Starting Our Walk-Ons - Red's Threat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Our Walk-Ons - Red's Threat

Copeland
Cuffe
Brown
Carey
Hima

Starling and Mintz off the bench at first timeout for Hima and Carey.

Taylor as needed.

Run Copeland forty.

Won't happen, but send it

Seasons done anyway

Play the guys that will be here next year

Cuffe and Copeland and Brown

Send the message to Starling now.

Mintz is dreaming NBA and will be on that path rest of year to improve draft status.

Williams is a lost cause

Bell is a one trick pony that's inconsistent and unreliable. Adds almost zero value.

Taylor should be playing spot minutes off bench - just not an ACC caliber starter.

Carey and Hima are too raw and aren't going to help this year but can help next. Get them their bruises this year.

In high school, my team was getting killed at half time. The coach correctly said our effort was horrible and started 5 non starters in the second half.

I sat on the bench with the other 4 starters all the way until there were just 5 minutes left in the game. I don’t think I ever played so hard in my life after getting back in that game. The score ended up being lopsided but it would have been lopsided anyways with the effort of the starters.

I don’t remember many of my HS games 30+ years later but I still remember that game. The coach sent a clear message about effort and I got it.

if you wanna go all effort

i go: cope, cuffe, brown, carey, ...starling

there's really not enough effort guys to make a starting 5

hima should play more too imo...he at least has the right attitude out there, as well
Hima can’t move. If you’ve been to the dome recently just watch him warm up. He looks like my 80 year old grandmother moving around.

Personally, I think since Red went public with this, that we will see a great effort against Louisville.
Let’s see a great effort against a team with a pulse, then we can judge if the threat worked. A 10 point win against Louisville at home should be the expectation.

Copeland
Cuffe
Brown
Carey
Hima

Taylor as needed.

Run Copeland forty.

Seasons done anyway

Mintz is dreaming NBA and will be on that path rest of year to improve draft status.

Williams is a lost cause

Bell is a one trick pony that's inconsistent and unreliable. Adds almost zero value.

Taylor should be playing spot minutes off bench - just not an ACC caliber starter.

Carey and Hima are too raw and aren't going to help this year but can help next. Get them their bruises this year.
Hima won’t be back and he’s injured. Can barely move. Just watch his warmups. I hope he gets better and can land somewhere in the portal.

Starling tho is an interesting case and he’s gonna be here 4 years so better get used to it. He missed his first jumper at the 6:55 min mark at wake. Watched every other player on the team put up bricks all half. He has been struggling on defense as well. I guess he did almost break his neck only a week ago at BC tho. It’s possible that shook him or he was more banged up than he said.

Regardless He’s gotta be ready to ball at tip not 15 mins later when the game is out of hand. Hes playing the most minutes too and has to show some leadership.

He’s not a flashy guy I get that and he’s not running point but he’s gotta demand the ball and shoot at the critical parts of the game.

Defense he’s gonna have to just go to work and get better.

Copeland
Cuffe
Brown
Carey
Hima

Taylor as needed.

Run Copeland forty.

Seasons done anyway

Williams is a lost cause

Taylor is an effort guy. They won’t bench him. If anything, he probably plays more.

Sad state of affairs.

Let’s see a great effort against a team with a pulse, then we can judge if the threat worked. A 10 point win against Louisville at home should be the expectation.
...agree but also feel it is not a very high expectation! Definitely need to seea turn around and an all out effort.

Judging by Autry’s comments and demeanor you could say he’s really pissed.

However, if our usual starting five don’t care, or couldn’t give a damn, think they’re playing their best, and we lose to the YUM’s by 20 what’cha going to do then boys?

Would you be able to tell the difference?

In high school, my team was getting killed at half time. The coach correctly said our effort was horrible and started 5 non starters in the second half.

I sat on the bench with the other 4 starters all the way until there were just 5 minutes left in the game. I don’t think I ever played so hard in my life after getting back in that game. The score ended up being lopsided but it would have been lopsided anyways with the effort of the starters.

I don’t remember many of my HS games 30+ years later but I still remember that game. The coach sent a clear message about effort and I got it.
In college we were down 15 to Canisius at half. Coach didn't say much other than we were running 10 suicides for every point we lost by.

Personally, I think since Red went public with this, that we will see a great effort against Louisville.

This.

That being said, even on our good nights, we still have lapses in sleepwalk mode.

TO's and refocusing should work as long as the lapses are managed quickly and effectively.

We also have a number of rotations this year, which is good, but we've also been run into the ground by some teams.

Our offense goes into ISO mode too often and we have players dribbling and running around too much and they often tire in late game situations (Judah/JJ). So we do run ourselves ragged at times...

We desperately need less dribbling and more effective passing and cutting... Make the ball do the movement.

Last edited:
I'd hope Red told the team as much with 20x the passion as he showed to the media. If he says what he said but follows it up with nothing, the team will know it's an empty threat and lose respect for him. He'd probably lose some credibility with fans too, which is less important but not nothing either.

Obviously I'm not saying he has to placate the problem guys, but he's gotta be about it if he's gonna talk about it.

This.

That being said, even on our good nights, we still have lapses in sleepwalk mode.

TO's and refocusing should work as long as the lapses are managed quickly and effectively.

We also have a number of rotations this year, which is good, but we've also been run into the ground by some teams.

Our offense goes into ISO mode too often and we have players dribbling and running around too much and they often tire in late game situations (Judah/JJ). So we do run ourselves ragged at times...

We desperately less dribbling and more effective passing and cutting... Make the ball do the movement.
I watch a decent amount of non-Syracuse games, and most of the time it feels like I'm watching a completely different sport. Look no further than watching the first half of Kansas v Kansas State last night. They move the ball quickly and get high quality looks. Sharp cuts, lots of off-ball movement, they know where they want to pass before they even get the ball. And they have guys who can shoot, rebound, etc.

Not having crisp offensive sets with lots of passing and movement amplifies our players' shortcomings. We're not exactly rolling out 3-5 NBA players who can get a bucket at will.

Boy this sounds like a Crossroads type decision or message

Or am I reading too much into this?

Rollie did it a couple of times at Nova and Cleveland State.

Massimino didn’t have much to say about the wholesale benching of his starters beyond noting that he did the same thing with his 1985 national championship team at Villanova in its regular-season finale.

CSU punked by Butler

I watch a decent amount of non-Syracuse games, and most of the time it feels like I'm watching a completely different sport. Look no further than watching the first half of Kansas v Kansas State last night. They move the ball quickly and get high quality looks. Sharp cuts, lots of off-ball movement, they know where they want to pass before they even get the ball. And they have guys who can shoot, rebound, etc.

Not having crisp offensive sets with lots of passing and movement amplifies our players' shortcomings. We're not exactly rolling out 3-5 NBA players who can get a bucket at will.

I was hoping Straughn would be the guy to re-craft a more effective offense, as I believe he came in with a pedigree for that. I hope he still can be that guy.

We have shown some glimpses with better, quick passing and cuts at times in some games, but it's been the exception rather than the rule.

Are the players just not comfortable with new offensive sets as yet and we often revert to what they do know (basic iso ball) or do we just have players that aren't suited to run it (or don't want to?)

That last part in parentheses is the concern, as the root of an issue like that is players just doing whatever they want and not playing cohesively as a team... which is exactly what we saw last game.

Rome wasn't built in a day and there's no question things won't just magically click in year 1.

That said, we're gonna need some new players in from the portal along with the incoming freshmen as well, as a culture shift appears to be needed.

This was always the worry with an internal hire... Red is part of the old culture but needs to craft a new one... Can he do it?

Last edited:
I am half expecting an announcement within the next 48 hours that he's no longer part of the program...
Ding Ding Ding!

I said during the last game thread I’d rather watch the walk ons play the rest of the season. If we are gonna be blown out I’d rather watch players who will hustle and enjoy every second of being on the court. Only a few of our current players seem to care.

Benny shouldn’t see any action the rest of the season. He has gotten multiple chances from Autry and showing the coach up like that is unacceptable.
I didn't see the game, what did Benny do exactly?

Maybe Red pulled Benny's scholarship, increased his NIL and made him a walk-on, and now will start Benny over JT to show everyone he means business.

the hangover GIF

Taylor is an effort guy. They won’t bench him. If anything, he probably plays more.

Sad state of affairs.
Can’t even be upset about it, here we are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom