Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference

My gut tells me one of the other guys would have to significantly outperform ED to be given any consideration......ED is the golden boy and as long as he can play he will be the starting QB.....with all that our back up (whoever that is) needs to be ready to go, ED won't make a full season....

August is going to be interesting if ED doesn’t practice at all this spring. He will likely still win. However, with a new OC coming in, he might not understand all of the nuance of next year’s offense if there are any subtle changes. I think he’ll win, but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion.

August is going to be interesting if ED doesn’t practice at all this spring. He will likely still win. However, with a new OC coming in, he might not understand all of the nuance of next year’s offense if there are any subtle changes. I think he’ll win, but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion.
You think a new OC would change enough to have an impact? If we had a defensive head coach, I could see it. The offense is Dino's, and it won't change much. We don't even know if he'll hire a replacement OC for Lewis. It's more likely Lynch becomes the sole OC, at least for now, and he hires a QB coach, isn't it? ED would have to fall way off or another QB would have to blow the staff away for us to start the season with anyone other than ED as the starter.

You think a new OC would change enough to have an impact? If we had a defensive head coach, I could see it. The offense is Dino's, and it won't change much. We don't even know if he'll hire a replacement OC for Lewis. It's more likely Lynch becomes the sole OC, at least for now, and he hires a QB coach, isn't it? ED would have to fall way off or another QB would have to blow the staff away for us to start the season with anyone other than ED as the starter.

I don’t think you’re wrong. However, Dungey made a lot of mistakes last year and TD will have a year and an off-season under his belt. Even if there aren’t any changes to the offense, I think ED will actually have to compete for his job. Anytime you actually have to compete for your job, you run the risk of losing it.

I don’t think you’re wrong. However, Dungey made a lot of mistakes last year and TD will have a year and an off-season under his belt. Even if there aren’t any changes to the offense, I think ED will actually have to compete for his job. Anytime you actually have to compete for your job, you run the risk of losing it.
I agree with this and let’s face it, DeVito has to be thinking he’s definitely starting at least 4, maybe 5 games...so why not go out and grab the whole lot??...

If it’s not close, that’s a different story, but put me in the camp that says Dungey will be hearing footsteps.

My gut tells me one of the other guys would have to significantly outperform ED to be given any consideration...ED is the golden boy and as long as he can play he will be the starting QB...with all that our back up (whoever that is) needs to be ready to go, ED won't make a full season...

Your gut tells you that, or your brain?

All hypothetical, but what if TD wins the starting job. What do you do with Dungey? Do you see if he wants to try out another position (TE or WR) or do you let him ride the bench as number 2?

All hypothetical, but what if TD wins the starting job. What do you do with Dungey? Do you see if he wants to try out another position (TE or WR) or do you let him ride the bench as number 2?
Dont worry about. Eric has a chance at All ACC and All American. He is the leader of this team and will be until he graduates.

That's a different point than the one you made initially, and I think it's a stronger argument.

Why dont you expound.

Indeed.

If you stipulate that anybody who has graduated is no longer with the program, and all of the incoming players are not yet here, then who else is a better football player on the team - right now - than Dungey??

The only guys I can even think of that one could remotely consider in this discussion are Slayton on D, and Hof on ST’s.

Devito may end up being better than ED, and I’d almost be surprised if he didn’t, but I don’t believe he is right now.

That's a different point than the one you made initially, and I think it's a stronger argument.

It was more of a concession of your first argument. I don’t definitively know that the offense will change. However, I do know that Dungey made mistakes. It’ll be an interesting August. Regardless of the outcome, we are in good shape at QB.

Not to say I disagree completely, but if TD is the prototype, what's with the recruitment of Chance Amie? It's not like we absolutely had to have a QB this class, and he's the guy that was atop our board by all accounts. So we didn't just take him, we wanted him and went out and stole him back.

At this point I don't know that we as Cuse fans have a good idea of the prototype that Dino wants running the offense at a P5 level. Next year will be such an important year for the development of our program, but especially at the QB position.

A QB is recruited every class. Heaven forbid, you end up with a situation like Maryland the last few years because they didn't have enough QBs on the roster.

For as good as TD might be or become, Eric Dungey is the starting QB next year. It's not even close IMHO... and that's not saying anything bad about TD. Experience is massive for a college QB in the P5.

Let's not overthink it. TD will get his chances next year.

We have no running game and because of that Dungey must start. He is our QB and RB. If we had a running game then QB would be up for grabs. Dungey is an amazing competitor, but IMO Mahoney seemed to know the O better. Problem was Mahoney stinks and we got nothing out of that knowledge. If TD knows the O then it should be a competition. But ultimately you can’t be one dimensional and Dungey has to be the guy.

If the same thing happens next season with Dungey playing 7 or 8 games, I think it's going to be great to see if DeVito can rise to the occasion and get some wins to start his promising career.

We have no running game and because of that Dungey must start. He is our QB and RB. If we had a running game then QB would be up for grabs. Dungey is an amazing competitor, but IMO Mahoney seemed to know the O better. Problem was Mahoney stinks and we got nothing out of that knowledge. If TD knows the O then it should be a competition. But ultimately you can’t be one dimensional and Dungey has to be the guy.
Good post. If Eric can go through 3 progressions next year before taking off we will light it up.

There is almost no chance DeVito has a better command of his offense than Dungey come Sept 1 2018. None.

Therefore, there IS ZERO chance that DeVito beats out Dungey.

And that is without calculating the intangibles that Dungey brings to the equation. There is a reason that the defense died on the vine after the FSU game. They weren't too tired or too beat up. Okay. Maybe to a small degree. But primarily, their spirit had been stripped, as they knew that Dungey was likely done for the year.

Dungey has a rare character whose persona crosses over and commands respect from both the offense and defense. DeVito might have that someday. I hope he does. But in the next 12 months, he is not going to be able to flash that cred like Dungey.

Let's not overthink this. DeVito will see the field next year for a few chosen possessions, blowouts and in the case of injury. That's it. That's how it should be.

Spot on. Most Dino robots on here started the depth chant and Dino recruits chant after that FSU game. The dynamic of this team changed dramatically after that game. The only sig injury on D was Martin but this team was crushed when ED went down. Thats why I did get on The staff, fair or not, for not rallying the kids when their in field leader went down. ED is the qb of this team until he graduates, end of story.

Not to say I disagree completely, but if TD is the prototype, what's with the recruitment of Chance Amie? It's not like we absolutely had to have a QB this class, and he's the guy that was atop our board by all accounts. So we didn't just take him, we wanted him and went out and stole him back.

At this point I don't know that we as Cuse fans have a good idea of the prototype that Dino wants running the offense at a P5 level. Next year will be such an important year for the development of our program, but especially at the QB position.

Need to recruit a QB every single year. Some don’t pan out others get hurt. Can’t take a year off ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom