St Bonaventure Gameday... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

St Bonaventure Gameday...

I think a key issue regarding PT for third line middies involves next's year's needs for the second line. Our attack and first line mids will be pretty stacked. But with Kirst and Simmons gone, some combination of Kempney, Cordes, White, Borges, Cohen, Lewis, White et al will need step into more significant roles.

I think a key issue regarding PT for third line middies involves next's year's needs for the second line. Our attack and first line mids will be pretty stacked. But with Kirst and Simmons gone, some combination of Kempney, Cordes, White, Borges, Cohen, Lewis, White et al will need step into more significant roles.

My guess is Simmons and Kirst will primarily be replaced by transfers. And those transfers ideally will be strong dodgers from either attack or midfield. It is very telling how much a guy like John Cohen flashed last night as someone who could beat his man or create space, as the top 9 we play on offense really struggle in that department. With all the elite shooters we have, we need dodgers to compliment them.

powells weren't big kids. ryan maybe but casey and mikey were small and shifty. ideally you have a couple cannons out top ,feeder behind and dodgers in the crease.

As MF noted I think there will be at least 1 middie transfer next year possibly 2. Kempney can dodge but is still getting used to the speed of D1. As Powellfan noted he really should have red-shirted. I also wouldn't be surprised if Leo moved back to attack, he's our best dodging attackmen and the staff seems dead set on leaving Thomson at midfield.

My guess is Simmons and Kirst will primarily be replaced by transfers. And those transfers ideally will be strong dodgers from either attack or midfield. It is very telling how much a guy like John Cohen flashed last night as someone who could beat his man or create space, as the top 9 we play on offense really struggle in that department. With all the elite shooters we have, we need dodgers to compliment them.
Think the main reason Kirst moved down to attack is so we have that extra dodging ability. Spallinas game, at least in these early stages, is not all about dodging and drawing slides against a long pole. He is a big piece of the puzzle, especially with his feeding ability, but that’s not his main way of contributing. You would have a bad time putting a short stick on him too.

I actually like our dodging at middie a lot. Rhoa and Leo are both really good at getting separation. Thomson and Simmons make things happen in their own way. But we will need someone that can consistently intimidate a long pole match up besides Hiltz once Kirst is gone. Maybe moving Leo to attack is the answer and move spallina to the right wing? Hard to say.

Think the main reason Kirst moved down to attack is so we have that extra dodging ability. Spallinas game, at least in these early stages, is not all about dodging and drawing slides against a long pole. He is a big piece of the puzzle, especially with his feeding ability, but that’s not his main way of contributing. You would have a bad time putting a short stick on him too.

I actually like our dodging at middie a lot. Rhoa and Leo are both really good at getting separation. Thomson and Simmons make things happen in their own way. But we will need someone that can consistently intimidate a long pole match up besides Hiltz once Kirst is gone. Maybe moving Leo to attack is the answer and move spallina to the right wing? Hard to say.

I don't think moving Leo to attack would work as long as Hiltz is in the lineup. Watching his games in high school he operated mostly from the lefty wing (same as Hiltz), hardly ever going behind goal. Him playing midfield actually makes a lot of sense I think. Hopefully by next year he'll be a lot more confident.

Agree that moving Kirst to attack was to add another dodger to the attack. He has been good down there but I can't help but think he could improve his dodging. Most of his moves mostly involve slamming his body into the opposing defender to create space. There isn't a lot of footwork or speed involved in what he does. Still I think moving him has been the right move as it keeps some pressure off Spallina and Hiltz.

Not to think too much about next year but I'm curious how Trey Deere fits in. Watching Simmons and Thomson share a "Canadian Connection" (ie the pretty give and go against the Bonnies) has made me wonder if that could be duplicated next year for the left side of the field with Hiltz and Deere. I do think Simmons will be a big loss, he has struggled with his shot but watching him mesh with Thomson has been really encouraging to watch. I have to imagine that has made the freshman more comfortable. I think Deere has the most potential of next years freshmen to see playing time, probably as a midfielder.

If you are looking to add another dodger to the attack line, I'd have to imagine that would have to come from the portal.

powells weren't big kids. ryan maybe but casey and mikey were small and shifty. ideally you have a couple cannons out top ,feeder behind and dodgers in the crease.
Casey was not small, he was like 6'1" or so and solid

Man I wish these mid major games they used to try and find wing players who might be GB hawks. Some guys have it and some don't. We know our Fogos aren't gonna turn into TD this season so the only thing that can help is Gb hawks at the wing. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the FOGOs are working there ass off and I'm sure by next season will be much improved with hard work but we cant expect them to all of a sudden win 55% against ACC comp. I wonder how the Maryland and Duke game ends up if they didn't double the possessions on SU. SU can't give these top teams left so many extra possessions so the only way to close the gap some and give the team a fighting chance is to get GBs. I love Rice he's a solid DM with a lot is speed but he's just not a Gb hawk. Two GBs in 9 games playing the wing tells us that. Why not try anyone even if they don't get much Pt. It's not ideal to have someone who is not going back on D or on O but they have no choice they have to even out possessions so try and find someone who is a ball hawk and they can get the team possession then dump it off and head off or maybe someone like Leo could do it? I know Murphy was pretty good at LIU but they don't seem to wanna use him at all so try anyone. Aviles is solid and Rosa isnt the fastest but he's tough and will fight for a Gb. Rice just GBs isn't his thing so why keep sending him out there when the team is struggling at the dot and giving these other teams so many extra possessions? U see with Rice he will be there but can't scoop it and that's fine he's a solid DM so try someone else. Idk just feel like we know our FOGOs are trying but right now can't keep up with the top FOGOs in the ACC so the only possible way to help even out possessions is having ball hawks at the wing. Try something different because the first 9 games nothing has changed and obviously won't unless change is made, I'm not taking a shot at the coaches I respect them and think they will eventually bring a championship back to SU I just wonder why they haven't tried other guys. Could be suprised at who's a ball hawk u never know. What do u guys think? I mean if they can even out the possessions then having a top goalie like Will Mark gives the team a chance to win. They might be able to steal a game from one of these top teams. Idk

It's just weird that wing play was an issue last yr and now due to the face off situation it's even more important this yr yet the same guys from last yr have been out there all this yr and it's been a major issue. Why not try different ppl and maybe find someone who really has a knack for it. What's the definition of insanity? Lol

Man I wish these mid major games they used to try and find wing players who might be GB hawks. Some guys have it and some don't. We know our Fogos aren't gonna turn into TD this season so the only thing that can help is Gb hawks at the wing. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the FOGOs are working there ass off and I'm sure by next season will be much improved with hard work but we cant expect them to all of a sudden win 55% against ACC comp. I wonder how the Maryland and Duke game ends up if they didn't double the possessions on SU. SU can't give these top teams left so many extra possessions so the only way to close the gap some and give the team a fighting chance is to get GBs. I love Rice he's a solid DM with a lot is speed but he's just not a Gb hawk. Two GBs in 9 games playing the wing tells us that. Why not try anyone even if they don't get much Pt. It's not ideal to have someone who is not going back on D or on O but they have no choice they have to even out possessions so try and find someone who is a ball hawk and they can get the team possession then dump it off and head off or maybe someone like Leo could do it? I know Murphy was pretty good at LIU but they don't seem to wanna use him at all so try anyone. Aviles is solid and Rosa isnt the fastest but he's tough and will fight for a Gb. Rice just GBs isn't his thing so why keep sending him out there when the team is struggling at the dot and giving these other teams so many extra possessions? U see with Rice he will be there but can't scoop it and that's fine he's a solid DM so try someone else. Idk just feel like we know our FOGOs are trying but right now can't keep up with the top FOGOs in the ACC so the only possible way to help even out possessions is having ball hawks at the wing. Try something different because the first 9 games nothing has changed and obviously won't unless change is made, I'm not taking a shot at the coaches I respect them and think they will eventually bring a championship back to SU I just wonder why they haven't tried other guys. Could be suprised at who's a ball hawk u never know. What do u guys think? I mean if they can even out the possessions then having a top goalie like Will Mark gives the team a chance to win. They might be able to steal a game from one of these top teams. Idk

Agree
Trujillo was very good playing wing in HS. Different level but he has the foot speed to possibly get to the X if there is a scrum and is good at picking up GBs. Need more speed on the wings.

It's just weird that wing play was an issue last yr and now due to the face off situation it's even more important this yr yet the same guys from last yr have been out there all this yr and it's been a major issue. Why not try different ppl and maybe find someone who really has a knack for it. What's the definition of insanity? Lol

It's been an issue going back beyond last season. When Phaup was on he was usually winning draws clean to himself, but when it turned into a scrum the wing play had always felt lacking. I do agree though not sure why they aren't trying some different faces out there.

Agree
Trujillo was very good playing wing in HS. Different level but he has the foot speed to possibly get to the X if there is a scrum and is good at picking up GBs. Need more speed on the wings.

Worth giving him a legit shot. They should let him play a lot of wing tomorrow vs Hobart and see if he makes a difference. Gotta try some other players. Its crunch time now the final stretch.

As MF noted I think there will be at least 1 middie transfer next year possibly 2. Kempney can dodge but is still getting used to the speed of D1. As Powellfan noted he really should have red-shirted. I also wouldn't be surprised if Leo moved back to attack, he's our best dodging attackmen and the staff seems dead set on leaving Thomson at midfield.
I know you all will keep me honest, but is there still an option to redshirt Kempney? If he plays in less than 25% of games similar to what is in play with football?

I know you all will keep me honest, but is there still an option to redshirt Kempney? If he plays in less than 25% of games similar to what is in play with football?
no, football has a special exemption for one of the 2 types of redshirts... they can play in 4 games or less.

once you play in a game for other sports, only redshirt available is a season ending medical. tiffany said the rule is you can redshirt even if played in scrimmages in spring... so if that's true, then the rules changed on this this year. don't know any new details because i couldn't find this year's rulebook.

but last year it was no more than 30+% of contests, none in the back half of the season. season ending injury, documented. contests prior included scrimmages in spring semester, games, and 1 post-season conference game if u play in it.

he just played in 'cuse's 9th game, so he's a no go even if he pulled a gardner minshew.

no, football has a special exemption for one of the 2 types of redshirts... they can play in 4 games or less.

once you play in a game for other sports, only redshirt available is a season ending medical. tiffany said the rule is you can redshirt even if played in scrimmages in spring... so if that's true, then the rules changed on this this year. don't know any new details because i couldn't find this year's rulebook.

but last year it was no more than 30+% of contests, none in the back half of the season. season ending injury, documented. contests prior included scrimmages in spring semester, games, and 1 post-season conference game if u play in it.

he just played in 'cuse's 9th game, so he's a no go even if he pulled a gardner minshew.

The ability to redshirt afer playing in scrimmages changed a while back. Used to be you couldn't even play in Fall scrimmages if my memory serves me right.

wgdsr pretty much nailed it, once you play a second in lax in teh regular season your redshirt is blown unless your suffer a season ending injury the first few games and even then you still have to apply for a medical red-shirt though it's usually granted. NCAA is very strict about the timing to, former UVA middie Ryan Conrad got hurt I believe like 1 game over the 30% threshold and he applied for a waiver and was denied.

wgdsr pretty much nailed it, once you play a second in lax in teh regular season your redshirt is blown unless your suffer a season ending injury the first few games and even then you still have to apply for a medical red-shirt though it's usually granted. NCAA is very strict about the timing to, former UVA middie Ryan Conrad got hurt I believe like 1 game over the 30% threshold and he applied for a waiver and was denied.
he was 2 games over because he played in both spring scrimmages. they changed the fall rule in 2018. the spring scrimmage rule was in place until at least last year.

edit to add: conrad was, in fact, one game over. 18 official contests. allowed him to play in 6, and was injured in his contest 7.

Last edited:
Casey was not small, he was like 6'1" or so and solid
well ryan was listed as 6'1" .

gettyimages-576336-612x612.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online