St. John's game, a second look | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's game, a second look

Dave85 said:
Do you have a example player's career you can reference?
Fab Melo. I'm not joking. He didn't play in any games between his first and second year and was a beast.

I doubt he will leave unless he is likely to be drafted in the lottery, or just outside the lottery. If he gets drafted there he will not be a DNP, so YES after he is drafted he will get playing time.

I guess we will see. I think Carmelo Anthony was averaging 22 points per game and 9 rebounds per game his freshmen year with the Orange. At this point, Grant reminds me more of Joseph than Anthony. You may be right and I may be wrong. It will not be the first time.

Fab Melo. I'm not joking. He didn't play in any games between his first and second year and was a beast.

Surely you're joking. Is Fab Melo still in the NBA?

Dave85 said:
I guess we will see. I think Carmelo Anthony was averaging 22 points per game and 9 rebounds per game his freshmen year with the Orange. At this point, Grant reminds me more of Joseph than Anthony. You may be right and I may be wrong. It will not be the first time.

Dion never started a game and averaged less than 13 points a game and was drafted 4th overall. Winning in college, accumulating stats in college, and staying in college extra years has almost no impact of a players draftability compared to athleticism, size and elite abilities.

Melo didn't get drafted high because of the NC or because of 22/10. He got drafted because he was elite in many aspects of the game, had great size, and just an unbelievable player. He wasn't on ESPN with Lebron playing in HS games for nothing, he was considering going straight to the NBA for nothing. He was a top 5 pick in that draft the second he came to the hill.

Dave85 said:
Surely you're joking. Is Fab Melo still in the NBA?

You asked a question and I answered it. You said name one player who improves without playing games and only in practices and the off season. Are you saying Fab didn't improve between his first and second year?

You asked a question and I answered it. You said name one player who improves without playing games and only in practices and the off season. Are you saying Fab didn't improve between his first and second year?

My argument is once a player gets drafted into the NBA and they do not get any playing time it is very difficult for them to ever get playing time in the NBA. I wasn't talking about college. My argument is players who stay in college have a better chance at improving their game by having playing time than getting drafted and sitting on the bench. I sure hope Grant stays an extra year and develops a consistent outside shot. I think if he leaves after this year he's not going to get playing time. Not because he's not a freakish talented athlete. But without a good outside threat, what makes him a great player in college may not work as well against players who are just as good as or better than he is both in terms of talent and freakish athleticism. This is just my stupid opinion. Maybe I am completely wrong. I would just hate to see a talent like Grant's get wasted because he needed one more year in college.

Dave85 said:
My argument is once a player gets drafted into the NBA and they do not get any playing time it is very difficult for them to ever get playing time in the NBA. I wasn't talking about college. My argument is players who stay in college have a better chance at improving their game by having playing time than getting drafted and sitting on the bench. I sure hope Grant stays an extra year and develops a consistent outside shot. I think if he leaves after this year he's not going to get playing time. Not because he's not a freakish talented athlete. But without a good outside threat, what makes him a great player in college may not work as well against players who are just as good as or better than he is both in terms of talent and freakish athleticism. This is just my stupid opinion. Maybe I am completely wrong. I would just hate to see a talent like Grant's get wasted because he needed one more year in college.

If Grant develops a jumper it will be through countless jumpers in the gym for long hours day after day, not by hoisting up 6 a game in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom