Spring Tryouts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Tryouts

I understand two students who participated in this tryout have joined the program as walk-ons and are in the spring strength and conditioning program. One linebacker and one defensive lineman? I think this is so cool. A chance to chase a dream and help the team.

Walk-ons serve many roles in a program. Initially they are used on the scout teams that the first team offense and first team defense practice against as they prepare for games. This allows scholarship players to focus on the gameplan. Every year it seems like a couple of walk-ons work their way into contributing roles on special teams. Last season Ryan Dolan played more than 100 snaps on special teams and in 2022 AJ Calabro played close to 100 snaps on special teams.

You may remember AJ Calabro. He was a captain when we played Rutgers in 2021. The game was played on the 20th anniversary of 9-11. In honor of his father, Sal Calabro who was a firefighter for NYFD and passed away at the twin towers that day, AJ was named a captain for the Rutgers game.

I was at that game. It gave me chills to watch AJ walk out that day as a captain.

While at Syracuse AJ Calabro received a scholarship award in 2022 from the Markus Paul Foundation. The Markus Paul Foundation was founded in 2021 after Markus' death in 2020. The foundation has awarded scholarship funds to walk-ons in the football program since its establishment; AJ Calabro in 2022, and Nate Wellington in 2023. I'm looking forward to seeing who the Foundation recognizes this year.

AJ Calabro is currently in law school at Rutgers and is the founder of Calabro Sports Counsel. Calabro Sports Counsel represents athletes in contact negotiations, NIL deals, brand development and marketing.

The Markus Paul foundation will have a golf tournament at the Tuscarora Golf Club in Marcellus, New York this year on June 3rd.
The team used to have open tryouts in the 90’s I believe run by Coach DeLeone so this makes a lot of sense as a tie to his lineage that so many of our new staff are a proud part of. My own roommate took part in this and ultimately made the team as a walk-on after his second try (broke his wrist the first try, so they didn’t give him a spot). He was on the ‘95 squad and can be seen wearing #47 in my avatar. Credit to Coach P who not only embraced the idea, but also got him his only snaps in the bowl game, our most lopsided victory over Clemson to date, so he could get his varsity letter.

To be accurate, Jim Brown wasn't a walkon. There were scholarship issues and his tuition etc. was privately financed.
But I believe he was an unknown for football. He initially went for lacrosse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom