Stay classy, Kentucky | Syracusefan.com

Stay classy, Kentucky

I live in Kentucky. Born and raised. This does not surprise me one little bit.
Kentucky certainly has a large fanbase, and that is admirable. While every fanbase has it's share of crazies, Kentucky seems to have a disproportionately large amount of crazies. Perhaps they feed off the group mentality, but they have no problem crossing the line. If we Syracuse fans had the same mentality as those UK fans, the officials of the Ohio State game would be dead.

Would anyone be shocked if our fans did something like this?

Every team has idiots among their fan base. Kentucky by virtue of being the biggest program in the country in a backwater state probably has more.

They went after his business and now they're terrorizing him and his family. I hope there are arrests.

Kentucky certainly has a large fanbase, and that is admirable. While every fanbase has it's share of crazies, Kentucky seems to have a disproportionately large amount of crazies. Perhaps they feed off the group mentality, but they have no problem crossing the line. If we Syracuse fans had the same mentality as those UK fans, the officials of the Ohio State game would be dead.

Yeah UK basketball is life around here. There is nothing else for a lot of these people.
Most everyone I know is a UK fan and it has been a fandom passed down from generation to generation. They live, eat, and breathe it.
Kentucky Sports Radio with Matt Jones has call-ins and it is hilarious. The most backwood redneck people call in and talk crazy.
Its a trip.
I have been known to troll them on my facebook page when they lose and its so easy to get them into a fit of rage.
One thing to know about UK, they never lose. They only ever get cheated by the refs.

Unfortunate but not surprised. Many fanbases would do this including some portion of ours I bet. They think Higgins has it out for them going back to a tourney game against Wisconsin. It's a product of society now. Anybody can be attacked and disrespected. Sucks all around.

Yeah UK basketball is life around here. There is nothing else for a lot of these people.
Most everyone I know is a UK fan and it has been a fandom passed down from generation to generation. They live, eat, and breathe it.
Kentucky Sports Radio with Matt Jones has call-ins and it is hilarious. The most backwood redneck people call in and talk crazy.
Its a trip.
I have been known to troll them on my facebook page when they lose and its so easy to get them into a fit of rage.
One thing to know about UK, they never lose. They only ever get cheated by the refs.

A large portion of our fans and posters here as well believe your last sentence.

Every team has idiots among their fan base. Kentucky by virtue of being the biggest program in the country in a backwater state probably has more.

They went after his business and now they're terrorizing him and his family. I hope there are arrests.
I don't know about Cuse fans threatening to kill a ref. I mean we had to deal with Jim Burr and Tim Higgins for decades and I don't remember them getting death threats. If they didn't it wasn't because they weren't two of the worst officials to walk the planet earth.

I don't recall for certain, but did any of our fans do this when questionable calls cost us in the Final 4 vs. Michigan a few years ago? I don't remember hearing about any death threats?

Its a trip.

Sports talk radio in Lexington is the blurst.

I don't recall for certain, but did any of our fans do this when questionable calls cost us in the Final 4 vs. Michigan a few years ago? I don't remember hearing about any death threats?

New world. People are emboldened and crazy. We have politicians and public figures who sic their legion of feral supporters on random people. A guy was just charged for assault with a deadly weapon for sending a Twitter DM intended to induce a seizure to a reporter he didn't like. Privacy and decency has eroded even more since the Michigan game just 4 years ago.

No but I could see SU fans doing what UK fans have been in terms of Higgins' successful roofing business, Rooferies (lol). Tons of fans have been creating false FB reviews and via other platforms as fictitious clients trashing his business. The only surprise to me is how resourceful and creative UK fans have become in order to trash Higgins.

Last edited:
Unfortunate but not surprised. Many fanbases would do this including some portion of ours I bet. They think Higgins has it out for them going back to a tourney game against Wisconsin. It's a product of society now. Anybody can be attacked and disrespected. Sucks all around.
If Higgins was smart he'd use the liberal media to his advantage. A black ref receiving death threats from a predominantly white fan base. All he has to do is go on CNN and play the race card to flip the script.

If Higgins was smart he'd use the liberal media to his advantage. A black ref receiving death threats from a predominantly white fan base. All he has to do is go on CNN and play the race card to flip the script.
Higgins is black?

I can't see SU fans sending death threats to a ref. To Gottlieb? Sure, and who would argue with that? ;)

Oh wait, Higgins is like Peter Griffin, is that what you were saying? His great, great grandfather was Nate Higgins?

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

upload_2017-3-29_11-36-11.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom