Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Spring QB Preview: Tommy DeVito set to begin work with Sterlin Gilbert

He looked very good in relief effort for ED in 2018 (FSU, UNC). My conclusion is that the OL and pressure really messed with his head and confidence.

I think a better OL and working with Gilbert now will do wonders for him. I expect him to really get going this year and set himself up to make a run at All-ACC his senior season.
Agreed, he looked really good against NC and wasn't asked to do much against Fl St but was solid nonetheless. The ND game exposed his weakness, which IMO, is his LOS reads. Making adjustments at the LOS is highly under rated skill.

The good news is this skill can be learned and hopefully he is spending hours upon hours watching film with Gilbert. TD's physical skills have never been questioned. Assuming the OL is functional and once his mental preparedness catches up he could be All-ACC.

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think a great deal of TD’s issues - beyond the OL - was coaching. I think the staff was surprised at how ineffective the OL was - it was epically bad. I think they didn’t want TD to run because they didn’t want him to get hurt, and the first few games resulted in trying to coach TD to hang in there while the OL collapsed time and time again. This resulted in quick throws and INTs, and WRs who looked out of synch. Finally, when it became apparent that the OL issues were not getting solved, they let TD run - hell he was more likely to get hurt if he didn’t. But that’s not his game, and the O wasn’t functioning like that. Finally in the last third of the season, the OL developed a little, and TD was allowed to just throw the ball away - even if that was frustrating.

Don’t get me wrong, I have full confidence in HCDB, but TD was getting jerked every which way because there was no quick fix to the OL.
I’m optimistic that we won’t have OL issues like that extreme this year.

Last edited:
Its a combination of things. There needs to be improvement in protection, decision making, coaching. That's the order of it in my mind. His grit, mental toughness, leadership ability will all be strengths of his when those top 3 things are addressed.

You either don't watch a lot of football or you are very prone to hyperbole.
I'm a Browns fan. I've seen several QBs over the past 20 years that make TDs decisions look common.

Using the Browns as a measuring stick, isn't a great. You obviously didn't watch a lot of SU football last year, or you are unable to be critical. No need to get sensitive, were on the same team good buddy. I watched DeVito slide before defenders were within 10 yards of him. I saw him fall to the ground, with no contact. Unless the QB is seriously, seriously, hurt, I've never seen a QB do that. I watched him make some ugly throws and make some ugly decisions. Do I think Tommy is a bad QB? No. Do I think he has the potential to be great? Yes. Do I like him as a person and wish nothing but the best for him? Absolutely.

You can get defensive and attack me if you want, but if you don't think Tommy had a rough year last year (whether it be the o-line, his coordinators, his wr, or whatever else you want to blame it on) you're wrong. He also did some good things and he obviously has talent.

Using the Browns as a measuring stick, isn't a great. You obviously didn't watch a lot of SU football last year, or you are unable to be critical. No need to get sensitive, were on the same team good buddy. I watched DeVito slide before defenders were within 10 yards of him. I saw him fall to the ground, with no contact. Unless the QB is seriously, seriously, hurt, I've never seen a QB do that. I watched him make some ugly throws and make some ugly decisions. Do I think Tommy is a bad QB? No. Do I think he has the potential to be great? Yes. Do I like him as a person and wish nothing but the best for him? Absolutely.

You can get defensive and attack me if you want, but if you don't think Tommy had a rough year last year (whether it be the o-line, his coordinators, his wr, or whatever else you want to blame it on) you're wrong. He also did some good things and he obviously has talent.
I wouldnt blame anyone who played QB under that line to slide early. it reminds me of my troubles playing baseball, i would flinch when the ball was thrown cause i was scared it would hit me. same scenario with TD imo

Playing under that pressure last year would make anyone look like inspector Dreyfus:
nQcJvqKXn5XDW.gif

I have a feeling TD is gonna be just fine this year.

Last edited:

Well said. We all want him to be great. He has the tools to do that. Some of us including me can get defensive when it comes to certain players or issues with the team. We are all passionate about the team and want them to do well. I just think its a shallow view when people say its the offensive line.

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I think a great deal of TD’s issues - beyond the OL - was coaching. I think the staff was surprised at how ineffective the OL was - it was epically bad. I think they didn’t want TD to run because they didn’t want him to get hurt, and the first few games resulted in trying to coach TD to hang in there while the OL collapsed time and time again. This resulted in quick throws and INTs, and WRs who looked out of synch. Finally, when it became apparent that the OL issues were not getting solved, they let TD run - hell he was more likely to get hurt if he didn’t. But that’s not his game, and the O wasn’t functioning like that. Finally in the last third of the season, the OL developed a little, and TD was allowed to just throw the ball away - even if that was frustrating.

Don’t get me wrong, I have full confidence in HCDB, but TD was getting jerked every which way because there was no quick fix to the OL.
I’m optimistic that we won’t have OL issues like that extreme this year.

I don't think that the staff was "surprised" by the OL at all. Privately, they were quite concerned about it after spring practice last year. They were hoping that the group would get healthy, and the transfer would be able to provide better play than what he did. Instead, we had guys injured throughout preseason camp, we had to shuffle players around which prevented them from settling in or developing any semblance of chemistry, and Alexander flopped, then quit.

Devito also started out poorly. But the positive aspect of being thrown to the wolves is you take your lumps and learn. He got better as the season went on in terms of decision making and not throwing picks. And I agree that by the time the line gelled after the personnel changes, Devito was better.

The hope is that he'll take the hard knock lessons from last year and build upon it by working hard this offseason, that returning 4 OL will go a long way towards sustaining the improvement that unit displayed over the last 1/3 of last year, and that the re-emergence of the running game that coincided with the OL's improvement will also benefit Devito.

I agree that the coaching was an issue. Happy Martin has been replaced.

Last edited:
I was at the Duke game. It was a cold, windy day and hard to judge him fairly. BL: it was a huge victory and the defense put us in a great place to win without throwing too much.

I expect we'll see improvement on his decision making. If there is little chance to gain any yards with your legs on a roll out: throw it away before the defense forces you out of bounds. Much better to be 2nd and 10 than 2nd and 12 or 13. We saw too much of that and put too much pressure on the offense for 2nd or 3rd down.

This Fall I expect TD to elevate with better QB coaching and team execution. I can see him in the Top 3-4 QBs in the conference this year. The good folks at 247 ranked him 9th best back in February but I think that is too low.
Duke game the wind was crazy the punts were all over the place and with. A big lead not really a need for a lot of throws

Agreed on the wind just pointing out that it was a nice win (given how the rest of our season played out) and it all came on the ground. We put liberty away by not taking any chances throwing the ball. TD didn't really play vs. Wake. Western Mich was the only game we won where tommy had a big day throwing the ball.

Also agree on throwing the ball away. Needs to be able to make a throw on the run as well. Think that's a concern but hopefully it improves.

He had the worst OL in college football. A QB coach who wasn't one. An OC who lost his Job.
TD is the least of our worries.

Agreed -- so we'll see how things go this year. I don't know that I'd go nearly as far as to say he's the least of our worries -- I would tend to think we have positions that I feel much better about, but I'm just not ready to get in line with the 'Tommy's going to be great this year sentiment.' Hope I'm wrong and i very well could be. Just haven't seen a ton of evidence that gets me super excited yet. I'm sure he's done it but I can't really recall his making a play out of nothing by scrambling and hitting someone downfield on the run. Feel like he struggles in the red zone. Feel like decision-making in general -- 4th downs, running OB instead of throwing it away, etc. -- are concenring. Think he's got solid speed straight ahead but doesn't move much laterally.

I'm with everyone -- the blame for the disaster that was last year can be spread around to many parties and Tommy may be among the least culpable. Just not sure I'm ready to say he's a top 4 acc qb.

I don't think that the staff was "surprised" by the OL at all. Privately, they were quite concerned about it after spring practice last year. They were hoping that the group would get healthy, and the transfer would be able to provide better play than what he did. Instead, we had guys injured throughout preseason camp, we had to shuffle players around which prevented them from settling in or developing any semblance of chemistry, and Alexander flopped, then quit.

Devito also started out poorly. But the positive aspect of being thrown to the wolves is you take your lumps and learn. He got better as the season went on in terms of decision making and not throwing picks. And I agree that by the time the line gelled after the personnel changes, Devito was better.

The hope is that he'll take the hard knock lessons from last year and build upon it by working hard this offseason, that returning 4 OL will go a long way towards sustaining the improvement that unit displayed over the last 1/3 of last year, and that the re-emergence of the running game that coincided with the OL's improvement will also benefit Devito.

I agree that the coaching was an issue. Happy Martin has been replaced.

Agreed. Whatever anyone thinks of TD -- and clearly i'm on the not totally sold side -- whatever he is or isn't is going to be helped dramatically if we can run the ball effectively and if we have an offense that is run by a competent coordinator. We need to be able to attack the middle of the field at times in the passing game, etc. But whatever he is or isn't a strong running game and solid OL play would be enormous.

Has the tools now just be a gamer. Line should be better and soIm hoping him and Taj can have that same chemistry ED had with Etta Tawo and Ish. Need to get more production from the slots also.
I've been critical of TD here but I will say that young QBs tend to struggle attacking the middle of the field. Remember Clausen at ND really struggling with that as a frosh and soph but then being much better as a junior. Now, maybe it was the offensive gameplan, but we have some talent in the slot and at TE. We have to be better attacking the seam. Hopefully that comes with time (and maybe a different system under gilbert).

Agreed on the wind just pointing out that it was a nice win (given how the rest of our season played out) and it all came on the ground. We put liberty away by not taking any chances throwing the ball. TD didn't really play vs. Wake. Western Mich was the only game we won where tommy had a big day throwing the ball.

Also agree on throwing the ball away. Needs to be able to make a throw on the run as well. Think that's a concern but hopefully it improves.

IDK. You're down playing his season more than is fair i think. He was 213/337 good for 63%. 2,360 yards 19 TDs and 5 INTS all while getting murdered. Sacked 44x. The yards are good for 8th all-time single season. 19 to 5 is pretty darn good to.

He gets a lot of praise for 2018 but his numbers were way better in 2019. Its an upward trend.

Improved line play and running game, I think his game will take off.

Last edited:
And here we go. A bunch of articles I will never be able to read. But I am not paying your ransom Syracuse.com!

They're usually free after a couple days.

I've been critical of TD here but I will say that young QBs tend to struggle attacking the middle of the field. Remember Clausen at ND really struggling with that as a frosh and soph but then being much better as a junior. Now, maybe it was the offensive gameplan, but we have some talent in the slot and at TE. We have to be better attacking the seam. Hopefully that comes with time (and maybe a different system under gilbert).
No doubt.

Everybody on the offensive side from oline...to qb...to rb and wr all have skin in the game of success. As does the oc. I would expect improvement from everyone but there is a ton of focus and fairly so on the oline.
A quick side note. Watch the games TD played filling in for ED. Watch the way he ran. I think between injury and coaching it really messed up TDs running last year. If he is healthy and the line gives him the protection he needs, I think you will not only see him throwing better but running much better. I think last year was a growth year, I think this year he plays much better and you will see him run way better. Which is important to this offense. QB has to move the chains with his arm and legs.

The type of sideline conversations made between Dino and TD tells you the story also. Dino was very consoling after missed opportunities early in the season. Towards the end of the season his demeanor changed and Dino's conversations showed more frustration. Im sure TD's decision making within the scheme was caused mostly by a shaky O line. Im also sure the coaches made some adjustments to allow TD to make easier choices when things broke down. That part of his evaluation can't be ignored either. At that point safe plays were called and safe throws were made. New QB coach, new play caller. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

I'm not defensive about TD at all. My loyalty is to SU. The Browns went through some college studs who were more successful at the college level than most of SUs QBs and I've seen many plays from the likes of Tim Couch, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Johnny Manziel and Deshone Kizer that were equal to or worse than TDs negative highlights. Now, that is only one NFL team out of the whole universe of college and pro teams. Have you watched Rutgers QBs??? If you watch a lot of football, you will see tons of odd QB play, and yes, TD has had his share, but I don't think his decisions are so much worse than every other QB, which was your point. I think that's probably indicative of being hyper focused on TD's mistakes so you aren't objectively placing him on the spectrum of QB play. I apologize for being acerbic with my initial response.

I'm not defensive about TD at all. My loyalty is to SU. The Browns went through some college studs who were more successful at the college level than most of SUs QBs and I've seen many plays from the likes of Tim Couch, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Johnny Manziel and Deshone Kizer that were equal to or worse than TDs negative highlights. Now, that is only one NFL team out of the whole universe of college and pro teams. Have you watched Rutgers QBs??? If you watch a lot of football, you will see tons of odd QB play, and yes, TD has had his share, but I don't think his decisions are so much worse than every other QB, which was your point. I think that's probably indicative of being hyper focused on TD's mistakes so you aren't objectively placing him on the spectrum of QB play. I apologize for being acerbic with my initial response.
Good points. We spend a lot of time watching our team. Its no different than the fans of other teams who dissect every flaw their QB's have. We dont see the things they see because we dont watch them as much.

Good points. I have great hopes for the TE position this year. They’re ready to bust out.

While I agree that we didn't win much when DeVito threw a lot of passes, I'd also say in the games before the OL switch up we lost where he had big numbers we were fortunate he did, because the offense wasn't moving any other way.

So... it could have been worse for the offense? Comforting stuff, I suppose.