Starting QB for next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Starting QB for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dungey was exceptional this year before he got hurt. We would've gone 2-10 at best without him and the other close games would've been blowouts. Based on his wild west style of play, he will likely get dinged up again next year, too. DeVito will have his chances all year. I look forward to seeing him in a live game.

I am happy that we have DeVito ready to go. I fully expect that we see a 2-headed QB monster before DeVito fully takes over in 2019. Our QB situation is in good hands right now.

I liked reading the part about throwing with the receivers in the offseason. Every single rep helps with the tempo, timing and ball placement.

Was told by someone I trust that a major shake up could be coming. Was told Devitos camp not interested in sitting for another year. Not sure if that changes the staffs calculation for the competition next year. Just the messenger.

DeVito's camp?

Its-Always-Sunny-In-Philadelphia-920x584.png

Let me nip this in the bud ... all we want a d anybody would want is a fair chance to compete , I have all the respect for Ed ,and Rex showed class today with his praise for zach . I know the love affair here for Ed and deservedly so . If you haven't seen Tds throwing and skill set yet you will , I'm just stating a fact he has skills to match anyone in the country let alone our roster as long as it's open competition we will be happy as than Tommy will prove what he has . Let's just wait and see what happens believe me I will b the first to say if he is first ,2nd or 3rd . it's a long off season let's just be a team and let the coaches evaluate who is best . Enjoy the holidays and let's hope it's a fast winter
The OP said you were at camp or something...

Tommy got gifted an extra year...he should be psyched for a several reasons!

Was told by someone I trust that a major shake up could be coming. Was told Devitos camp not interested in sitting for another year. Not sure if that changes the staffs calculation for the competition next year. Just the messenger.

Ya know what, when TD and his "camp" signed with Syracuse; the plan as it's playing out was out in the open. No tricks here. TD playing 3 years after ED departs or part of 2018 as ED hasnt shown he can last all 12, seems like good timing for TD and the program.

1. Dungey
2. Culpepper or Devito
3. Devito or Culpepper

In any case, I expect Rex and Tommy to play at some point next year because Dungey can't stay healthy.

I am very confident the best QB will start. The nice thing is that if TD proves the better QB, Dungey could be really useful elsewhere on offense as well. Same with Rex.

At this point, I don't see TD beating out Dungey. For one, he is a good player and has three years in the offense. Also, the o-line is going to be average at best next year. I can't imagine a 6'0" pocket passer trying to operate behind this line . Of course, TD's arm talent (and Ill include making correct reads with that) may be markedly better than Dungey, I don't know.

The Oline will be better and really, they competed well this year. Like the thought of ED at WR if things break in that direction. But, geeez, fellas ED is our QB.

Knowing Eds injury concerns you have to play a couple of them early to give one of the new guys some reps

As others have said best guy needs to start and if thats ED then his back up needs to be ready to go at any time...

Tucker Dordevic, get used to the name. Real threat to make 1st line middie.
So we've got a Frosh TD from NJ potentially supplanting a senior from Oregon on the gridiron & a Frosh TD from Oregon potentially supplanting a senior from NJ (Lane) on the Lax field. Should make for an interesting Spring.

Last edited:
Play who ever gives the team the best chance to win. If it is close go with Devito. Sorry I love Eric but you can't help the team standing on the sideline every November.

If the kid transferred he would have sit. The DeVito camp isn’t stupid.

I have no problem with the kid going to spring camp pushing Dungey for the starting job.

Let the best man win. I love Eric but he hasn’t lasted an entire season in 3 years.

Exactly. Dungey is a warrior in many ways but and not that it is his fault he hasn’t lasted a full year. Devito shouldn’t be impulsive and split because he should know its his show either part of next year and the next three years or all four years. They will compete in camp and let’s see what happens

So we've got a Frosh from NJ potentially supplanting a senior from Oregon on the gridiron & a Frosh from Oregon potentially supplanting a senior from NJ (Lane) on the Lax field. Should make for an interesting Spring.

Dont believe Lane is really in consideration for the 1st lime at this point.

Yeah, me. Madonna is going to start. I would prefer klan, but desko loves Madonna. Seebold was great in Lake Placid, fit in nicely with Solomon and Refuss.

Thanks for the info. I had high hopes for the Canadian kid Porter, thought he had a shot to win it outright.

May the best player win.

No one player will ever be bigger than a program.

Let me nip this in the bud ... all we want a d anybody would want is a fair chance to compete , I have all the respect for Ed ,and Rex showed class today with his praise for zach . I know the love affair here for Ed and deservedly so . If you haven't seen Tds throwing and skill set yet you will , I'm just stating a fact he has skills to match anyone in the country let alone our roster as long as it's open competition we will be happy as than Tommy will prove what he has . Let's just wait and see what happens believe me I will b the first to say if he is first ,2nd or 3rd . it's a long off season let's just be a team and let the coaches evaluate who is best . Enjoy the holidays and let's hope it's a fast winter
I'm really looking forward to seeing Tommy at QB and expect big things out of him. Best wishes to the Devito's in 2018!!

Maybe some people here noticed how good the BC backup QB looked today. And why was that? That was because they have a running game that was giving the SU defense fits and allowed their QB to have time to go thru progressions and let plays develop and make throws to wide open receivers. ED has had zero, nada, zilch run balance to work off of. I don't care how good any QB is, if the defense can just focus on him it would be tough to be successful.

Head coaches are selfish people. They want/need to win. Period. The staff will start the QB who they think gives them the best chance to win. Period.

Let the best man win. Whoever starts , I will support 100%. If it's TD, fine. Thanks, Eric. Stay ready. If it's Dungey, fine. Stay ready, TD. You'll probably be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.