Spring roster is up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring roster is up

The only guys that weren’t at the bottom of my depth chart were Parkman and Roon.

LB is loaded so that makes sense for Roon, kid can play somewhere. Parkman, 5 scholarship Rb’s is crowded, and the new staff is going to favor guys they brought in when lining up who is behind Allen.

Believe Roon can play a lot of places now but with Heard coming aboard and Wax returning he'd have been a year out and possibly still recruited over.

Parkman looked ok but the level of recruits coming in along with Laquint ahead of him meant he wasn't ever going to start here.

Suffering from success as it were

Yeah there has to be more changes with the OL coming. But good to see some of the players that weren’t a fit moving on.

I count 15 OL guys on the roster now which is perfect. Even if a couple more arrive in August I’d roll with them all. Cream of the group will rise to the top and injuries happen as we know.

Of the 15, 5 are seniors, 5 are juniors 3 RF, 1 Tf, 1 So. So loose 10 kids over the next two seasons is a lot. Imho, we’re better off keeping everyone as is for now and then working on replacing the 5 seniors and the attrition after this season. If you can make an upgrade now that’s fine but I find it hard to believe.

WOW. Looks like a legit P5 roster now.

I *heart* that both Frosh RB’s are coming in at 200+ lbs.
No need to wait for them to bulk up enough to grow into the role.
(Which is likely why Parkman - whom I really liked - he gone.)

Kinda surprised Cohoon still around.
Either that means the staff thinks he has potential,
or he’s gonna wait til after the Spring Game to portal.
Cohoon was recruited by Johnson who is still in the staff. Maybe he spoke up for him or he has the spring to prove himself.

Early departures

John Branham, Jr RB R-Sr.

Muwaffaq Parkman RB R-Fr.

Kendall Long WR R-Jr.

Austyn Kauhi OL R-Jr.

Khalib Gilmore LB R-Sr.

Austin Roon LB R-Jr.

Max von Marburg P R-So.

Belizaire Bassette DL R-So.

Very excited to see more roster spots open up. I'd expect the coaching staff to be extremely active post-spring practice, when a new flurry of players enter the portal.

Of the players listed above, I really hope Branham lands on his feet somewhere and is able to finish school. Kid had a pretty remarkable story.

I count 15 OL guys on the roster now which is perfect. Even if a couple more arrive in August I’d roll with them all. Cream of the group will rise to the top and injuries happen as we know.

Of the 15, 5 are seniors, 5 are juniors 3 RF, 1 Tf, 1 So. So loose 10 kids over the next two seasons is a lot. Imho, we’re better off keeping everyone as is for now and then working on replacing the 5 seniors and the attrition after this season. If you can make an upgrade now that’s fine but I find it hard to believe.

You counting the 4 kids who aren't here yet?

Codie Hornsby
Travis Brown-Miller
Willie Goodacre
Xavier Miles

You counting the 4 kids who aren't here yet?

Codie Hornsby
Travis Brown-Miller
Willie Goodacre
Xavier Miles

No I didn’t. I’d roll with 18 then, that becomes 13 after this season. Bridge gap to the development of the younger players.

I don’t count any walk-ons in the totals

There’s no sense in pushing any of the 10 upperclassman out the door when we don’t know how the newcomers are going to perform.

The prior staff didn’t trust Davis to even attempt a forward pass, and chose to play him at WR for a bit.

I’m not gonna be holding my breath on him at QB.

But who knows?
New staff means new eyes and new opportunities for everybody.

CDRW and Davis were both 4 star recruits. How much opportunity have they had to really show what they can do? Fans take snapshots and think that that is all a plyer can ever be.

In modern college football you need a quality #2 guy and a #3 guy who isn't a deer in the headlights.

DL looks LOADED, inside and out.

OL looks like improved depth / quality.

Trenches are important.
Check out McCord's release. Wow. Very quick, fluid motion, nice spiral, footwork is tight. And he's got two quality TE's, and a bunch of speedy WR's, to throw to. I'm also excited to see Willis run the ball. Measureables are impressive. Secondary is still a WIP and there will be some attrition. DL is ACC level.

Last edited:
The only guys that weren’t at the bottom of my depth chart were Parkman and Roon.

LB is loaded so that makes sense for Roon, kid can play somewhere. Parkman, 5 scholarship Rb’s is crowded, and the new staff is going to favor guys they brought in when lining up who is behind Allen.
Yeah and that 4 star out of NJ we flipped from Pitt looks physically ready to see the field if he picks up the offense.

Branham/Kauhi/Vor Marburg/Long/Gilmore I completely expected. Branham/Gilmore were late roster filler last year. Buxton seems to be the only survivor from that group of JUCO's / Transfers.

I think the writing was on the wall for Parkman once Hart and Willis enrolled early. 4 RB's is really the ideal number and if for some reason you have a major run on injuries then that's where your PWO's come in.

Roon/Bassette - probably a case of too many people in front of them to really be necessary for PT this year barring an extreme amount of injuries and with the way the staff has been recruiting the Defensive side of the ball, probably would have been recruited over by the time they had a chance to get more serious PT. Probably best for all involved.

This is promising to me - I believe this puts us at 86 total right now - makes the staff flexible if they want to add a few more targets of opportunity from the portal. We had a very imbalanced roster during Dino's last few seasons so some of this is unfortunately necessary correction.

No I didn’t. I’d roll with 18 then, that becomes 13 after this season. Bridge gap to the development of the younger players.

I don’t count any walk-ons in the totals

There’s no sense in pushing any of the 10 upperclassman out the door when we don’t know how the newcomers are going to perform.
I believe we're at 86 right now counting everyone who will be here come fall. So there still is going to be some more movement coming out of Spring Ball.

Yes, injuries will happen. I hope they don't, especially to needed, talented players.

I hope the OL will protect Kyle McCord, we lose him and we're in trouble.

Kind of wish we had a very good 2 deep QB who we could depend on IF something bad happens - hoping nothing does.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom