Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert

I have been accustomed to not paying for more than 17 years. Hence my griping
I don't understand why you have to pay for it. I don't. When it asks for a subscription, I click on the X to close the window and read the article. :confused:

One thing thats unknown in these numbers.. how often were these throws under duress or throw aways.. I would say he threw alot more throws that were just pray and hope type than Burrow had.

How many times did Joe’s line collapse on those throws? How many NFL targets was Joe throwing to? Joe had a first round pick at RB too? How many times did Tommy’s wideouts give up on or confuse their routes?

Tommy’s nowhere near senior Burrows but this stat doesn’t tell the whole story. Lets stop acting like Tommy DeVito’s a bad quarterback. It is absolutely ridiculous. Our offense was awful last year and that is why coaches were replaced.

Tommy’s first season of criticism is making Cooney and Buddy blush.

How many times did Joe’s line collapse on those throws? How many NFL targets was Joe throwing to? Joe had a first round pick at RB too? How many times did Tommy’s wideouts give up on or confuse their routes?

Tommy’s nowhere near senior Burrows but this stat doesn’t tell the whole story. Lets stop acting like Tommy DeVito’s a bad quarterback. It is absolutely ridiculous. Our offense was awful last year and that is why coaches were replaced.

Tommy’s first season of criticism is making Cooney and Buddy blush.
Of course comparing him to Burrow is stupid.
31.8% vs the average of 46.7% is the issue. That's a huge difference and shocking.
Is Tommy a bad QB of course not.
Does he have work to do, yes.
Do the WRs need to do a better job, yes.
Does the OL need to do a better job, yes.
Does the OC need to do a better job, yes.

31.8% vs the average of 46.7% is the issue. That's a huge difference and shocking.

Couldn't say it better

Everyone on offense has a lot of work to do. That number is indicative of a large issue, with the offense as a whole. It starts with coaching and QB, but everyone needs to be better.

Frankly, for a Dino coached offense, we should NEVER see that number, and hopefully never will again

Of course there’s work to do, but these stats that feature Tommy near the bottom of the league are misleading. He’s got to improve his decision making and progressional reads, but otherwise he did alright imo.

The OL was historically bad.

Our Coaching Staff, as a whole, failed miserably developing and maintaining a run game despite having three good options.

Our wideouts were probably the weakest they’d been in the Dino era in regards to conditioning and execution.

Our offense was an absolute mess outside of TE. Wonder where we’d be right now had Dungey and Slayton not been here in 2018, but thats an entirely different discussion.

Tommy was known for his deep ball when he was recruited. He was dynamic with the deep ball in limited action with Dungey.

Rib injury had definitely changed how that ball was coming out and I recall him missing a lot of deep throws he usually hits after that injury.

And moral of the story: always be careful about trusting un-cited statistics from Twitter.

Tommy was known for his deep ball when he was recruited. He was dynamic with the deep ball in limited action with Dungey.

Rib injury had definitely changed how that ball was coming out and I recall him missing a lot of deep throws he usually hits after that injury.

And moral of the story: always be careful about trusting un-cited statistics from Twitter.
The source is ESPN writer David Hale. That company does quite a bit of work in compiling stats. It's okay to cite stats when you know where it's coming from.

And while Devito was obviously playing hurt last year, it doesn't change the fact that he didn't make great throws or great decisions for large stretches of the year.

I guess I would love to see the real numbers though.. tommy threw at almost 65%, if he threw 50% over 10 then his numbers on under 10 would be near 90%.

He had 6 games of close to 70% so how many deep balls did we throw in those games?

and throws over 10 is a huge number. we throw very few intermediate throws. so if we throw 5 a game and then are all 30+ throws our number is gonna be pretty low.

just look at the Maryland game. he was 72%. but he had multiple throw away throws over 10 yds..

let's face it folks, with the exception of our kicking game, the rest of the team was hot garbage for the first nine games of the season. By no means would I EVER compare Dino to GROB, but those first 9 games were the worst SU football I have seen since GROB, and yes that includes the last two dumpster fire seasons under Shafer. There is a reason why we have a new OC/QB coach, a new DC, and two other new defensive position coaches. The staff lost control of the locker room IMO, the OL was beyond putrid, the defense was hideous. Tommy is the most high profile guy on the roster, he is the QB and the biggest recruit of the Dino era, so the negative attention starts with him, but Rome was burning all around him as well

DeVito isn't immune from criticism for the offense last year, but he obviously wasn't the sole problem with the unit.

Remember also the WRs run a lot of hitches, hooks, slants, bubble screens, etc. with only a few deep posts, go routes every game. So there could be a lot of variance depending on how many deep shots they take.

Last edited:
The source is ESPN writer David Hale. That company does quite a bit of work in compiling stats. It's okay to cite stats when you know where it's coming from.

And while Devito was obviously playing hurt last year, it doesn't change the fact that he didn't make great throws or great decisions for large stretches of the year.

I don't believe the #'s are statistically significant. Without knowing how many throws it was, I am not sure anything meaningful can be extrapolated from those numbers.

Was Devito the worst QB in all of college football (116 of 116 per those stats) on throws over 10 yards in terms of completion percentage in the nation? Sounds like it with that information. He completed 63 % of throws overall. If he is 31 % overall on throws over 10 yards, then he was likely one of the best QB in the nation on throws under 10 yards.

Keeping the numbers simple, if he was 31/100 on throws over 10 yards (which is only around 8 a game), that means he was 77 % on throws under 10 yards, would think that is Top 5.

Decision making and getting protection are the 2 most important things to happen for Tommy Devito to have a successful 2020 (if there is a 2020). Intermediate/Deep ball accuracy is not a concern, IMO.

I don't believe the #'s are statistically significant. Without knowing how many throws it was, I am not sure anything meaningful can be extrapolated from those numbers.

Was Devito the worst QB in all of college football (116 of 116 per those stats) on throws over 10 yards in terms of completion percentage in the nation? Sounds like it with that information. He completed 63 % of throws overall. If he is 31 % overall on throws over 10 yards, then he was likely one of the best QB in the nation on throws under 10 yards.

Keeping the numbers simple, if he was 31/100 on throws over 10 yards (which is only around 8 a game), that means he was 77 % on throws under 10 yards, would think that is Top 5.

Decision making and getting protection are the 2 most important things to happen for Tommy Devito to have a successful 2020 (if there is a 2020). Intermediate/Deep ball accuracy is not a concern, IMO.
You don't need a huge base size to get statistical significance for the delta between 46% and 31%. It's a big gap. And who cares if it is statistically significant? It's still bad. 31% does indicate that intermediate / deep ball accuracy is a concern, as his lousy decision-making wasn't the only problem the 70% of the time when he didn't complete a longer throw.

And who cares if he was accurate under 10 yards if it didn't move the sticks (which it did not this past season)?

I’m not expecting Tommy to be up where Burrow was, but is the top 70 or 80 too much to ask? Even that would be in the bottom half, but presumably much better.

You don't need a huge base size to get statistical significance for the delta between 46% and 31%. It's a big gap. And who cares if it is statistically significant? It's still bad. 31% does indicate that intermediate / deep ball accuracy is a concern, as his lousy decision-making wasn't the only problem the 70% of the time when he didn't complete a longer throw.

And who cares if he was accurate under 10 yards if it didn't move the sticks (which it did not this past season)?

Statistical significance is everything. Stats can lie to you. Look at INT and decision making as it relates to Tommy (doubt anyone agrees he made good decisions, but 5 INT's is traditionally how decision making is measured in QB's and that got him compared with Baker Mayfield).
Most of his deep ball issues (per my eyes) coincided with the rib injury (underthrowing balls, out of character from what we had seen up to that point) and the fact I highly, highly doubt that throwaways have been removed.

The above is interesting, because it appears the only spot Syracuse was serviceable on offense in 2019 was explosive plays.

It was an everybody problem in terms of moving the sticks.

We will go in circles about the validity of the stat and what you can take away from it as it relates to Tommy. Personally think it is a throw-away stat.

Tommy decision making has to improve and it will. He knew how the O line was going to be prior to the opener. At the same time it was a historically bad line. I still dont want to see his percentages at the bottom of P5 QB's though.

Statistical significance is everything. Stats can lie to you. Look at INT and decision making as it relates to Tommy (doubt anyone agrees he made good decisions, but 5 INT's is traditionally how decision making is measured in QB's and that got him compared with Baker Mayfield).
Most of his deep ball issues (per my eyes) coincided with the rib injury (underthrowing balls, out of character from what we had seen up to that point) and the fact I highly, highly doubt that throwaways have been removed.

The above is interesting, because it appears the only spot Syracuse was serviceable on offense in 2019 was explosive plays.

It was an everybody problem in terms of moving the sticks.

We will go in circles about the validity of the stat and what you can take away from it as it relates to Tommy. Personally think it is a throw-away stat.
1) I work in a stats field.
2) I asked Hale if the stat includes throwaways on Twitter, but he didn't answer.
3) In 2018, Devito was very inconsistent (ineffective against WMU, awesome against UNC, awful against ND), and he didn't seem to be anymore comfortable or consistent in 2019.

I get you're trying to find a silver lining here. But there isn't really one. Yes, Devito was under pressure a lot and probably played most of the season hurt, but he was very risk averse and got rid of the ball too quickly in numerous situations instead of taking a chance downfield. Usually on 3rd down.