Squaring something with the portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Squaring something with the portal

Entering the portal is not all about NIL. The end of the bench may just want to play and dropping down in conference strength might just offer them that. Ie. Patterson going to Siena. Heck they could be just looking for court time. So there will always be some movement there.
Patterson is going to Siena??

It seems (at least) 2 things are true when it comes to the portal:

1, there is more money flowing to transfer players than anticipated

2, some percentage of guys in the portal end up without a destination

dasher recently commented about some uncertainty around how successful we may be adding players to the roster at this point from the portal, presumably because Lampkin's shenanigans may have impacted our ability to pursue talent.

But are we also not expecting that in this game of musical chairs there are some decent players that won't be guys that command a bag, but if they have to choose between being on a scholarship somewhere to play basketball vs not, they'll want to make sure they can play somewhere?

I'm just having a hard time squaring the money with the scarcity of roster spots. Not to be crass, but it seems like inevitably there's a "bargain bin" shopping phase to the portal, and I feel like we should be positioned to pull a surprise or two there given we have scholarship room and outside playing time opportunities at point guard, forward and center. If a player has multiple years of eligibility left and ends up being roster fodder, it's just not a big deal because they can play musical chairs in the portal the next year, but now with added experience under their belt at a school in a top conference.

Basically, how to portal flyers work in this era of college basketball? Because I don't think having unused scholarships is a sound strategy for us.

Yes, like NBA teams picking up guys on a veteran's minimum contract.
You would have to think that some guys at mid-majors should be available.
I think the latest stats were that 60-75% of people who portal don't get a Division 1 landing spot. Many have to move down a level or give up their scholarship.

Or maybe Carey just loves GMAC and GMAC loves him back?

When I was 23 years old, I had two offers for jobs on the table... I took the one paying me less because the job description and the interview with my prospective boss implied I would have time to play video games on the clock. That was important to me at that point in my life.

It's not always about money :)

Or maybe Carey just loves GMAC and GMAC loves him back?

When I was 23 years old, I had two offers for jobs on the table... I took the one paying me less because the job description and the interview with my prospective boss implied I would have time to play video games on the clock. That was important to me at that point in my life.

It's not always about money :)
I'm 60. I have turned down several offers that would have paid me more money. A couple were even in town. But my current company is serious about work/life balance. I actually got an email from our CFO once telling me to take time off because a report showed I was working all the time. That was when I found out my division lead never submitted days off to HR, for years! The grass isn't always greener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom