Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert

While I agree that we didn't win much when DeVito threw a lot of passes, I'd also say in the games before the OL switch up we lost where he had big numbers we were fortunate he did, because the offense wasn't moving any other way.

So... it could have been worse for the offense? Comforting stuff, I suppose.

Yeah, it's probably just me. I felt like his 300+ yard, 3 TD game at Maryland was oddly entirely unimpressive. I mean, when he had time and the primary receiver was open he threw some darts and generated some big plays. Hopefully we see more of that and less of the stuff that was unproductive.

Yeah, it's probably just me. I felt like his 300+ yard, 3 TD game at Maryland was oddly entirely unimpressive. I mean, when he had time and the primary receiver was open he threw some darts and generated some big plays. Hopefully we see more of that and less of the stuff that was unproductive.

how many times in your everyday standard college game is the QB not throwing to his primary receiver? This O specially calls for it with the quick passing game. HCDB wants the ball out. But generally I don’t see college QBs scanning the field going through progressions.

how many times in your everyday standard college game is the QB not throwing to his primary receiver? This O specially calls for it with the quick passing game. HCDB wants the ball out. But generally I don’t see college QBs scanning the field going through progressions.
But good qbs make plays after scrambles or take dump down options al the time. I’m not sure it’s three options and then dump off but there is a lot of improvisation and safety valve passes in college.

Tommy was judged unfairly.

Dungey never made a bad call re pass or tuck it. It was to his detriment. He got hurt. But the dude never made the wrong call for that play in a vacuum. If you ever sat close to the sidelines Dungey was huge and probably could have beat up everyone on the team even Ravion Pierce. But remember what made him great was that run pass decision making and he never made the wrong call for that play itself.

Can’t expect that of Tommy.

I just hope the WRs can step their ing games up. They all sucked so bad other than Trish last year. I’d watch Air Force play and wish we had their WRs.

Tommy was judged unfairly.

Dungey never made a bad call re pass or tuck it. It was to his detriment. He got hurt. But the dude never made the wrong call for that play in a vacuum. If you ever sat close to the sidelines Dungey was huge and probably could have beat up everyone on the team even Ravion Pierce. But remember what made him great was that run pass decision making and he never made the wrong call for that play itself.

Can’t expect that of Tommy.

I just hope the WRs can step their ing games up. They all sucked so bad other than Trish last year. I’d watch Air Force play and wish we had their WRs.

Eric made the wrong call plenty of times.

He was far too prone to calling his own # and taking off with the ball.
Now, granted, he was great running the ball, but he often didn’t give the play time to develop.

Also, he very regularly locked in on 1 receiver, and if that guy wasn’t open, he’d either force it in anyway, or run it -
even if another WR was WIDE OPEN.

All of which irked his WR’s regularly.

Now, if you’re saying he never made the wrong call on leaving the ball with the RB on the mesh, vs. pulling it back out, I’ll take your word on it.

Eric made the wrong call plenty of times.

He was far too prone to calling his own # and taking off with the ball.
Now, granted, he was great running the ball, but he often didn’t give the play time to develop.

Also, he very regularly locked in on 1 receiver, and if that guy wasn’t open, he’d either force it in anyway, or run it -
even if another WR was WIDE OPEN.

All of which irked his WR’s regularly.

Now, if you’re saying he never made the wrong call on leaving the ball with the RB on the mesh, vs. pulling it back out, I’ll take your word on it.

I mean your kinda right. We were blessed with very good decision making and a fearless dude who usually was fine after getting clocked by a linebacker (which isn’t worth it long run) so that’s why we were frustrated watching someone else.

And Dungey didn’t have a blazing 40 time but he was GOOD at picking up 4 yards instead of throwing it away or taking a sack on a negative play.

I am a TD fan, so there is a tilt in my thoughts, but I think our OC loved his zip so much that the only pass plays he called were screens or flat outs. Kinda predictable. Our lack of running game never did enough to keep LBs and safeties honest (or the corners if we ever ran a sweep or even a run outside the tackles). That is likely on the line too. TD was IMO guilty of wanting the long ball too much (he too loved his arm). That played against the weakness of our line. That said, I see a lot of INT talk here, and he had 5. I think near the fewest in P5 despite what he was facing. One of them IIRC was a freak play where a bad attempt to throw it away was combined with a great athletic play by the CB (Clemson? Not sure). Did he make mistakes running out of bounds laterally or backwards? Did he force a pass or two? Yes. Did he slide too soon? Possibly, but from what I’ve heard he had busted ribs and was probably a bit “Chief Inspector Dreyfus” as was stated earlier. To blame him for not making magic when literally everyone else on his team failed in their jobs; well that’s not remotely fair. He’s a passer, as are so many great QBs. There is no requirement to be Barry Sanders or Jim Brown to be a good QB. It helps, but others have succeeded without those skills (Phil Simms, Eli Manning, Tom Brady are three such examples). I want to see more crossing patterns, more seam routes by the OC, and more restraint with Tommy’s need for the HR because he can.

Last edited: