Stay Tuned: MSG being Discussed! | Syracusefan.com

Stay Tuned: MSG being Discussed!

at the ACC Spring Meetings...right now. Not sure how it is going to go but several AD's indicating it would be a terrific win for the ACC--only block maybe the length of contract. May know something very soon.

I'm going to save Marsh the trouble and note that this has the potential of being boner inducing. Hopefully MSG is as game as the ACC appears to be.

Thanks for all your updates throughout this whole conference change.

Laura Keeley@laurakeeley 26m
The best hoops conference (the ACC's words) is going to play its tournament in a city most in the country couldn't find on a map? Please

Laura Keeley Duke's beat writer for the Charlotte Observer and Raleigh News & Observer is basically laying the foundation for the fact the tournament is going to be moving to MSG. She had the B1G-ACC challenge games beforehand and gets a lot of ACC stuff right. She is plugged into the ACC office. I think its obvious MSG is going to get the ACC Tournament as soon as it can. Most likely starting in 2016 IMO.

Edit: here is Brett McMurphy's article about it. http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9278832/acc-investigating-playing-conference-tournament-madison-square-garden-sources-say

MSG always felt like the ACC’s end game, glad to hear they aren’t holding onto much Greensboro loyalty as it would be incredible if it happened. Imagine a Cuse, Duke, UNC, Louisville ACC semifinal at MSG. Talk about a tough ticket.

at the ACC Spring Meetings...right now. Not sure how it is going to go but several AD's indicating it would be a terrific win for the ACC--only block maybe the length of contract. May know something very soon.
This is the one of the final pieces in the quest to reestablish the ACC as the best basketball conference.

Glad the powers that be are thinking so clearly and progressively on this. It has to be hard on the old time ACC schools to move their baby so far north.

This is the one of the final pieces in the quest to reestablish the ACC as the best basketball conference.

Glad the powers that be are thinking so clearly and progressively on this. It has to be hard on the old time ACC schools to move their baby so far north.

I agree this is a great move, but I wonder what the southern folks will get in agreeing to this. MSG should be a no brainer, but if I'm an established ACC member with fans entrenched in the south, I'd need something in return to soften the blow for the local fans.

I agree this is a great move, but I wonder what the southern folks will get in agreeing to this. MSG should be a no brainer, but if I'm an established ACC member with fans entrenched in the south, I'd need something in return to soften the blow for the local fans.

Yeah...their something will be prime time ESPN hyping, on location from the biggest city in the world.

And if they don't like it they can take their nascar and grits and shove it.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes

I thought the catholic 7 locked MSG up until past 2020
MSG has an opt-clause when certain attendance numbers aren't met, and trust me Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Villanova are all small Catholic schools who won't be able to fillup MSG consistently. UConn, Syracuse had the biggest fanbases, and recently Louisville filled up MSG. If the ACC will commit to MSG a consistent or semi-consistent basis MSG will go with ACC over the Big East. Only Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and maybe Creighton have decent fanbases that will travel. Providence, Seton Hall, Butler, DePaul, Xavier aren't big and St. John's has lost a lot of city support which has gone towards Syracuse and UConn the Johnnies only draw well now when UConn, Syracuse, and Duke come to MSG.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes
Split the baby, fair waiy is pick 3 alternating sites, maybe 2. Throw Boston, NY, Charlotte, or Atlanta un the mix

I would assume if MSG did get it then the tournament final would have to be changed from Sunday afternoon to prime-time Saturday night? Right? IT JUST MAKES TOO MUCH DAMN SENSE.

Split the baby, fair waiy is pick 3 alternating sites, maybe 2. Throw Boston, NY, Charlotte, or Atlanta un the mix

Seems that MSG wants a long term every year kind of deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msg has wanted a 5 yr run acc has wanted to rotate it every other year between nyc and unc. a compromise I could see that would work for both is.
2014: north Carolina
2015:north Carolina
those 2 are already set.
16:MSG
17:MSG
18:MSG
19:north carolina
20:north carolina
21:north carolina
22:msg
23:north Carolina
24:msg
25:north Carolina
26:msg
27:north Carolina

think of the 3 yr run between 2016-2018 as a trial run were afterwards there are opt-outs for both sides

Seems that MSG wants a long term every year kind of deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This won't be a problem. All MSG wants is a guaranteed tenant every March. If the ACC decides it only wants MSG every other year, or 2 out of 3 years, there will always be a conferance who will want to play at MSG in the odd year. The Big East & AAC obvisouly would fill the gap when the ACC isn't there. And don't forget about the Big Ten. I'm sure MSG won't mind rotating between ACC and Big Ten. They(Big Ten & ACC) are the only conferances that would guarantee sellouts for every session of a conf tourny.

This won't be a problem. All MSG wants is a guaranteed tenant every March. If the ACC decides it only wants MSG every other year, or 2 out of 3 years, there will always be a conferance who will want to play at MSG in the odd year. The Big East & AAC obvisouly would fill the gap when the ACC isn't there. And don't forget about the Big Ten. I'm sure MSG won't mind rotating between ACC and Big Ten. They(Big Ten & ACC) are the only conferances that would guarantee sellouts for every session of a conf tourny.
This is the only reason I think the ACC may agree to an every year deal with MSG. While the southern schools surely want to keep it in NC or at least a rotation... they also want to keep the B1G out of NY.

The ACC needs to realize they are not a North Carolina conference anymore, their survival as a conference came from adding Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville. This is an entirely different conference then before, and if it truly is going to be big-time, it needs to be playing at the best arena in the world in prime time. You think ESPN'S promotion of the Big East was something, You could have quarterfinals NC St-North Carolina, Wake Forest-Duke, Pittsburgh-Syracuse, Notre Dame-Louisville. By the way Georgia Tech has been good at times, Florida St, Miami are getting better, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Clemson occasionally win 20.

We do realize this is not our conference anymore (meaning Va/NC/SC schools). It is our conference (Boston to Chicago and down to Miami), larger, more dynamic, and with more potential. And we realize that much of the tradition will give way to progress and most of us embrace it.

That said, the ACC Tournament is the single greatest tradition event in the state of North Carolina. 8 teams (was 9 with Maryland) are within and easy day's drive. It is an obsession here. Kids used to bring in TVs to school for the Thursday day games. (Championship was on Saturday then.) My guess is this will only work as an alternating sight. Greensboro or Charlotte one year, MSG the next, and so on. That would be the ideal.

How that can happen, I don't know. MSG apparently wants annual commitment. Just don't know if the NBE (Cath 7) could be negotiated into alternating also so MSG is booked annually. Apparently, MSG can get out of NBE contract only if certain metrics are not met.

This is the only reason I think the ACC may agree to an every year deal with MSG. While the southern schools surely want to keep it in NC or at least a rotation... they also want to keep the B1G out of NY.

I can't see the B1G going to NYC. The only schools near are Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers. Penn State and Rutgers have less basketball history than any of the schools in the conference. (OK, throw Nebraska, Northwestern in there too.)

They do have alumni there. I don't know. Makes more sense to rotate NBE or AAC. NBE could play Chicago or Indianapolis easily in alternating years if they could be talked into it.

(Actually Rutgers doesn't have much tradition in anything really.)

I can't see the B1G going to NYC. The only schools near are Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers. Penn State and Rutgers have less basketball history than any of the schools in the conference. (OK, throw Nebraska, Northwestern in there too.)

They do have alumni there. I don't know. Makes more sense to rotate NBE or AAC. NBE could play Chicago or Indianapolis easily in alternating years if they could be talked into it.

(Actually Rutgers doesn't have much tradition in anything really.)
There is more tradition with the teams from Double Dribble than Rutgers

Double_Dribble_NES_screen.png

I am feeling a little differently than most people on this board. I've been to only two BETs, the last two, and it was definitely an awesome experience (especially this year). BUT - it was hideously expensive, and exhausting. (Granted, I am older, and am more easily exhausted.) I understand the appeal of driving up to a stadium, getting out, and going to see a ball game! And it not costing $500 a pop. It's not a bad drive to NC from here, and there are a lot of flights. Hotels are plentiful and CHEAP. The weather would be good. Spring would not be in full swing, but it probably wouldn't be snowing like it was in NYC.

I dunno, guys, I see the appeal of Greensboro.

However, I think it is inevitable that the tourney will swing between MSG and NC, possibly landing permanently in the Garden. And whether or not the ACC tournament is in Greensboro or NYC, people will still be bringing their media devices into work, watching games, playing hookey! When I was working in a child mental health center in Burlington from 1979-82, our director brought his television in and we all watched whenever we could. It was great! Dean Smith was God. This transition will be hard for our North Carolina brethren. So far, most of my friends are still fighting it. However, I am getting excited!

MSG gets the ACC tournament and Charlotte/Greensboro can host a doubleheader ACC/B1G game each year. Duke/Wake Forest host a doubleheader one year and UNC/NC St get it the opposite year. The Carolina schools will be guaranteed games in the challenge each year while Charlotte/Greensboro get a high profile event each year.

At a minimum, I don't see the bottom feeder 1st round selling out anywhere (unless it was a high school gym), let alone at MSG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom