small and this worries me. Dan Vaughan is the same size as Sharpe. Simmons put on weight but is still a bit skinny. I hope they can bulk up more this summer.

Linebackers looked ok, didn't see anything that got me really excited. Anene looks to be better than his walk-on status suggests, had a few plays where he cut right through the OLine. Cam Lynch looks huge, he put on a ton of weight and he's going to be a stud here.

I can't wait to see what our secondary can do this year. Reddish and Anderson were a big part of why our defense shut down the offense. Reddish is a player. There was a play where he stumbled off the line, but recovered to chase down the WR and force a pass breakup. He also showed tremendous ball skills and almost picked off a ball wildly over thrown. Reddish vs. Lyn/Anderson in the fall for a starting spot will be interesting. Wilkes should have picked off 3 balls. No hands on that kid, but good positioning. Shamarko will be very good. Love Mungwa in the Okie. Eskridge got dinged early in the game, but came back.

I like our new punt formation, both punters had a few NFL hangtime punts, but then some really bad ones. I think Dixon has a better leg than Fisher. Licky looked terrible, missed two FGs. Not sure why Krautman didn't kick.

Everyone has been so negative, but needs to take it as it is. This was a spring game with a short roster and many key players not playing. The offenses and defenses weren't running our play book on some plays (i.e. the 4 man backfield). Temper expectations.

Yeah, the meltdown about how bad the offense was is kind of out of proportion. Yes, it sucked to watch. But here's the thing- It all came down to the lines. And the OLine isn't going to stay this way. Sweet Lou isn't going to be the starting RT. Justin Pugh is going to be the starting LT, not Bane or Curtis. And on the second string, there was a kid playing RT who played DT at a D-II school.

Sure, there's HUGE question marks going into the fall. But the guarantees on this board that Doug isn't the guy or over his head are a bit ridiculous. It's like calling for the head of a manager after a losing spring training.

Regarding the lb's, if the line can get some penetration, which I think they will, it'll help regarding falling for play fakes which they did quite often last year...and also the extra year of experience of reads.

It was nice to see Robinson getting so much time. The oline was a hodge podge but the dline bursts up the middle bug me but again, one very small sample study.

bnoro [or anyone else]--I have a question about Hunt. I'm sure this has already been answered, but with the dearth of spring practice news I haven't seen anything addressing it.

My question is: was Hunt held out of spring practice altogether, or was his punishment just that he wasn't allowed to participate in the spring football game? I really hope it isn't the former--from a developmental standpoint, that would be a shame.

bnoro [or anyone else]--I have a question about Hunt. I'm sure this has already been answered, but with the dearth of spring practice news I haven't seen anything addressing it.

My question is: was Hunt held out of spring practice altogether, or was his punishment just that he wasn't allowed to participate in the spring football game? I really hope it isn't the former--from a developmental standpoint, that would be a shame.

He wasn't practicing.

He wasn't practicing.

Dammit. Thanks for the answer, LeMoyneCuse.

Not sure that I agree with that punishment, then. Would have preferred to see them handle this differently.

Not sure that I agree with that punishment, then. Would have preferred to see them handle this differently.
Doug HATES stealing. This is why it was all spring and not just a few days.

Doug HATES stealing. This is why it was all spring and not just a few days.

I get it. He committed a crime, and he deserves to be punished. I just think it could have been handled differently. For example, nothing like 6am mandatory workouts with the training staff to teach a kid a lesson. Run him until he pukes, force him to earn a higher GPA, hold him to a zero tolerance policy for any future issues, etc.

But not allowing him to practice this spring seems counter-productive from a developmental standpoint.

Bnoro thanks for the report you and BlackKnight are probably 4 year "front" rowers I have just a single question did it seem like Marrone was more loose yesterday or was he the same stoic no emotion coach we are used to seeing on Saturdays. While I am optimistic I tend to be a realist as it pertains to HC Marrone we really need to see him grow up as a coach this year. If Marrone loosens up and grows up as a coach I won't be as worried with the results on the field as much because our schedule this year is really tough and I am not expecting miracles at best we go 7-5 but if HC Marrone grows into the HC position I will be okay with 5-7 for the future.

Totally agree.

Bnoro thanks for the report you and BlackKnight are probably 4 year "front" rowers I have just a single question did it seem like Marrone was more loose yesterday or was he the same stoic no emotion coach we are used to seeing on Saturdays. While I am optimistic I tend to be a realist as it pertains to HC Marrone we really need to see him grow up as a coach this year. If Marrone loosens up and grows up as a coach I won't be as worried with the results on the field as much because our schedule this year is really tough and I am not expecting miracles at best we go 7-5 but if HC Marrone grows into the HC position I will be okay with 5-7 for the future.
Really? I'm shocked I'm actually answering this question. Sure, he looked happy and was joking around a bit. This will have no impact on the season.

Really? I'm shocked I'm actually answering this question. Sure, he looked happy and was joking around a bit. This will have no impact on the season.

To add to this a little, after that last play where Loeb got picked throwing one up to Stevens it looked like Doug was laughing a little and joking into his headset while Moore was all upset. After reading the articles on Syracuse.com this morning and seeing that HC Moore made the play call over what OC Marrone wanted to run it made a little more sense.

This sideline demeanor complaint is among the most ridiculous things I've seen get traction on this board, but it's a pretty long list.

Don't you know is all Doug has to do is loosen up and have some "fun" and everything will be OK. I think my dad use to tell me that when I was 11. What

Marrone lost some capital with me last year he didn't show any improvement on the sidelines and with how our team looked on the ESPNU videos it left something to be desired. I am not calling for his head but I want to see him loosen up and have him smile just a little and show he can be likable I am not asking for him to Rah Rah like Pete Carroll but just show he can have fun.

Marrone lost some capital with me last year he didn't show any improvement on the sidelines and with how our team looked on the ESPNU videos it left something to be desired. I am not calling for his head but I want to see him loosen up and have him smile just a little and show he can be likable I am not asking for him to Rah Rah like Pete Carroll but just show he can have fun.
Would the Pats have won the Super Bowl this year if Bill Belichick smiled more?

Anything worth mentioning for the punt return team? Was Steve Rene the primary punt returner?
Who is Steve Rene's backup, btw?

Yes.

I mean Tom Coughlin is like an old, white Chris Rock on the sideline.

Different beast between college and professional football as the talent disparity is razor thin in the NFL compared to college. Plus, Belichick does show emotion all BB does is he doesn't play the media game he keeps everything inside. He is a genius but c'mon if you don't think DM could improve as a coach. His act is running thin for a man who preaches discipline the lack of discipline last year and the numerous PF penalties we have had doesn't add up. He is a first time HC but if you believe his blank expressions on the sideline and his mistakes haven't grown tiresome. Examples, BC game 2 years ago he punts down 2 scores with 4 minutes left around midfield, last year versus Louisville down 24 points he leaves the starters in with 4 minutes left and they score and doesn't go for 2. I just want to see some improvement from DM.

Anything worth mentioning for the punt return team? Was Steve Rene the primary punt returner?
Who is Steve Rene's backup, btw?

I didn't see any of the prescrimmage work, but during the "game", Rene and Desir were the punt returners. All they were expected to do was catch the punt cleanly.

Somehow, a coach who's laughing and joking on the sideline when his team is losing doesn't seem like such a good idea.

He was laughing because Marrone had sent a play in and Moore (acting head coach) overruled the play call and it got picked. They both mentioned the play in the post game press conference.

He is a first time HC but if you believe his blank expressions on the sideline and his mistakes haven't grown tiresome. Examples, BC game 2 years ago he punts down 2 scores with 4 minutes left around midfield, last year versus Louisville down 24 points he leaves the starters in with 4 minutes left and they score and doesn't go for 2. I just want to see some improvement from DM.

His expression on his face has nothing to do with your examples. I can see a complaint with in game decisions, but the "he doesn't get fired up" complaint holds no water.

Anyone else want to see Wayne Morgan get a chance to return punts? Hopefully the secondary has enough depth to red-shirt him but some day I would like to see it.

Yeah, the meltdown about how bad the offense was is kind of out of proportion. Yes, it sucked to watch. But here's the thing- It all came down to the lines. And the OLine isn't going to stay this way. Sweet Lou isn't going to be the starting RT. Justin Pugh is going to be the starting LT, not Bane or Curtis. And on the second string, there was a kid playing RT who played DT at a D-II school.

Sure, there's HUGE question marks going into the fall. But the guarantees on this board that Doug isn't the guy or over his head are a bit ridiculous. It's like calling for the head of a manager after a losing spring training.

How many guys are they missing right now, and how many new-comers are expected to impact the O-line ? What does the expected 2 deep look like ? Do we know anything new after the scrimmage, in your opinion ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom