Starting QB for next year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Starting QB for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from a 4 hour drive to this?

It's E.D.'s job to lose, but after the way we stumbled to the finish line, nothing is off the table - no player upgrades and no coach replacements. Also, staying on the field matters. I want a bowl in the worst way - may the best young man win at every position.

oS8pRFxbD0d44.gif

Dungey is a warrior. Plain and simple. However, he still has much to be desired with his passing skills.

I don't get why TD would transfer. He stays at SU, is in line to start.
A 3 year starter at a P5 school. And more than 3 years if an injury. What is the problem?

with ED being injured i'd like it if they limit him in spring, and let culpepper and DeVito take the reps, I think DeVito wins that. unless, if dungey is healthy and they are going to try to coach the gronk out of him and make him into a system QB instead of a karate kicking maniac, maybe they should give him the reps and ideally save tommy for another year. it doesn't feel like the skill positions or the line will be there for TD to shine next year. hopefully his camp can see the value in letting dungey run for his life next year, and then 3 years of the touchdown tommy era gets underway with improved talent around him.

Head coaches are selfish people. They want/need to win. Period. The staff will start the QB who they think gives them the best chance to win. Period.

Let the best man win. Whoever starts , I will support 100%. If it's TD, fine. Thanks, Eric. Stay ready. If it's Dungey, fine. Stay ready, TD. You'll probably be needed.
I mean at some point, Dungeys family has to ask him how he wants to spend the rest of his life. There’s only so many beatings worth taking

Let me nip this in the bud ... all we want a d anybody would want is a fair chance to compete , I have all the respect for Ed ,and Rex showed class today with his praise for zach . I know the love affair here for Ed and deservedly so . If you haven't seen Tds throwing and skill set yet you will , I'm just stating a fact he has skills to match anyone in the country let alone our roster as long as it's open competition we will be happy as than Tommy will prove what he has . Let's just wait and see what happens believe me I will b the first to say if he is first ,2nd or 3rd . it's a long off season let's just be a team and let the coaches evaluate who is best . Enjoy the holidays and let's hope it's a fast winter

I definitely think that your son has the tools that Dino covets. You need to be able to make all the throws and be comfortable running through your progressions in this O. TD has those skills. Dungey is a hell of a QB, and he plays with a lot of heart. However, i get the feeling that he doesn't run Dino's preferred offense. For that reason, it'll be interesting to see if TD wins the job next year. If I'm dungey, i don't take starting next year for granted.

I get talking your kid up but that’s a lot to put on your son. At some point you’ve got to let his play do the talking. He’s an adult in college. Don’t Fortay him.

Our games are so close that there has been no opportunity for a backup QB to get in there during mop up time. Those are good minutes if you can get them. Next years schedule looks like it might offer some opportunity for a backup QB to gain minutes against Liberty, Holy Cross and WMU

One of two things is going to happen next year:

1.) Dungey is going to be healthy enough to start all November games.

2.) Dino’s hand-picked QB recruit is going to start whatever November games Dungey misses.

Win/win for this fan either way. All this hand wringing about TD transferring is preposterous. His camp has to know that it’ll take an act of god for ED to make it through an entire season. Wally Pip, meet Eric Dungey.

Was told by someone I trust that a major shake up could be coming. Was told Devitos camp not interested in sitting for another year. Not sure if that changes the staffs calculation for the competition next year. Just the messenger.

Does TD's camp understand transfer rules? What an overplay. I'm very bullish on TD, but we aren't talking about a Heisman candidate here.

ED isn't only our best QB, he's our best RB.

Best player plays. Dino can get another TD, tho, and no one is bigger than the program.

Kid earns it, great. Otherwise, transfer to get your way. See you in 2019.

I'm assuming his camp is the issue and not TD. At least I hope.

Let me nip this in the bud ... all we want a d anybody would want is a fair chance to compete , I have all the respect for Ed ,and Rex showed class today with his praise for zach . I know the love affair here for Ed and deservedly so . If you haven't seen Tds throwing and skill set yet you will , I'm just stating a fact he has skills to match anyone in the country let alone our roster as long as it's open competition we will be happy as than Tommy will prove what he has . Let's just wait and see what happens believe me I will b the first to say if he is first ,2nd or 3rd . it's a long off season let's just be a team and let the coaches evaluate who is best . Enjoy the holidays and let's hope it's a fast winter

We ALL think TD is going to be a beast. TD is not ED, but we all saw what happens when you see a true frosh fed to the wolves 2 years ago.

TD is going to be a beast. Let the best man lead our team.

I think we saw today when Mahoney did not play at all on senior day, that Babers is going with his best option at all times. Even with Mahoney at less than 100% many coaches would have put him in to either start or to finish. Babers is a pure coach. He is going with his best option. I also see him going with a 2 QB system, which we have done before. This could keep Dungey from getting as beat up. I don't see Culpepper as being huge in this mix. Devito is our future. ED is our heart. That is why I might like a combo of the 2.

On paper, we should have improved O line play next year. If that comes to pass then it opens up the running game and I believe will make the QB decision interchangeable while going 3 deep with ED, TD, or RC running it. However, Dungey with his running ability would make the offense unstoppable except when we play the three or four teams on the schedule who have size and speed.

Maybe I am crazy, but if I was his camp, I would love for the o-line to round in to shape next year so that Tommy can start behind a talented and experienced line instead of a young yet talented line. Also, the receivers will be more seasoned.

Once again to make things clear someone here has started false rumors TD and his "camp" have no intentions on transferring as we trust it will b a fair and open competition at all positions as a 4-8 team needs to have the best players play . Again no need to speculate unless your bored because it will all play out in spring and summer . Let's hope the boys are hungry and work hard this off season. On a side note the pass protection improved over the season and looks like it will be even better next year .

Side note:. I think Moe Neal starts at HB next year and Stricks role is reduced

It should be be. He either plays another position or takes a backseat in the RB depth chart. Sure he improved this year but he is still not a very good RB on an ACC team.

Strick should bulk up and become a short yardage back.

Status
Not open for further replies.