State plans $20 million for Carrier Dome renovations | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

State plans $20 million for Carrier Dome renovations

If Syracuse wanted to be different, they should have done scattered orange and blue (and maybe even white) seats.

I would have done 2/3 orange seats and the rest a mix of blue and white. Mixing seat colors also makes it much harder to see empty seats.

All blue seats will be fine but will also look exactly the same as many, many other areas.

Agree. Navy is sharp, but a little generic. And boy is it going to look dark in there.

I mean seriously It's that hard to find a match to our shade of Orange? I find that a bit far fetched. The multicolored seat idea sounds intriguing. I mean we were going to do it, so why not be unique? Just seems like the easy option. Not terrible but not a wow factor.

I mean seriously It's that hard to find a match to our shade of Orange? I find that a bit far fetched. The multicolored seat idea sounds intriguing. I mean we were going to do it, so why not be unique? Just seems like the easy option. Not terrible but not a wow factor.

Yes.

Yes it is.

syracuseorangeuniforms_display_image.jpg

Disappointing. The orange seat backs that they currently install on the silver benches really brighten up the place. Navy blue seats will look like black under this new roof

Disappointing. The orange seat backs that they currently install on the silver benches really brighten up the place. Navy blue seats will look like black under this new roof
Darker seats look better on TV when no one is there. Look how bad the Dome has looked with limited people there against light grey cinder and bright silver.

It’s all about appearances on video versus cute paralleled to school colors.

No one has complained that Alabama’s seats aren’t Crimson Tide….

Hey, let’s complain about the color of the seats that people at the games sit in anyway!

Navy blue is a secondary school color anyway.

The good seats at the Dome for hoops have always been navy.

And the blue in the seats, and the Orange on the court and up high by the roof go together. Learn how to match colors, you geeks.

You have to give it to JW and SU, they are going all in on major athletics. Maybe JW’s projects will lead to a much needed resurgence of SU athletics like JC did 40 years ago when they built the Dome. It couldn’t come at a better time with our 3 biggest sports teams all under 500 this season.

“I think it becomes a destination point,” Sala said. “You see me before big events. I beg people to come early. This will give us an opportunity to give fans something to do during that time. If we put the right things in there, listen to our people, listen to the ‘Cuse fan (council), we know what people are asking for. We want to be able to offer different options for food, experiences, help people flow into the building better.”

Very encouraging statement

While they have no seats in, they should stain the concrete orange.
compromise. Tie die blue and orange for both the seats and the concrete. that would be groovy.

Last edited:
They don’t mention the location of this new building that I could see. I’m trying to envision where it will be located. Somewhere along the north or west wall? The other walls don’t seem to provide much room or maybe my imagination is limited. Will it be more than one story to ease access to/from all 3 levels? Great that SU is looking at all ways to improve the fan experience and listening to fan’s input. Not many details and it still sounds like expanding the current concourse during the game itself is problematic. Go SU!

They don’t mention the location of this new building that I could see. I’m trying to envision where it will be located. Somewhere along the north or west wall? The other walls don’t seem to provide much room or maybe my imagination is limited. Will it be more than one story to ease access to/from all 3 levels? Great that SU is looking at all ways to improve the fan experience and listening to fan’s input. Not many details and it still sounds like expanding the current concourse during the game itself is problematic. Go SU!

East.

Between the Dome and Archbold Gym/Barnes Center.

Are you talking about the building that will connect the dome to the Barnes Center?

East.

Between the Dome and Archbold Gym
Thought there were prior plans publicized for access on that side. So this isn’t a new addition just a few more details on an older announcement? My bad.

Which, by the way, doesn't reflect the shade, pantone, etc. of the particular orange in the Dome's court color. It's pretty off really, well, at least according to my eyes. Interestingly, they alleged the orange match is difficult, but the University of Illinois seems to have no problem doing it. They basically have the same color scheme as SU and they definitely got their home court colors right, IMO.

Which, by the way, doesn't reflect the shade, pantone, etc. of the particular orange in the Dome's court color. It's pretty off really, well, at least according to my eyes. Interestingly, they alleged the orange match is difficult, but the University of Illinois seems to have no problem doing it. They basically have the same color scheme as SU and they definitely got their home court colors right, IMO.
Illinois colors

syracuse colors

Ill is quite a bit darker in both shades

But my first question in the syracuse link

Is it my eye site as well or is the Block S orange a different shade than the orange in the big box?

its like when you take a paint from one store to a different store.. they cant always match colors and seat vendors are probably the same..

Thought there were prior plans publicized for access on that side. So this isn’t a new addition just a few more details on an older announcement? My bad.
That east side space between the Dome and the Barnes is a no brainer to turn into a multi level event space. But in addition to expanding the concourses all around the Dome, I’d love to see them do an even bigger modern addition on the west side, where there’s even more space, that would expand the concourse and install new food options or sit-down bars/restaurants and maybe a SU Hall of Fame.

I prefer seats to be blue. Just because our "main" color is orange does not mean everything has to be orange. I am seeing here that folks want the seats to be orange and the concrete painted orange. Really? I'm good with blue seats and splashes or orange in other places. Blue will show less wear and tear than orange. For those who cite Illinois as a model:
1651595722786.png

Illinois colors

syracuse colors

Ill is quite a bit darker in both shades

But my first question in the syracuse link

Is it my eye site as well or is the Block S orange a different shade than the orange in the big box?

its like when you take a paint from one store to a different store.. they cant always match colors and seat vendors are probably the same..

The crux of the point (which you seemed to miss) isn't comparing "exact" shades of colors (specifically orange here) between SU and Illinois, it was secondary. The main point being made is that Illinois' court color is closer to their true color than the Dome's court is to SU's.

Moreover, according to the link below, SU's official pantone color is not 158 C you linked making the comparison, but rather 1665 C. Interestingly, you commented on the Block S being different than the box color, well it is. The block S is more reflective of SU's true pantone. Which, accordingly, is pretty darn similar to Illinois.

1651595770811.png

1651595820757.png