Stadium Answers for Miner | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stadium Answers for Miner

people seem to forget that Onondaga county was the biggest polluter of Onondaga lake and still is.

Will they be able to sell beer at a new arena? Before I go any further with any thinking on this issue, I need to know this answer.
Do they sell beer at the War Memorial or the baseball stadium?

Rutgers got 6.5 Mil over 10 years for the naming rights from High Point solutions, with it's major signage on I95. I really wouldn't add much if anything to that for us.

That being said the club features at the dome are really lacking, not sure what the upgrade should realistically be.
I think it would be quite a bit more than what Rutgers got. Syracuse will play both football and basketball in the new stadium and that, combined with the major tenant, SU, being a much better overall program (better TV slots) and someone would pay more.

The new Chancellor is a lot different than Cantor. I think he wants to be open and honest about the project because he recognizes that SU and the community need to work together.

SU can't try to run the City and I expect his approach will be better in the long-run for both SU and the city.

As a complete outsider, it's difficult to get a good read on Syverud. He has mentioned the option of upgrading the Dome but there's also this pursuit of a new stadium. Either way, he seems to be the right person for the job right now.

I think it would be quite a bit more than what Rutgers got. Syracuse will play both football and basketball in the new stadium and that, combined with the major tenant, SU, being a much better overall program (better TV slots) and someone would pay more.

Rutgers gets a lot of foot (car) traffic. Even if it was double, it's not a lot of money into the whole of these projections.

What is keeping the city from going bankrupt is the sales tax revenue the mall is bringing, even though the county changed the formula.

The hart-Lyman proposal here would be the best by far. In the first article.

As for COR'S my guess since the OCC campus of teaching hotel and hospitality course combined with a hotel I would almost guarantee that the hotel will tax exempt from property taxes

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/01/post_531.html

and I heard that COR wants to expand to house up to 4,000 students there.

http://innovationtrail.org/post/developer-unveils-big-plans-syracuses-inner-harbor

There is a lot of stuff flying around right now. And it looks like some ground work has been started down there.

You mean the mall that she did everything in her power to derail the expansion of?

She was promised 4 million additional square feet of retail, with a hotel, an aquarium, and an indoor water park.

Based on the promises Congel made, the city agreed to give him a 30 year exemption on property taxes.

Congel only delivered 800,000 additional sq ft of retail, of which probably 1/2 is still vacant.

30 years of property tax revenue sacrificed for only 800,000 sqft of extra retail? You can bet that the city finance people care.

The promise was whatever they were required to deliver in new space. If they didn't deliver what they were obligated to Pyramid would lose the exemption, wouldn't it?

I guess all the delay and and opposition the delayed the expansion until in the middle of an economic downturn might have had something to do with delivering the minimum.

At the end of the day the expansion has been great for this community IMO.

Yes?

They don't hold NCAA events at the War Memorial or baseball stadium though.

They are not planning to install pee troughs. Does that answer your question?

Oh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh Lord

You mean the mall that she did everything in her power to derail the expansion of?

Defrancisco is much better at that and everyone who lives in this community knows that.

The first thing Congel did in that expansion was black top the parking lots and put up permanent lights over where the expansion was going to.

Millions$$$dollars of work for nothing, not... he never intended to expand the project over Hiawatha Blvd. It was common sense on that one and city hall figured correctly on his B.S.

No one spends about 5 $million on temporary work here in Syracuse, maybe in D.C. or NYC.

Still not happy they would downgrade from 49K to 44K, I was firmly in favor of the new stadium... but 44K screams small time E Carolina stadium to me.

Keep the dome and renovate.
tumblr_mvsxkwo1iB1qeva83o1_250.gif

East Carolina's stadium has seated more than the Carrier Dome since 2010. They're going to expand to 58,000 soon. ECU has 6k more undergraduates than Syracuse.

A 44k seat stadium is perfect for Syracuse. We can fill the Dome, but we don't on a regular basis, and really never have. We could fill a 44k seat stadium on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I don't live in Syracuse anymore but I do keep up with the news. Was the city not almost bankrupt in recent memory? And some of you are wondering why the mayor isn't jumping at the first deal on the table? Wish my community had the good sense of your mayor.

tumblr_mvsxkwo1iB1qeva83o1_250.gif

East Carolina's stadium has seated more than the Carrier Dome since 2010. They're going to expand to 58,000 soon. ECU has 6k more undergraduates than Syracuse.

A 44k seat stadium is perfect for Syracuse. We can fill the Dome, but we don't on a regular basis, and really never have. We could fill a 44k seat stadium on a regular basis.

We can fill the dome at 49K as well...the only thing missing is wins. If we were an 8+ win team for the past 10 years, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

I don't live in Syracuse anymore but I do keep up with the news. Was the city not almost bankrupt in recent memory? And some of you are wondering why the mayor isn't jumping at the first deal on the table? Wish my community had the good sense of your mayor.

The projection is that the city will run out of money in roughly 3 years.

That would be a yes, they sell beer at both stadiums. I was at Disney on ice and had a few beers.

Good sense? This deal wouldn't cost the city a dime, that's the issue.

Maybe she can find another "green" project to invest waste tax payer's money on.

Yes?

They don't hold NCAA events at the War Memorial or baseball stadium though.
But they hold them (SU games) at the dome. And they sell beer there. And at Louisville games at the Yum center. Can we just put the silly concerns about not selling beer to rest.

Any construction in Syracuse is great and I fully support a new stadium. But the thought it wouldn't cost the city a dime is just plain stupid. The city would have to re route streets, build all the underground plumbing and sewage. It would cost millions. With that said its worth the money just for the upgrade to the community alone.

Any construction in Syracuse is great and I fully support a new stadium. But the thought it wouldn't cost the city a dime is just plain stupid. The city would have to re route streets, build all the underground plumbing and sewage. It would cost millions. With that said its worth the money just for the upgrade to the community alone.
It's my understanding that most of the infrastructure costs are included in the proposal. I could be wrong.

I agree with all this but finding the financing would be difficult.

This actually would be a great Tax Increment Financing project if the city gets enough revenue from the stadium, parking and business taxes to make the numbers work.

But they hold them (SU games) at the dome. And they sell beer there. And at Louisville games at the Yum center. Can we just put the silly concerns about not selling beer to rest.

That's what I'm trying to do!! I'm asking!

I really don't get your point though.

That's what Congel promised and that's what Bernardi and other other officials at the time signed up for when they gave him the 30-year PILOT (despite the opposition of people like Miner). Congel got rich off the deal and marginalized his competitors in the area like Wilmorite but it's highly debatable whether he did much else for Syracuse, the county, and the general business climate here.

From my perspective (as someone who hasn't lived in the area full time since 1981): Congel turned an ugly (brownfield) area of Syracuse into something much easier on the eyes. Huge Retail Mall>>>Oil Tanks and Salvage Yards. His Mall has helped bring a varied choice of retail, dining and entertainment that wouldn't be here without his Mall. The Lodging industry in Onondaga County has increased to support the Mall. That is bringing in taxes. We have more Canadians and Upstate NY'ers than ever shopping in the area.

You really want to create synergy and efficiency? Put the Dome between Downtown and the Mall (Kennedy SQ works too but not as well IMHO). Link it with light rail (University, Downtown, Stadium, Mall, Baseball Stadium/regional Market/Train Station, Airport).

Industry is never coming back until NY State changes their work and tax policies. I don't see it happening as NYC is doing well in finance and could care less about Industry in Upstate.

That's because there's practically nowhere else to do your shopping in the area. Congel rehabilitated a "brown field" and helped to create 6 others elsewhere. The city, county, and state helped him to monopolize the shopping trade in town. The malls that didn't have the sweetheart deal died on the vine. Good for Congel, I guess! That's good old-fashioned American free enterprise at work!

Are you in favor of anything?

I agree with all this but finding the financing would be difficult.

This actually would be a great Tax Increment Financing project if the city gets enough revenue from the stadium, parking and business taxes to make the numbers work.

How much money is being generated by that are in the city now? Answer, Zero.

The infrastructure would be paid for by taxing the new structure and the city would be earning the sales tax revenue on it as well, just like they do from Destiny which has been said is way more than the taxes that they would be paying if they didn't get a tax break there.

I pay taxes, what do they go to...infrastructure and services I am pretty certain.

How much money is being generated by that are in the city now? Answer, Zero.

The infrastructure would be paid for by taxing the new structure and the city would be earning the sales tax revenue on it as well, just like they do from Destiny which has been said is way more than the taxes that they would be paying if they didn't get a tax break there.

I pay taxes, what do they go to...infrastructure and services I am pretty certain.

Please read page 4 on property tax in the letter

They have no clue at this point if it will be taxed and my gut feeling is that state all ready owns most of the land they will have a sweetheart deal.