Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring practice - Quarterbacks - from press conference

I agree with this completely.

An not only has Dungey missed 1/3 of our games, he is usually hurt/limited in half of the games he does play. Nobody will convince me that his increase in interceptions and decrease in efficiency that occurred mid-year wasn’t mostly due to physical ailments.

I love Dungey but split time with TD the way Tebow and Leak were used wouldn’t be the worst thing. Both QBs can sling it and both are mobile (edge to Dungey’s legs and TD’s arm obviously) so the defense wouldn’t nessessarily know what’s coming just because a certain QB is in the game.

I vote for a 2/3 Dungey and 1/3 TD to start and change that mix if one QB is obviously progressing better throughout the season.

I still have nightmares of split time with Madei and Nunes. Please no! :)

I think it was Keith Downing who could purportedly throw the ball 70 yards from his knees. When asked about it he said it might be true but they don't have that play in the playbook.

I remember it as Malik Campbell, but either way it's a hilarious line.

Dungey is the qb. Like most fan bases in every sport, the new guy, the one no one has seen play, is the answer
Or we want the backup to have experience for the time when the starter inevitably gets injured for the season.

Either way though.

I vote for a 2/3 Dungey and 1/3 TD to start and change that mix if one QB is obviously progressing better throughout the season.
I’ve been advocating for this for quite a while.
Get TD some reps to either get him ready for ‘19 or if Dungey gets injured.

A bit more intense than the original Marrone model for bringing Nassib up to speed.

I remember it as Malik Campbell, but either way it's a hilarious line.
I remember it as Kevin Mason. I thought there was video, but I may be mistaken

I think the way to look at this is that Dungey is going to be the starter and should be the starter, and hopefully stays healthy and has a fantastic, COMPLETE, senior season. That being said, this is the first time in years that we have 3 highly regarded, A list QB recruits recruited by the staff that is coaching them on the depth chart behind the starter. Now Rex may shake out as 4th of 4 when all is said and done, but he was still recruited by this staff, for this system and he had some blue blood legit offers (although we can debate whether those were at QB or not lol).

This for me is the best I've felt about the QB depth chart since the days of McNabb. And I'm not exaggerating there.
Rex was a Shafer recruit. Coyle made a call I think to keep him interested, and as soon as Dino was hired, I believe he made an in home so he wouldn’t lose the whole class IIRC.

Rex was a Shafer recruit. Coyle made a call I think to keep him interested, and as soon as Dino was hired, I believe he made an in home so he wouldn’t lose the whole class IIRC.

Dino only retained 5 recruits that had verballed to Shafer’s staff. He eliminated more than he kept. So yes Rex originally verballed to Shafer’s but Dino chose to retain him. He didn’t have to.

Dino only retained 5 recruits that had verballed to Shafer’s staff. He eliminated more than he kept. So yes Rex originally verballed to Shafer’s but Dino chose to retain him. He didn’t have to.

I don’t think that means he was handpicked for the system in the same way TD and Chance were.

I never thought it possible, but if TD can move the team and score points this spring you just never know. If they grade out near equal I could see HCDB going with TD and playing for the future. When the lights come on though Dungey is a gamer. I still expect ED to start but August will be an epic battle. HCDB made it clear that the best player will play regardless of position.
There is almost no chance DeVito has a better command of his offense than Dungey come Sept 1 2018. None.

Therefore, there IS ZERO chance that DeVito beats out Dungey.

And that is without calculating the intangibles that Dungey brings to the equation. There is a reason that the defense died on the vine after the FSU game. They weren't too tired or too beat up. Okay. Maybe to a small degree. But primarily, their spirit had been stripped, as they knew that Dungey was likely done for the year.

Dungey has a rare character whose persona crosses over and commands respect from both the offense and defense. DeVito might have that someday. I hope he does. But in the next 12 months, he is not going to be able to flash that cred like Dungey.

Let's not overthink this. DeVito will see the field next year for a few chosen possessions, blowouts and in the case of injury. That's it. That's how it should be.

Last edited:
I don’t think that means he was handpicked for the system in the same way TD and Chance were.
Curious, because TD as a pro-style QB, and Chance as dual, are very different prospects. Handpicked for talent in Chance's case, maybe more than "for the system".

Yes, it was Downing. And I think he was the "favorite" going into spring practice (unless I am "misremembering"). I was at that spring game when McNabb finally got snaps as a redshirt freshman. There was never any doubt from that moment on - and I am certain the staff already knew that.
I heard about mcnabb all the time during my soph year which was his rs year, I think they knew he was the guy way before spring

Dungey's the man going into the season, but we're going to see DeVito and heaven forbid Dungey goes down again, DeVito takes over and never looks back.

ED is the starter but he will go down again. Our Oline and RB situation won’t make enough progress to take pressure off him. Whoever our backup is will get significant time and be thrown to the wolves.

I heard about mcnabb all the time during my soph year which was his rs year, I think they knew he was the guy way before spring
I met Donovan my junior year, his true freshman year. He was already playing with the hoops team, and my roommate was on the team. My other roommate, a football player and I went back to the locker room after a game and because McNabb didn’t play, he was good to leave early. We talked a bit in the tunnel and went our separate ways. My football playing roommate said then, matter of fact, that he was the next QB. They all knew.

I think the discussion is different if you say suggest Dino and his staff have the opportunity to reset the 2016 class back to the start. Would they have recruited Rex? I can’t really answer that. Probably not?
Once they made the decision to retain him in a recruiting class when they didn’t have to - he’s theirs. The guys who were Shafer recruits that Dino’s staff would have been stuck with if he was hired after signing day - those are shafer’s Recruits and they’re currently playing at UCONN and UMASS, to name a few.

There is almost no chance DeVito has a better command of his offense than Dungey come Sept 1 2018. None.

And that is without calculating the intangibles that Dungey brings to the equation. There is a reason that the defense died on the vine after the FSU game. They weren't too tired or too beat up. Okay. Maybe to a small degree. But primarily, their spirit had been stripped, as they knew that Dungey was likely done for the year.

Dungey has a rare character whose persona crosses over and commands respect from both the offense and defense. DeVito might have that someday. I hope he does. But in the next 12 months, he is not going to be able to flash that cred like Dungey.

Let's not overthink this. DeVito will see the field next year for a few chosen possessions, blowouts and in the case of injury. That's it. That's how it should be.

Zero chance? Lol

ED is the starter but he will go down again. Our Oline and RB situation won’t make enough progress to take pressure off him. Whoever our backup is will get significant time and be thrown to the wolves.

Disagree. Hidden in the last few games was an OL and running game that started to look like Bowling Greens.

I think ED is the starter unless he regresses *passing* (missed reads, INT, etc).

I think the discussion is different if you say suggest Dino and his staff have the opportunity to reset the 2016 class back to the start. Would they have recruited Rex? I can’t really answer that. Probably not?
Once they made the decision to retain him in a recruiting class when they didn’t have to - he’s theirs. The guys who were Shafer recruits that Dino’s staff would have been stuck with if he was hired after signing day - those are shafer’s Recruits and they’re currently playing at UCONN and UMASS, to name a few.

Exactly. Can’t say for sure - but I’d bet he wouldn’t have taken him. His delivery is too funky. If you look at TD - compact throwing motion, quick release, good footwork, accurate. Chance has some of those things - but has the arm to “flick it” 40 yards without much effort.

I hate to say it - but Rex has a brother that met Dino too. Along with Scoop? Famous family, strong FL school. It might not have been a good move to cut him loose.

AND that’s all to say I was impressed when he played. Looked a lot better than I thought he would.

Dungey made huge mistakes in the LSU, NCSt, and Miami games that put them behind schedule the whole game.

He's a great athlete and competitor, but IMO he's far from a great QB.

I think Devito is exactly what Babers wants in his offense, Jimmy G 2.o. A QB that can spin the ball and a good enough athlete to move in the pocket and extend plays.

We’ll have to see what input the new QB coach gives to HCDB.

Dungey made huge mistakes in the LSU, NCSt, and Miami games that put them behind schedule the whole game.

He's a great athlete and competitor, but IMO he's far from a great QB.

I think Devito is exactly what Babers wants in his offense, Jimmy G 2.o. A QB that can spin the ball and a good enough athlete to move in the pocket and extend plays.
Not to say I disagree completely, but if TD is the prototype, what's with the recruitment of Chance Amie? It's not like we absolutely had to have a QB this class, and he's the guy that was atop our board by all accounts. So we didn't just take him, we wanted him and went out and stole him back.

At this point I don't know that we as Cuse fans have a good idea of the prototype that Dino wants running the offense at a P5 level. Next year will be such an important year for the development of our program, but especially at the QB position.

Not to say I disagree completely, but if TD is the prototype, what's with the recruitment of Chance Amie? It's not like we absolutely had to have a QB this class, and he's the guy that was atop our board by all accounts. So we didn't just take him, we wanted him and went out and stole him back.

At this point I don't know that we as Cuse fans have a good idea of the prototype that Dino wants running the offense at a P5 level. Next year will be such an important year for the development of our program, but especially at the QB position.

I think Chance can make all the throws and was recruited for his arm. The fact that he has a big body that can also run is a huge bonus, which is why he was at the top of the board.

I think based on film that Chance is going to be special. His arm is as strong as if not stronger than Tommy gun and he can really run. We are unbelievably blessed to have these two.

Amen...aooy

AMEN! Alot of fans on this site seeing TD TAKING over the offense. LOVE the idea, but a healthy ED is our QB all day, everyday in the spring, summer, and fall. TD is our qb as long as he is healthy and capable. I LOVE TD and think he is the man going forward for 3 SOLID years!!!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom