Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference | Syracusefan.com

Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Brief question and comment was if Roberts/Dungey would be ready to go for spring. HCDB said they'd definitely be ready to go next season. No mention of spring availability. Sure made me think it's likely Dungey sits out the spring. Which means TD, Rex and Chance get all the snaps. This will be huge for their development and going to make the QB battle in August a bit more interesting than I would've originally thought.

I don't know if that's a reflection of Dungey's injuries or Babers not wanting to over-promise. That said, if he sits, it would be a boon for the backups.

Brief question and comment was if Roberts/Dungey would be ready to go for spring. HCDB said they'd definitely be ready to go next season. No mention of spring availability. Sure made me think it's likely Dungey sits out the spring. Which means TD, Rex and Chance get all the snaps. This will be huge for their development and going to make the QB battle in August a bit more interesting than I would've originally thought.
The QB battle should be a great thing. I'm not sure when we've had as many really good prospects at the position but august is shaping up to be memorable.

I think Dungey is awesome. I think he is fearless. I've also come to believe he's susceptible to injury more than most. Two years with Dungey has lead to two 4-8 seasons. Is the third time the charm or more of the same - play in most games but injured for the rest. It may be time that Babers says "time for a new direction with the guys I recruited".

I think Dungey is awesome. I think he is fearless. I've also come to believe he's susceptible to injury more than most. Two years with Dungey has lead to two 4-8 seasons. Is the third time the charm or more of the same - play in most games but injured for the rest. It may be time that Babers says "time for a new direction with the guys I recruited".

I never thought it possible, but if TD can move the team and score points this spring you just never know. If they grade out near equal I could see HCDB going with TD and playing for the future. When the lights come on though Dungey is a gamer. I still expect ED to start but August will be an epic battle. HCDB made it clear that the best player will play regardless of position.

The QB battle should be a great thing. I'm not sure when we've had as many really good prospects at the position but august is shaping up to be memorable.
Probably not since '95 with KJ and McNabb coming off of their redshirt years. I think KJ was rated higher coming out of high school. I seem to remember there being a third, but I can't remember who it was.

It was Downing.

I’ve have been 100% Camp Dungey but I have to admit, considering how the last two seasons have finished, that 100% has dropped. If Tommy has an impressive spring and shows Dino he can run the team, I won’t be terribly disappointed if he’s named the starter. I love a healthy Dungey, but I don’t see enough of him. If Dungey keeps the job, fantastic, he’s a great QB. If DeVito wins it, than that gets me a bit excited that the future is now.

Last edited:
It was Downing.

I’ve have been 100% Camp Dungey but I have to admit, considering how the last two seasons have finished, that 100% has dropped. If Tommy has an impressive spring and shows Dino he can run the team, I won’t be terribly disappointed if he’s named the starter. I love a healthy Dungey, but I don’t see enough of him. If Dungey keeps the job, fantastic, he’s a great QB. If DeVito wins it, than the gets me a bit excited that the future is now.
I agree with this completely.

An not only has Dungey missed 1/3 of our games, he is usually hurt/limited in half of the games he does play. Nobody will convince me that his increase in interceptions and decrease in efficiency that occurred mid-year wasn’t mostly due to physical ailments.

I love Dungey but split time with TD the way Tebow and Leak were used wouldn’t be the worst thing. Both QBs can sling it and both are mobile (edge to Dungey’s legs and TD’s arm obviously) so the defense wouldn’t nessessarily know what’s coming just because a certain QB is in the game.

I vote for a 2/3 Dungey and 1/3 TD to start and change that mix if one QB is obviously progressing better throughout the season.

Keith downing?

Yes, it was Downing. And I think he was the "favorite" going into spring practice (unless I am "misremembering"). I was at that spring game when McNabb finally got snaps as a redshirt freshman. There was never any doubt from that moment on - and I am certain the staff already knew that.

I’ve have been 100% Camp Dungey but I have to admit, considering how the last two seasons have finished, that 100% has dropped. If Tommy has an impressive spring and shows Dino he can run the team, I won’t be terribly disappointed if he’s named the starter. I love a healthy Dungey, but I don’t see enough of him. If Dungey keeps the job, fantastic, he’s a great QB. If DeVito wins it, than the gets me a bit excited that the future is now.
It'll be a huge step forward if Dungey goes down and the team doesn't suddenly fall off a cliff, as has happened three years straight.

Well if we are concerned on how the year finished logically we would be in a better position this year if Dungey goes down and devito takes over.

Is it confirmed that Dungey is going to miss spring practice? I thought he had a broken toe or broken foot?

Is it confirmed that Dungey is going to miss spring practice? I thought he had a broken toe or broken foot?

confirmed no. babers was asked if dungey and roberts would be ready for spring. babers answered the question by saying both would definitely be ready to go next season.

confirmed no. babers was asked if dungey and roberts would be ready for spring. babers answered the question by saying both would definitely be ready to go next season.

This was my read too. Without saying it directly, he seemed to imply that either Dungey will not be recovered enough to play in the spring, or that he will be held out of contact drills and scrimmages until fall preseason.

We know about the big toe surgery. I wonder if Dungey was also dealing with high ankle and/or knee sprain.

It was Downing.

I’ve have been 100% Camp Dungey but I have to admit, considering how the last two seasons have finished, that 100% has dropped. If Tommy has an impressive spring and shows Dino he can run the team, I won’t be terribly disappointed if he’s named the starter. I love a healthy Dungey, but I don’t see enough of him. If Dungey keeps the job, fantastic, he’s a great QB. If DeVito wins it, than that gets me a bit excited that the future is now.

I think it was Keith Downing who could purportedly throw the ball 70 yards from his knees. When asked about it he said it might be true but they don't have that play in the playbook.

I think the way to look at this is that Dungey is going to be the starter and should be the starter, and hopefully stays healthy and has a fantastic, COMPLETE, senior season. That being said, this is the first time in years that we have 3 highly regarded, A list QB recruits recruited by the staff that is coaching them on the depth chart behind the starter. Now Rex may shake out as 4th of 4 when all is said and done, but he was still recruited by this staff, for this system and he had some blue blood legit offers (although we can debate whether those were at QB or not lol).

This for me is the best I've felt about the QB depth chart since the days of McNabb. And I'm not exaggerating there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom