Stadium Answers for Miner | Syracusefan.com

Stadium Answers for Miner

Not going to get into specifics yet, but what is going on and what COR wants is total B.S.

Minor is really looking out for the local people here. FOCUS ON THE WORD LOCAL.

Last edited:
This whole thing is bs. Number one why are they sending letters and why are they all leaking. Number two. Why wouldn't miner take the 200 million that was offered. There is nothing that says it has to be built tomorrow. That money was going to be spent somewhere and it should have come to Syracuse. Everyone is in it for themselves and no one is looking out for the city. Su cares about su. Mahoney and cuomo are trying to work over miner and miner is trying to make herself out to be all about Syracuse. She's in it to leave a stamp and that's it. If this is going to get done then all parties need to get in a room and work it out. Honestly putting anything in Kennedy square would be an improvement on what's there now and 500 million does a lot for the city.

The new Chancellor is a lot different than Cantor. I think he wants to be open and honest about the project because he recognizes that SU and the community need to work together.

SU can't try to run the City and I expect his approach will be better in the long-run for both SU and the city.

This whole thing is bs. Number one why are they sending letters and why are they all leaking. Number two. Why wouldn't miner take the 200 million that was offered. There is nothing that says it has to be built tomorrow. That money was going to be spent somewhere and it should have come to Syracuse. Everyone is in it for themselves and no one is looking out for the city. Su cares about su. Mahoney and cuomo are trying to work over miner and miner is trying to make herself out to be all about Syracuse. She's in it to leave a stamp and that's it. If this is going to get done then all parties need to get in a room and work it out. Honestly putting anything in Kennedy square would be an improvement on what's there now and 500 million does a lot for the city.

So why wasn't this letter sent to Miner earlier? It is dated yesterday, January 23rd.

"Oh, by the way Daddy, I'm getting married next Saturday. You didn't meet him, but it's still OK, isn't it? Mom already has the reception planned, too. Isn't that nice?" Oh Lord

Not going to get into specifics yet, but what is going on and what COR wants is total B.S.

Minor is really looking out for the local people here. FOCUS ON THE WORD LOCAL.

There was nothing new in that letter, just confirmed what was either specific or implied in the deal.

Again confirmed, they weren't looking for any money from the city. Even better the stadium would cover impacts from operations.

If it's SU's vision to be a tenant they have made the cost/benefit analysis that they are better off using a stadium off campus than continuing to operate the dome instead of using it for housing or academic buildings.

Interesting that the 495 didn't include land acquistion and parking. I know a place where there is plenty of parking and the land is already cleared for the most part, can probably had for a good deal, and there exist traffic layout is perfect. If they are willing to move, it's a negotiation point to where you move to.

GoSU One little blurb from one letter....

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Mayor Stephanie Miner said Monday that there were too many unanswered questions for her to endorse a proposal developed by state, county and Syracuse University officials to build a new $500 million sports arena in Syracuse.

and from the other today..... "To be clear, at no time have any informal agreements with any governmental entities, developers or operators been reached to implement this vision."

Maybe you can understand just a tad more of my message.

This stadium will cost much more than what is going on behind the scenes.

Still not happy they would downgrade from 49K to 44K, I was firmly in favor of the new stadium... but 44K screams small time E Carolina stadium to me.

Keep the dome and renovate.

think about and decipher this......

• a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition
this is going to cost a lot more than this,it's just a starting point and who do you think who is going to pick the tab up.

think about and decipher this...

• a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition
this is going to cost a lot more than this,it's just a starting point and who do you think who is going to pick the tab up.

Certainly not me!

Still not happy they would downgrade from 49K to 44K, I was firmly in favor of the new stadium... but 44K screams small time E Carolina stadium to me.

Keep the dome and renovate.

most of that downgrade in seats will be for luxury boxes and not having benches instaid actual seats.

think about and decipher this...

local taxpayers and maybe put some type of fee from hotel. Id put it closer to 600 mil than 5 with land and parking added

I wonder how much land would need purchasing via some type of map

local taxpayers and maybe put some type of fee from hotel. Id put it closer to 600 mil than 5 with land and parking added

Heard parking garage......which means no tailgating for those folks.

So why wasn't this letter sent to Miner earlier? It is dated yesterday, January 23rd.

"Oh, by the way Daddy, I'm getting married next Saturday. You didn't meet him, but it's still OK, isn't it? Mom already has the reception planned, too. Isn't that nice?" Oh Lord
Miner's letter was dated January 10th. The reply was dated January 23rd. That's not that bad. No one is asking Miner to marry anyone. They are just asking her on a blind date. If that works, maybe another date...etc. and then maybe someday marriage.

Heard parking garage...which means no tailgating for those folks.

yea unless there is dedicated tailgating section somewhere else by the stadium

There was nothing new in that letter, just confirmed what was either specific or implied in the deal.

Again confirmed, they weren't looking for any money from the city. Even better the stadium would cover impacts from operations.

If it's SU's vision to be a tenant they have made the cost/benefit analysis that they are better off using a stadium off campus than continuing to operate the dome instead of using it for housing or academic buildings.

Interesting that the 495 didn't include land acquistion and parking. I know a place where there is plenty of parking and the land is already cleared for the most part, can probably had for a good deal, and there exist traffic layout is perfect. If they are willing to move, it's a negotiation point to where you move to.
Carrier Circle?

It's all posturing. Everyone is going to want to come out looking like "they won." These letters, the leaking...its done for a purpose

Does anyone know if it will alsot be 44,000 for basketball too. I can live with a 44,000 seat football stadium if the basketball court is centered. If its set up like the dome the basketball seating would drop to around 30,000.

The new Chancellor is a lot different than Cantor. I think he wants to be open and honest about the project because he recognizes that SU and the community need to work together.

SU can't try to run the City and I expect his approach will be better in the long-run for both SU and the city.

Talked with an SU prof today about the new chancellor. Very, very different vibe from Nancy. The new guy spent a day last week riding around campus with a maintenance crew. He's trying to learn the operations from bottom up. Another thing is they are now clearing out the dead wood, payroll padding sycophants that Nancy could not take with her. He is very impressed

May have been addressed elsewhere - but doesn't the city get tax money on off-campus vs the dome on? Even if the city has to pay something upfront - they'd presumably get it back in tax revenue, right?

May have been addressed elsewhere - but doesn't the city get tax money on off-campus vs the dome on? Even if the city has to pay something upfront - they'd presumably get it back in tax revenue, right?

I've pointed this out a bunch of times. Both the Dome and the War Memorial don't contribute a thing to the tax base.

And again, the plan does not include the city contributing one dime in financing or operational dollars.

What is keeping the city from going bankrupt is the sales tax revenue the mall is bringing, even though the county changed the formula.

The hart-Lyman proposal here would be the best by far. In the first article.

As for COR'S my guess since the OCC campus of teaching hotel and hospitality course combined with a hotel I would almost guarantee that the hotel will tax exempt from property taxes

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/01/post_531.html

and I heard that COR wants to expand to house up to 4,000 students there.

http://innovationtrail.org/post/developer-unveils-big-plans-syracuses-inner-harbor

There is a lot of stuff flying around right now. And it looks like some ground work has been started down there.

Yes probably a PILOT agreement. State owns the property now so I'm not even sure they receive anything from that area