Statement from the ACC on Transfers... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Statement from the ACC on Transfers...

Hope you're right but I fear losing players like Alton Robinson to the blue bloods in football.

Why? He’s already on a big stage. He’s gonna leave guaranteed ACC playing time to compete with 5 stars for pt in the SEC at LSU? That makes no sense it would only happen if somehow a marquee program like that with a contending team were paper thin on the D line.

Can they make the same rule for coaches-i.e. leave only once every 4 years w/o sitting out a year?

We don’t have enough advantages in place to help the factory schools. I really hope this rule helps us finally get a CFB playoff that contains factory schools like OSU, Clemson and Alabama. It’s been too long.
It will. Guys transferring out the of Syracuse hurts less than the advantage of guys transferring in from bigger programs.

Are they talking about this taking the place of the Grad transfer loophole?

I think this is a more of a benefit for a program like Syracuse. Are players that have a guaranteed starting spot here really going to leave and go somewhere where they are going to compete for a job at a factory that just going to bring in tons of talent every year? I think those 4 and 5 star guys that go somewhere and can't get on the field are more likely to transfer to a place they can play and not have to sit out a year.

Aren't there still rules regarding talking to players on other teams? Wouldn't poaching players not already in the transfer portal be a violation? I remember Coach Lester couldn't talk to Dungey before the WMU game, even a good luck text.

like rooting for the underdog. I like a school that, for the most part, is an underdog in most sports. While this is probably going to be good for the athletes, I am pretty sure I am not going to like this.
I hear you. One of the things that makes college football great is having those teams that come out of nowhere and pulls off a major upset or cracks the top 20 (Cuse a few years back). I fear that the gap between the have & have-nots will widen. Yes, we may be able to pick up a blue-blood cast-off who is buried on the depth chart but it will also be enticing for a lower to mid P5 star player to play for a contender (the rich will get richer).

This rule will hurt depth. Its going to create a mess.

I think this is a more of a benefit for a program like Syracuse. Are players that have a guaranteed starting spot here really going to leave and go somewhere where they are going to compete for a job at a factory that just going to bring in tons of talent every year? I think those 4 and 5 star guys that go somewhere and can't get on the field are more likely to transfer to a place they can play and not have to sit out a year.
D'eriq King

Why would Robinson go to a factory that recruits 4 and 5 Star DL every year.

Robinson type players wouldn’t be targets for Alabama/Ohio State/USC type schools.

Players like Jordan Love at QB would become the players poached by Harbaugh/Michigan.
Like LSU needs a QB to replace Burrow next year they would look around college football and find a good starting QB at another school and poach them.

Alton Robinson types will want to be at P5 schools with a shot to move up draft boards.
A player like Andre Smyzt could get poached by Alabama.

Western Michigan had those two playmakers - guys like that are gone.

This change really concerns me. I agree with the other posters that it will only make a few other programs stronger. King with Houston is a good example. He was a starter but transferred to Miami for more exposure. Same with the lb with temple. I know these are mid major not power 5 teams but I could see good players on non blue blood power 5 teams continue to leave with the thought of bigger exposure or a chance to play for a national title. Just my thoughts.

This rule is going to hurt Syracuse basketball walkons getting basketball scholarships. As their is no reason we shouldn’t recruit players to help the team from lower level transfers who want to move on.
In football players aren’t going to move on as freely as players don’t leave early for the NFL until after 3 years.

This rule will effect mainly college QBs who can play.

Also anyone bemoaning the rule forget that coaches can move from lower jobs to higher jobs without sitting out.
Players who are the sport should be given the same treatment.

It will be for the Jamie Newmans of the world, who break out, and the big school says how did we miss out on him.

What will be interesting to see is how a kid like that would be actively recruited, and if there will be any rules around that?

But it will help schools like us too. For years we've wondered why a top recruit at QB would go to a school who signed a top talent the previous year. And for years, we've been told it's because their not afraid of competition. Not anymore. They will get wined and dined during recruitment, but then when it looks like it will be a long wait to see the field, they will downshift to a P5 where they can play.

They can't transfer unless they are in good academic standing. The thought that as seasoned and proven students they need a year off academically is absurd. If they were truly worried about academics, then a mandatory red-shirt rule across all sports would be in play. The rule was all about controlling the student athlete in the money sports, which happen to be dominated by (generally) less well off, African American men.
You're showing recency bias. This rule came about a long, long time ago, well before African American players were even in most lineups, let alone dominate them. Way, way, way Back in the Day, there were itinerant players that would change schools almost yearly and the "sit out" rule was designed to curb that practice.

I'm ambivalent about the change. If they want to change the rule, that's fine. I have no problem with conferences keeping the sit-out rule for intra-conference transfers of non-graduates. I also think that more players will leave the blue bloods than will go into them. There are a lot of players that think they're hot stuff, ride the bench at a blue blood, and come to realize that if they took that offer from a non-blue blood, they'd be a starter.

Are they talking about this taking the place of the Grad transfer loophole?
Doesn't seem to be that way. It seems like they're talking about folks who aren't in a position to graduate yet. Even if so, how many people total would end up playing for 3 schools? 10? 15?

Doesn't seem to be that way. It seems like they're talking about folks who aren't in a position to graduate yet. Even if so, how many people total would end up playing for 3 schools? 10? 15?
Shifting gears--there are quite a few BB transfers who end up playing at 3 schools. First year at school A; second year sit out as a transfer; third year & fourth year at school B; then, with diploma in hand, fifth year at school C. See Geno Thorpe.

Also anyone bemoaning the rule forget that coaches can move from lower jobs to higher jobs without sitting out.
Players who are the sport should be given the same treatment.
That's why I posted above that they should make the same rule for coaches. Can only leave a school once every 4 years to go to a different school w/o sitting out. That will give more stability to the players.

Last edited:
It will be for the Jamie Newmans of the world, who break out, and the big school says how did we miss out on him.

What will be interesting to see is how a kid like that would be actively recruited, and if there will be any rules around that?

But it will help schools like us too. For years we've wondered why a top recruit at QB would go to a school who signed a top talent the previous year. And for years, we've been told it's because their not afraid of competition. Not anymore. They will get wined and dined during recruitment, but then when it looks like it will be a long wait to see the field, they will downshift to a P5 where they can play.
Will definitely decrease the pressure for everyone to get a good QB straight from HS. I just fear College football is turning into college basketball in the respect that you don't have enough time to make a connection to the top players and watch them grow and develop because they're often gone after a short pitstop.
I miss the old days where you had a Derrick Coleman, John Wallace, Lawrence Moten for 4 years.

I hear you. One of the things that makes college football great is having those teams that come out of nowhere and pulls off a major upset or cracks the top 20 (Cuse a few years back). I fear that the gap between the have & have-nots will widen. Yes, we may be able to pick up a blue-blood cast-off who is buried on the depth chart but it will also be enticing for a lower to mid P5 star player to play for a contender (the rich will get richer).
True

but its also a clear a system where people can just transfer willy nilly causes chaos too
Chaos in college athletics. So what. In the scheme of things, it's not something that matters

Exactly what I think. I like the freedom it provides the players. But as far as being a Syracuse fan, I think we would be able to get some castoffs from the blue bloods but not sure we'd always benefit from this rule.

I am all for the player. But there is no universe where this doesn't overwhelmingly help the few elite programs increase their advantage. Everyone using the example of high level recruits who get buried on the depth chart at an elite program are forgetting that this fact pattern deprives a coaching staff the ability to further evaluate a prospect, decisions will be based off that players high school film. Meanwhile, elite players from lesser programs will have game film competing against other D1 athletes. Advantage blue bloods. This will be great for the players but terrible for college athletics.

I am all for the player. But there is no universe where this doesn't overwhelmingly help the few elite programs increase their advantage. Everyone using the example of high level recruits who get buried on the depth chart at an elite program are forgetting that this fact pattern deprives a coaching staff the ability to further evaluate a prospect, decisions will be based off that players high school film. Meanwhile, elite players from lesser programs will have game film competing against other D1 athletes. Advantage blue bloods. This will be great for the players but terrible for college athletics.

Excellent point about lack of game film on the backups. That said, the only logical strategy is to take that 4-star OL or DL on the bench at Penn State or Ohio State every chance you get!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom